Sign in with
Your question

P5B and SoundMax drivers seem to cause program freezes?!

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
September 26, 2006 7:43:11 PM

Hi!

Wanted to ask if someone recognizes this problem. My computer boots up fine and usually works fine until I start playing videos or sounds.. Sometimes this causes the mediaplayer (norm uses vlc but tried wmpl also) to freeze. Now this wouldn't be so bad if I could just shut down the process and restart but this is not possible. The only way to get vlc back in working order is to do a powerbutton restart (can't shut down via windows either). I run the asus p5b wifi deluxe MB..

tried reinstall drivers but same prob..any ideas anyone?

Help much appreciated!

/I

More about : p5b soundmax drivers program freezes

September 30, 2006 1:11:06 AM

Hello Ixen,

I do not have the solution but I do share a very similar problem with the same mobo. I have spent too many hours trying to have Microsoft troubleshoot this issue and they are recommending a parallel install of Windows on a separtate drive to determine if it is a hardware or system issue. The suspicion so far is that the drivers not being XP Logo compliant are the problem.

On some of the forums available others have stated that giving up on SoundMax and installing a separate sound card is the least painful option. I use the SPDIF optical out to 5.1 surround speakers and not all optional cards put that connection where a 2m or shorter optical cable can reach. From web pics of Soundblaster Platinum they put the blessed thing on the front of your machine!

I share many frustrations for how slow the Asus website is regarding such issues and it would seem they have a problem that a lot of customers would like a solution or an answer if they have one.
September 30, 2006 4:44:19 PM

Quote:
On some of the forums available others have stated that giving up on SoundMax and installing a separate sound card is the least painful option.
I share many frustrations for how slow the Asus website is regarding such issues and it would seem they have a problem that a lot of customers would like a solution or an answer if they have one.

I had the same problem with my Asus P5B Deluxe Wi/Fi everthing worked well when I disabled the on-bouard sound. So after several frustrating days, I plugged in a SB Audigy card and all's well.

I have since read in one of the forums that using older the driver from the standard (Non Deluxe) P5B board would correct this problem, but I can not confirm this since I decided to keep using the SB card for less CPU load.

Agreed Asus website forums are pretty much un-usable!
Seems like a company of that size; especially a high-end computer co. could manitain a website.
Related resources
September 30, 2006 5:09:41 PM

Thank you for sharing your hassles as it is good to hear that an Audigy takes care of these issues. Has your system been free of freeze up issues since?

I just went through an alternate suggestion from Microsoft and un-installed the sound card drivers, then re-installed. It returned the SoundMax functionality that had somehow scrambled when I attempted DirectSound tests of Voice recording. However I have had one freeze up in Office 2003>Outlook since then and guess not much has improved.

Have you had to make other tweaks or additional patches or was the SoundMax your big hassle? Do you have an optical cable out the back of your computer from your Audigy?
September 30, 2006 5:54:58 PM

Quote:
Thank you for sharing your hassles as it is good to hear that an Audigy takes care of these issues. Has your system been free of freeze up issues since?

I just went through an alternate suggestion from Microsoft and un-installed the sound card drivers, then re-installed. It returned the SoundMax functionality that had somehow scrambled when I attempted DirectSound tests of Voice recording. However I have had one freeze up in Office 2003>Outlook since then and guess not much has improved.

Have you had to make other tweaks or additional patches or was the SoundMax your big hassle? Do you have an optical cable out the back of your computer from your Audigy?

No I'm not using an optical out cable, I just threw in a cheap Audigy SE card I had left over from another upgrade, so it doesn't have it. Although I do have a add-on SPDIF card left from my old Asus P4PE board that I plan to ad in the future.

I know your wanting to retain the use of the DTS especially since you paid for extra $ for it, but Try disabling the on-board audio to verify that it is the drivers and not something else.

If you end up buying another card maybe you can locate an add-on SPDIF card like I have from ebay or something. It would save having to buy a high dollar card.
October 2, 2006 4:59:29 PM

Thanx for sharing your ideas.. I'm trying to install SP2 for XP but had some issues with it and never got around for another go...there apparantly had been some issues with certain ms security patches and soundmax drivers..Sadly my troubles might be caused by something as simple as a virus..changed AV program and found some stuff which are now removed...Hopefully my system will work better...otherwise I'll probably buy a separate sCard as you said...

/Ixen
October 2, 2006 8:28:36 PM

Hello everyone who replied in this thread & also to TG FORUMZ :D . I am so so happy to see this thread...

I live in a country where we don't have any online computer shops, neither do I had an option of ordering them from online shops in other countries. I heard alot about the ASUS P5B Deluxe so decided to get it. I had to search around for a whole week, telephone calls and everything, to find out that there is only one dealer of Asus near our city and when I visited them, they refused to place an order for me and they also refused to give 3 years warranty for it, they wanted to give me 9 months warranty instead, it did not matter anyways since they were not willing to place my order.

I contacted ASUS Distributor in my country and placed an order directly with them. Sent them money, had to wait for 2 weeks to get hands on this Mobo. It arrived, set up the new system with E6300. Everything was going smooth when I noticed that it was getting slow, very slow when I would double click on a folder...I tried the solutions which I could but then formatted. I did it like around 3 times on the new computer just to solve this problem! Then finally I decided to troubleshoot it with patience, I disabled all of the Windows services and enabled 10 of them at a time and reboot to see if the problem existed.

Turned out that Plug & Play was responsible for it but it was hard for me to believe. I looked on the services which depend on Plug & Play and I found Windows Audio there...So I disabled it and voila, every thing worked...I thought it surely is a problem with the AUdio driver. Installed latest on ASUS's website but did not help. I then thought of disabling Windows Audio scheme and it worked! So I knew what was wrong...

I was starting to get worried about the Hardware being defective...It will be a pain in you know where if I send this back. Those guys will not take it back in the first place...Anyways. I surely had this problem and figured out what was wrong, the SOUND system but I was afraid it would be my mobo.

I am glad it's not & I have been searching for this problem since like 30th, and I found this now.

Thanks guys!!!

Oh another problem happened to me. I ran Microsoft Bootvis's OPTIMISE BOOT and the boot time went into minutes. I had to format and install Windows again because of it. Has this got any thing to do with the ASUS Mobo? I read somewhere that JMicron JM363 driver should not be installed and we should use the one set by Windows.

Plus, I hope they have an update of the driver soon.

Thanks again guys! :D 
October 9, 2006 8:16:03 AM

I threw in an old soundcard just to check if this would resolve the problems as suggested buy others..it did... I used an optical cable with the inbuilt dts system but had major hangups...some games would'nt start at all..the system froze quite often and I could seldom turn off the computer via windows which in the long run would not have been very kind to my hdd...thought/hoped it could have been a virus but it seems I was wrong..

Conclusion: I'm a bit pissed that I bought a mobo where the inbuilt sound is unusable..Many persons seem to have similar issues so hopefully it's not just me..need a new scard that supports my z5500 5.1 now..

/ixen
October 9, 2006 8:45:21 PM

haven't had programs freeze but the sound sometimes doesn't work and requires restart of program and then it works.
October 22, 2006 1:14:49 PM

I'm having the exact same problem with my Asus P5B Deluxe.
Anything new about this?
I already changed the board, my PSU, reinstalled Windows, removed all PCI cards, tested a lot of MS Hotfixes.
Asus Support also just could give the obvious tips.

I'm quite pissed. It took me several hours to figure out the source of the problems and a lot more to trying get rid of it.
the dts connect Feature was the main reason of buying such an expensive board.
!