Norton IS killing my CPU speed

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
My usual complaints that I field from everyone is that "I can't uninstall norton!"

But yeah, so what is it? Firewall? Virus scanner?

What are your specs and what version of norton are you running?

I have heard about this from too many people, and experienced it too often myself not to believe that Norton (even more so than other AV / Security products) is a system hog.

This is why I particularly like having a dual-core CPU. It really matters in a case like this.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
well this is why you only ever get norton coporate edition(the only good norton Virus scanner), if you cant get that or cant afford it then get Avast or AVG for free....

HoldenMcGroin

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
Isn't it kinda funny how Norton uses up computer resources just like a virus does?

I like Trend Micro housecall. It's an internet based virus scanner that only uses resources when you're scanning.

How did you know that Norton Internet Security is killing your cpu speed? I'm using one along with an 840 and don't notice about that? Hmm very interesting claim.

Burnsie didn't tell us what else is running on his computer. His computer might have been close to being maxed out before Norton.

I agree with T/C above. A lot of people come into the shop that have Norton running, and the machine runs like crap. It doesn't do a good job of killing or stopping spyware, as can be attested by the sheer amount removed from the machines that come in. Last machine had 470 "bugs" running in the background. And YES, Norton is a systems hog. Getting rid of it and installing AVG is a pretty good and cheap alternative to going out and buying the next best thing.

I would also run lavasoft ad-aware. That will catch a lot of things that shouldn't be on your system. Every website you go on, including this one, leave tracking cookies and other malware behind. Shame on Toms'.

Another good thing to try once in a while is Trend Micro House Calls. Google it. This will nail things others will not. Just follow instructions and you're set. Let it run til it's done. Good Luck

azomiss

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
try using NOD32 as a great antivirus

ZoneAlarm Pro as a great firewall

and

Webroot Spy Sweeper as a great anti spyware ;)

PeAcE

Burnsie

Distinguished
May 3, 2005
Thanks for all of the suggestions on the AV/firewall/spyware software. It really helps.

My setup is brand spanking new:

AMD X2 4400+
2 Gb of Mem

So It shouldn't be hogging that much. It noticeably (sp?) slowed down my system, and I just don't appreciate that.

Any other reccomendations?

Colonel_Curly

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
lol, he HAS a dual core.....

Nay, no more suggestions really jus uninstall it an install AVG/Avast or whichever you pick for you anti-virus. Get sum spyware removers installed too (spybot and Adaware are what I use)

Do this whilst NOT connected to the web though lol

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Meh, my damn Razer mouse drivers take up quite a bit of memory.

Nah, I learned to stay away from Norton also. I used BitDefender for a while, but I didn't like that either, and there were times when it auto-updates when I'm gaming and my computer slows to a crawl. Ugh.

I just have Zone Alarm security suite to handle everything for me. It's built in Anti-virus and spyware aren't that great, but I never had a problem, so see no reason to get anything better.

Scooby2

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
NIS and its family of products are nearly as bad as the stuff they are trying to protect you from. Apart from installing rootkit like stuff onto your system (I think this may have stopped after the "Sony rootkit" incident) they devour system resources and can be royal pain in the rear to uninstall. Not to mention the fact that they are not that great at stopping threats in the first place.

Go with something like AVG/Zone alarm/Spybot S&D instead, a much better soloution all round.

Other products worth a mention are Ad-aware, Avast, Anti-vir.

mcgruff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Most experienced computer users would agree: avoid Norton software like the plague.

One exception would be Ghost 2003. It's a good app but does want to install some services & system tray bits. Turn them off in msconfig.

Scooby2

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
Ghost used to be a straight forward package that did its job efficently and well. Symantec got their hands on it and its been getting worse ever since. Symantec's business model seems to be, take a great app like Ghost and bloat it to the point its not worth using any more. Also what combination of drugs were they on when comming up with Ghost 10 ?

If it wasnt for NTFS I would be using the Ghostbyte version still.

ValueDriven

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
I noted a significant system slow down when I recently upgraded from NSW (Premier) and NIS 2005 to 2006. I also upgraded from Webroot SpySweeper 4 to 5 at about the same time. Sometimes everything had the appearance of almost freezing up. Using a freeware prog Sysinternals Process Explorer (alternatively but not as effectively, you could use Windows Task Manager - Processes tab, clicking on CPU to get highest usage at the top) I found Norton and SpySweeper occaisionally running using large amounts of system resources. SpySweeper got a little better with another upgraded ver 5. Basically, if I'm doing something and I'm not using the i-net, I just block or disable my i-net access and shut these down until I go online again.

Ghost used to be a straight forward package that did its job efficently and well. Symantec got their hands on it and its been getting worse ever since. Symantec's business model seems to be, take a great app like Ghost and bloat it to the point its not worth using any more. Also what combination of drugs were they on when comming up with Ghost 10 ?

If it wasnt for NTFS I would be using the Ghostbyte version still.

So true. I bought Ghost 10 to find it was a giant peice of poop! I have since bought the Enterprise Edition and it is working great. The Enterprise Edition is really straight forward, I recommend it.

mcgruff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Crazy isn't it? It's the same "we know what's best for you and we'll gladly trample all over your PC to do it" attitude a la Windows and Genuine Spyvantage etc etc. Lucky we've got the bittorrent time machine ;)

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
The only Norton product that worked semi-well for me was Systemworks, and I felt that it integrated decently well into my system. The 05 was nice, 06... I didn't want to use it because i heard issues about it. But the 05 had everything I wanted, especially the undelete feature, which saved my ass numerous times.