Can't figure out this mobo

Colonel_Curly

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I've been trying to figure out what motherboard a friend of mine has so that he can run oblivion. He's bought the game only to find out that he cant run it lol
I know he's got a AMD (not sure on wat model or socket type) which is too low run oblivion and that he needs a new gcard too.
Now, the mobo is definately AGP but will any AGP card run on it? Crucial's website mobo scanner recommended a X1600 even though it appears to be a Nvidia mobo :?

Check out the screenshot of Belarc's scanner results below if it helps

http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mikesbelarcsystemao5.png

Thanks

Colonel_Curly

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
ahhh now, there's a problem with that. Ya see my friend lives a gd distance from me, where I'm not exactly sure tbh, and he isn't very technical with computers at all.
I'll probs arrange a meeting with him nxt week and see if Ian open it myself.

Thanks anyway

ZimboBEAR

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
get him to install PC wizard, its basically some free software that tells you everything about your pc. Its fairly easy to use, and by clicking on the mainboard icon he can view his motherboard details which can save to file and send to you via email, he can also do the same thing with the CPU by clicking on the Processor icon.

good little app that to find out what exactly is going on in your pc.

GavinLeigh

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Well from the spec you posted it could be a Socket A motherboard with an Athlon XP 2100 CPU ( running at 1.73Ghz ). That's pretty poor for running Oblivion. But it probably has an nvidia Nforce 2 chipset ... which isn't bad for socket A.

If you get a new processor.... a Sempron 3000+ Socket A chip or a Barton core XP (hard to find now) and a decent AGP graphics card you may be able to play the game. It doesn't matter if it's ATI of Nvidia graphics card, but I have stuck with Nvidia Graphics with my Nvidia chipset boards.

But honestly... with the PC prices as low as they are now... you might want to consider getting a new PC. I have been along the upgrade path many times and it often is not as satisfying as a new rig.

Buy a cheapish dual core machine with 1Gb or ram... then add a decent graphics card. X1900 series or 7900 and then you'll be set.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
To find out the exact motherboard model he should download CPU-Z.

But I agree with GavinLeigh. For ~$600 he could get a new machine that would run oblivion at middle to high settings at 12x10. Simply isnt worth the price of the upgrade.