Playing game and watchig DVD at the same time???

danbooky

Distinguished
May 28, 2006
I can't seem to Playing full screen game (Age of Mythology) and watching DVD movie at the same time at two different Monitor (1364x780). Need help please.
E6700 at 3.5
2gz 6400
Using latest ATI Catalyst control center.
All in wonder x1900 :cry:

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I'm not sure if your video card will let you... and I don't know of any software that does it either...

Then again, I don't see any reason why any normal person wants to do what you do...

Pleo

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004
I just tried the theory I had on this and couldn’t get to work in 2 monitors connected to one card. Now I am pretty sure I did this before with a monitors and a TV display but it’s been a while.

Now I can play Everquest and watch TV/DVD in a second monitor but Everquest has to be in windowed mode. So if Age of Mythology runs in windowed mode try that.

I tried these tests on a ATI 9800 pro with the latest catylst at my workplace.

I will try the one monitor and one tv output when Im on my home computer later to see if its viable. Should be able to test with any game as long as its full screen.

SciPunk

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
FOLKS... PLEASE... before you post, ask youself... did I answer the question asked? If not, then please shut up. A comment like "Why would you want to do that" should be translated as "I don't know how to do that, but I'm starved for attention and want to see my name on the screen."

I've tried for hours and hours to get dual monitors to do what they SHOULD be able to do... that is put different output on two screens consistently. It just doesn't work. It has to be addressed at the engineering level. As soon as one screen uses "full screen mode", all bets are off.

For example, just pop in a CD or play an MP3 w/ Windows Media Player w/ the visualization on. All will work fine as long as it's in a window, but once you put it in full screne mode, the mouse/pointer is unavailable and your 2nd monitor either blank or funky w/ neative images of your desktop.

The whole dual screen is clearly a work around. They're not taking it seriously at the design stage.

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
strange that it doesnt want to work... I've 2 monitors setup on my current rig a while back and I was able to play a game fullscreen on one and play a movie/music/video on the other. changed it now because I needed the extra screen for another comp, but I can tell you it worked for me.

I think I was useing 5.x cat drivers at the time, I'm not sure tho

shaba230

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Hello,

I am still on my old computer and I can watch a dvd using Intervideo winDVD (on either monitor, my primary or secondary) and I can do anything i want in the other window, fullscreen or windowed with no problems.

As long as I am using two different programs to display things, like I can't have windows media player playing something full screen on one monitor and windows media player fullscreen from a embedded webpage on the other...that wont work...one will just show black.

I am using a very old ATI RADEON VE (32MB) on two 19" widescreen LCD monitors.

I have however configured dual display settings within windows and I have also downloaded UltraMon to extend my taskbar, dont know if that's helping the situation or not...but it's worth a shot.

P.S. I have the newest ATI drivers (just got them a few weeks ago) so that might play some part too.

Good luck

sluzbenik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Have you tried starting the movie, dragging it to the extended desktop and then full-screening it?

That's tricky...mostly the drivers are just designed for extending windowed programs onto other desktops.

danbooky

Distinguished
May 28, 2006
I use my computer to play DVD in the Living room. And while my kids are watching DVD, I want to play my games. Simple as that. I will see if mythology let me play in the window mode or not. But if anyone ever sussessfully Doing it please let me know how. Or is it just the limitation of the AIW X1900 and the ATI catalyst? :cry: