HTC Blames 2012's Lack of Success on Marketing

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Maybe they should look at there phones. They used to have top of the line phones.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Most people in my area had never even heard of HTC until after 2009... And then they seemed to have a reputation of being rock solid reliable.
But they didn't build on that. Yeah, it was poor marketing with mediocre products that hurt them.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]LordConrad[/nom]Marketing, really? Stop making phones with unchangeable batteries and no microSD card slots and sales should increase. It's not rocket science.[/citation]

Add to that getting rid of the damn Sense overlay. Its bloated, buggy, and laggy; and the reason I wont buy another one of their phones (previous owner of 3 HTC android phones).

psykhe

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
[citation][nom]LordConrad[/nom]Marketing, really? Stop making phones with unchangeable batteries and no microSD card slots and sales should increase. It's not rocket science.[/citation]

Honestly I do not care that much about that. What kills them for me is a unchangeable *small* battery.

If you make the battery unchangeable at least put a decently sized one in and do not go with a moronic "customers want thin phones rather than longer lasting ones" sales pitch.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
If HTC is really that concerned and actually reads these comments, When I renewed my contract and saw what they were offering at that time to replace my EVO 4G, none of HTC's flagship models had user replaceable batteries (Apple Syndrome) and they got rid of the micro SDXC card slot.

That is when I said Hello to my GS3...... end of story. It is little things like that which android power users want and why take them away?

Whom ever made that choice at HTC needs a demotion.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
reason to not go htc.. updates, the evo can run 4.0 no problem when you root it, but nope never officially released, they did release ics for the evo 3-d but that was only a few months back... if they really want good marketing pull a nexus and promise updates within 2 months of updates for 3 years provided the hardware meets the minimum requirments for said update.. really any manifacturer who does this for android will be banking (yes i know the nexus lien does that is why i use a nexus btu its a lien not a brand) ... this is the one thing i like abotu apple, they release and update and it goes live for all devices, well at least fo rthose devices that meet hardware requirments.

sickofthis00

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Im sick of hearing this hypocritical crap.......
when apple does this: "omg they are such a closed platform"
when google does it with the nexus 4: "oh its alright, its such a cool phone, i don't need that stuff anyways"
when htc does it: well, just look at the stupid stuff said in the quote... not the first time i see this too...
[citation][nom]kinney[/nom]1 word: Thunderbolt.FU HTC.[/citation]
You should be pissed off at verizon... It is almost always the carrier's fault when there are update delays. Also i'm sure they said it was slow with 4.0 because of all the crap verizon added to the software after htc gave it in for customization.
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Marketing? They think it was because of their lack of marketing? Looks like HTC is in denial.[/citation]
Have you heard of any other phone other than the iphone or the s3 in the outside world? I doubt it.. With all the publicity Apple vs Samsung is getting + all the money samsung put into the S3 with the olympics and their features (exclusives), there is no doubt in my mind that not many people hear of the choices HTC offers.

Lastly, I just would like to say that I own none of phone brands mentioned above, but know people with at least one of each of them (S2, S3, I4, I5, OneV & OneS). HTC has solid phones. The One S and One V I have tried have very solid builds. They feel of quality when being held. As for the software, my friend upgraded his One S with CM10 and is in

sickofthis00

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
The rest of my comment got cut off...anyways rewriting it here:

and is in <3 with it now. Given, the original software included may not be great, but the hardware is.

Summary: What HTC said is correct. Samsung put a ton of money into their S3 marketing (as seen on TV and Olympics and youtube ads every 2 seconds). It really was because of the lack of marketing

psykhe

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom] ... this is the one thing i like abotu apple, they release and update and it goes live for all devices, well at least fo rthose devices that meet hardware requirments.[/citation]

Yes, because you really need the hardware of the 4S to be able to do turn-by-turn navigation which android phones have since..what? 2 years?
Apple does not exclude functionalities because of hardware issues, but because they want to motivate users to buy a newer device.

Mind, Apple has despite that still a vastly superior update policy than any Android OEMs. The one for Googles Nexus devices is better though, my Nexus S got updates with all functions longer than the iPhone 3G or 4.

LordConrad

Distinguished
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]Add to that getting rid of the damn Sense overlay. Its bloated, buggy, and laggy; and the reason I wont buy another one of their phones (previous owner of 3 HTC android phones).[/citation]
I'm not bothered by Sense because I root all my android phones, but the Rezound will be my last HTC phone if they stick with integrated batteries and no expandable memory. I always get extended batteries for using my phone as a hotspot.

LordConrad

Distinguished
[citation][nom]sickofthis00[/nom]Im sick of hearing this hypocritical crap....... when apple does this: "omg they are such a closed platform"when google does it with the nexus 4: "oh its alright, its such a cool phone, i don't need that stuff anyways"when htc does it: well, just look at the stupid stuff said in the quote... not the first time i see this too...

It's not hypocritical, I don't buy Apple or Google phones for the same reasons.

sickofthis00

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
[citation][nom]LordConrad[/nom][citation][nom]sickofthis00[/nom]Im sick of hearing this hypocritical crap....... when apple does this: "omg they are such a closed platform"when google does it with the nexus 4: "oh its alright, its such a cool phone, i don't need that stuff anyways"when htc does it: well, just look at the stupid stuff said in the quote... not the first time i see this too...It's not hypocritical, I don't buy Apple or Google phones for the same reasons.[/citation]

Then its just stupid. Explain sales of those phones then

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]kinney[/nom]1 word: Thunderbolt.FU HTC.[/citation]

It was a half-a$$ attempt. I loved my thunderbolt a lot, then I actually used it...

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]sickofthis00[/nom]Im sick of hearing this hypocritical crap....... when apple does this: "omg they are such a closed platform"when google does it with the nexus 4: "oh its alright, its such a cool phone, i don't need that stuff anyways"when htc does it: well, just look at the stupid stuff said in the quote..[/citation]

Apple's iPhone at retail is also nearly double the price then the Nexus phone.

The Nexus phone is dirt cheap for the hardware specs, so of course it's not going to have everything in it.

HTC has no excuse as their phones retail price is still higher then the Nexus 4's by a few 100 dollars.

It's not hypocritical if the situations are completely different, fool.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]Add to that getting rid of the damn Sense overlay. Its bloated, buggy, and laggy; and the reason I wont buy another one of their phones (previous owner of 3 HTC android phones).[/citation]Adding to that, as a programmer: it's a pain because it makes us put special cases for HTC phones, and it's hard to cover every nook and cranny of HTC's stuff

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
What marketing? I haven't seen a single HTC advert, despite being a huge fan of some of their handsets and using them for several years now.

chuckchurch

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2005
Not sure who to blame for the Thunderbolt fiasco. I had one, worked well til June of last year, then it sucked. Not sure if HTC is to blame, or if Verizon managed to suckify it. They swapped it, suggested SIM card. Finally replaced that with Droid Bionic, which had same symptoms. Finally the Droid got ICS, and problems went away. I still think Verizon is more to blame, terrible job of communicating the problem with 4G.

Status
Not open for further replies.