Very basic JetDirect

I have a printer sitting here on a local net behind a Linksys->DSL.
The Linksys assigns DHCP addresses starting at 192.168.1.100
(configurable). The subnet mask for the links is ONLY allowed to be
255.255.255.x, where x is currently 0, but can be about 6 pre-picked
numbers from a popup.

The printer test page is showing an IP address of 192.168.2.52, with
Appletalk active even. Am I surmising correctly that I can't see this
printer no matter what I do? How do I configure this? I am confused. The
Web JetAdmin program only runs on windows, I have Mac OS 10.3 or 9.

They say I could even telnet to it, but the telnet and ping get no
results.

Please advise
13 answers Last reply
More about very basic jetdirect

    You'll have to set up a computer on the same network first -- set
    the computer's address to 192.168.2.51, for example, and you should
    be able to telnet to the printer and change the address.

    one man army wrote:
    > I have a printer sitting here on a local net behind a Linksys->DSL.
    > The Linksys assigns DHCP addresses starting at 192.168.1.100
    > (configurable). The subnet mask for the links is ONLY allowed to be
    > 255.255.255.x, where x is currently 0, but can be about 6 pre-picked
    > numbers from a popup.
    >
    > The printer test page is showing an IP address of 192.168.2.52, with
    > Appletalk active even. Am I surmising correctly that I can't see this
    > printer no matter what I do? How do I configure this? I am confused. The
    > Web JetAdmin program only runs on windows, I have Mac OS 10.3 or 9.
    >
    > They say I could even telnet to it, but the telnet and ping get no
    > results.
    >
    > Please advise

    Or perhaps it's a printer with an LCD screen that allows you to set IP
    parameters through the front panel.

    Mike Berger wrote:

    > You'll have to set up a computer on the same network first -- set
    > the computer's address to 192.168.2.51, for example, and you should
    > be able to telnet to the printer and change the address.
    >
    > one man army wrote:
    >
    >> I have a printer sitting here on a local net behind a Linksys->DSL.
    >> The Linksys assigns DHCP addresses starting at 192.168.1.100
    >> (configurable). The subnet mask for the links is ONLY allowed to be
    >> 255.255.255.x, where x is currently 0, but can be about 6 pre-picked
    >> numbers from a popup.
    >>
    >> The printer test page is showing an IP address of 192.168.2.52, with
    >> Appletalk active even. Am I surmising correctly that I can't see this
    >> printer no matter what I do? How do I configure this? I am confused.
    >> The Web JetAdmin program only runs on windows, I have Mac OS 10.3 or 9.
    >>
    >> They say I could even telnet to it, but the telnet and ping get no
    >> results.
    >>
    >> Please advise

    The JetDirect has an Static IP address assigned to it. You could do a Cold
    Reset to set it back to the Manufacturer's Default (DHCP). Depeding on the
    Model of your printer. Cold Reset method is difference.

    Dewaine

    Mike Berger wrote:

    > You'll have to set up a computer on the same network first -- set
    > the computer's address to 192.168.2.51, for example, and you should
    > be able to telnet to the printer and change the address.
    >
    > one man army wrote:
    > > I have a printer sitting here on a local net behind a Linksys->DSL.
    > > The Linksys assigns DHCP addresses starting at 192.168.1.100
    > > (configurable). The subnet mask for the links is ONLY allowed to be
    > > 255.255.255.x, where x is currently 0, but can be about 6 pre-picked
    > > numbers from a popup.
    > >
    > > The printer test page is showing an IP address of 192.168.2.52, with
    > > Appletalk active even. Am I surmising correctly that I can't see this
    > > printer no matter what I do? How do I configure this? I am confused. The
    > > Web JetAdmin program only runs on windows, I have Mac OS 10.3 or 9.
    > >
    > > They say I could even telnet to it, but the telnet and ping get no
    > > results.
    > >
    > > Please advise

    Nope, not an LCD screen in sight. I don't really want to change the
    subnet to 192.168.2.x because there is another section of the warehouse
    that is already on the subnet and using it.

    This brings up the general question - if I have a JetDirect, and don't
    have the luxory of a config page, how to scan for the address? A net
    dude told me I look for a range of assigned MAC addresses for the
    vender, and do some kind of scan for MAC addresses. When I go to the
    only piece of sfwr I know if to do that, IPNetMonitorX, there is a
    beildering array of protocols for each of UDP and TCP shown to choose
    from, and nothing that I can see that says "scan for connected MAC
    addresses"

    There is apparently something like "HP IP Printing" defined in a
    number of apps, like our standard Printer Utility, but choosing does NOT
    perform a lookup in the local subnet - it expects us to know the address
    already and type it in. Dang, this is hard.

    It seems SO straightforward, this config. Why on earth is this not
    solved?

    one man army wrote:

    > Nope, not an LCD screen in sight. I don't really want to change the
    > subnet to 192.168.2.x because there is another section of the warehouse
    > that is already on the subnet and using it.
    >
    > This brings up the general question - if I have a JetDirect, and don't
    > have the luxory of a config page, how to scan for the address? A net
    > dude told me I look for a range of assigned MAC addresses for the
    > vender, and do some kind of scan for MAC addresses. When I go to the
    > only piece of sfwr I know if to do that, IPNetMonitorX, there is a
    > beildering array of protocols for each of UDP and TCP shown to choose
    > from, and nothing that I can see that says "scan for connected MAC
    > addresses"
    >
    > There is apparently something like "HP IP Printing" defined in a
    > number of apps, like our standard Printer Utility, but choosing does NOT
    > perform a lookup in the local subnet - it expects us to know the address
    > already and type it in. Dang, this is hard.
    >
    > It seems SO straightforward, this config. Why on earth is this not
    > solved?

    Go to HP's web site and get a copy of JetAdmin (or find the CD that came
    with the printer and use the setup routines on that).

    CJT wrote:

    > one man army wrote:
    >
    >> Nope, not an LCD screen in sight. I don't really want to change the
    >> subnet to 192.168.2.x because there is another section of the
    >> warehouse that is already on the subnet and using it.
    >> This brings up the general question - if I have a JetDirect, and
    >> don't have the luxory of a config page, how to scan for the address?
    >> A net dude told me I look for a range of assigned MAC addresses for
    >> the vender, and do some kind of scan for MAC addresses. When I go to
    >> the only piece of sfwr I know if to do that, IPNetMonitorX, there is a
    >> beildering array of protocols for each of UDP and TCP shown to choose
    >> from, and nothing that I can see that says "scan for connected MAC
    >> addresses"
    >>
    >> There is apparently something like "HP IP Printing" defined in a
    >> number of apps, like our standard Printer Utility, but choosing does
    >> NOT perform a lookup in the local subnet - it expects us to know the
    >> address already and type it in. Dang, this is hard.
    >>
    >> It seems SO straightforward, this config. Why on earth is this not
    >> solved?
    >>

    > Go to HP's web site and get a copy of JetAdmin (or find the CD that came
    > with the printer and use the setup routines on that).

    Sorry, I see from an earlier post that you're on a Mac. So get the MAC
    version of HP's setup routines. And I also see that you KNOW the IP
    address. So you can also temporarily set a machine to a compatible
    subnet and change it to whatever you like.

    >>> Or perhaps it's a printer with an LCD screen that allows you to set IP
    >>> parameters through the front panel.

    No, and No. Sorry.

    The latest version of JetAdmin seems to be for other machines besides
    mine. Going to the printer and "setting it to anything I want" is a
    problem.
    I am interestd in a tool to have some ability to handle this problem
    in general. Your quick fix answer ignores written details in the post,
    and assumes I have not tried the basic approaches. I am not an IP
    expert, but am not unable to use a computer, either.

    one man army wrote:

    > No, and No. Sorry.
    >
    > The latest version of JetAdmin seems to be for other machines besides
    > mine. Going to the printer and "setting it to anything I want" is a
    > problem.

    Temporarily take a computer and the errant printer off the network and
    hook them together using a hub or switch and some cable. Change the
    IP address of the computer to one that's compatible with (on the same
    subnet as) the current address of the printer. Change the IP address
    of the printer using either telnet or the printer's Web interface.
    Change the IP address of the computer back to what it was. Hook it
    and the printer back up to their regular position in the network. Be
    happy.

    Simple enough for you?

    CJT wrote:

    > one man army wrote:
    >
    >> No, and No. Sorry.
    >>
    >> The latest version of JetAdmin seems to be for other machines
    >> besides mine. Going to the printer and "setting it to anything I want"
    >> is a problem.
    >

    > Temporarily take a computer and the errant printer off the network and
    > hook them together using a hub or switch and some cable. Change the
    > IP address of the computer to one that's compatible with (on the same
    > subnet as) the current address of the printer. Change the IP address
    > of the printer using either telnet or the printer's Web interface.
    > Change the IP address of the computer back to what it was. Hook it
    > and the printer back up to their regular position in the network. Be
    > happy.
    >
    > Simple enough for you?

    BTW, you could also do this without the separate network stuff -- I put
    that in there to make sure it would be safe no matter what else might
    be connected to your network (e.g. in case you've got some other devices
    on the 192.168.2.0 subnet that might be interfered with); you could also
    just temporarily change the IP address of your Mac as-is.

    >> I am interestd in a tool to have some ability to handle this problem
    >> in general. Your quick fix answer ignores written details in the
    >> post, and assumes I have not tried the basic approaches. I am not an
    >> IP expert, but am not unable to use a computer, either.
    >>

    >> In article <4330DACA.1010201@prodigy.net>, CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Sorry, I see from an earlier post that you're on a Mac. So get the MAC
    >>> version of HP's setup routines. And I also see that you KNOW the IP
    >>> address. So you can also temporarily set a machine to a compatible
    >>> subnet and change it to whatever you like.

    CJT, that's a pretty clear recipe to talk to a printer with a known IP
    address, not in the current subnet range. Thank you, I appreciate that
    clarity.

    I am still looking for a way to search for printers with unknown
    addresses.

    also, someone just confirmed that LPR is "the same" as IP, so a printer
    with LPR support will respond to IP inquiries.

    The problem generally is that when setting up a printer in Mac OS 10.3,
    there are 3 main protocols listed under "IP Printing", all requiring me
    to type in my printer's <unknown or problematic> IP address.

    IP Printing
    LPD/LPR
    Internet Printing Protocol
    Socket/HP Jet Direct

    > CJT wrote:
    >
    > > one man army wrote:
    > >
    > >> No, and No. Sorry.
    > >>
    > >> The latest version of JetAdmin seems to be for other machines
    > >> besides mine. Going to the printer and "setting it to anything I want"
    > >> is a problem.
    > >

    > > Temporarily take a computer and the errant printer off the network and
    > > hook them together using a hub or switch and some cable. Change the
    > > IP address of the computer to one that's compatible with (on the same
    > > subnet as) the current address of the printer. Change the IP address
    > > of the printer using either telnet or the printer's Web interface.
    > > Change the IP address of the computer back to what it was. Hook it
    > > and the printer back up to their regular position in the network. Be
    > > happy.
    > >
    > > Simple enough for you?
    >
    > BTW, you could also do this without the separate network stuff -- I put
    > that in there to make sure it would be safe no matter what else might
    > be connected to your network (e.g. in case you've got some other devices
    > on the 192.168.2.0 subnet that might be interfered with); you could also
    > just temporarily change the IP address of your Mac as-is.
    >

    > >> I am interestd in a tool to have some ability to handle this problem
    > >> in general. Your quick fix answer ignores written details in the
    > >> post, and assumes I have not tried the basic approaches. I am not an
    > >> IP expert, but am not unable to use a computer, either.

    lexmark had (still has?) a net printing utility that was pretty powerful
    in terms of discovering devices. Macintosh compatible? don't know.
    Believe it was called Markvision

    In article <newsAT-57DFE9.15351420092005@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com>,
    one man army <newsAT@screenlightDOT.com> wrote:

    > The printer test page is showing an IP address of 192.168.2.52, with
    > Appletalk active even. Am I surmising correctly that I can't see this
    > printer no matter what I do? How do I configure this? I am confused. The
    > Web JetAdmin program only runs on windows, I have Mac OS 10.3 or 9.

    OMA-

    Look at the HP web site for HP LaserJet Utility. It runs in OS 9 or
    Classic mode using AppleTalk. It should see your printer if AppleTalk is
    active, unless there is a router involved that does not pass AppleTalk. HP
    LaserJet Utility may also be on a CD that came with the JetDirect.

    I assume the 192.168.2.52 number was assigned automatically via DHCP, but
    with the printer's mask set so it could see the other subnet. Would your
    problem be solved if you could change it to an IP in your subnet? To do
    that, you may need to temporarily assign your Mac an IP address on the
    other subnet. If you do, you may be able to access the JetDirect
    configuration page using your browser pointed at http://192.168.2.52.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie wrote:

    > In article <newsAT-57DFE9.15351420092005@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com>,
    > one man army <newsAT@screenlightDOT.com> wrote:
    >

    >> The printer test page is showing an IP address of 192.168.2.52, with
    >>Appletalk active even. Am I surmising correctly that I can't see this
    >>printer no matter what I do? How do I configure this? I am confused. The
    >>Web JetAdmin program only runs on windows, I have Mac OS 10.3 or 9.
    >

    > OMA-
    >
    > Look at the HP web site for HP LaserJet Utility. It runs in OS 9 or
    > Classic mode using AppleTalk. It should see your printer if AppleTalk is
    > active, unless there is a router involved that does not pass AppleTalk. HP
    > LaserJet Utility may also be on a CD that came with the JetDirect.
    >
    > I assume the 192.168.2.52 number was assigned automatically via DHCP,

    If that's true, I think it should eventually expire and get reset to
    something better. Perhaps the status page says whether it's static or
    set via DHCP.

    but
    > with the printer's mask set so it could see the other subnet. Would your
    > problem be solved if you could change it to an IP in your subnet? To do
    > that, you may need to temporarily assign your Mac an IP address on the
    > other subnet. If you do, you may be able to access the JetDirect
    > configuration page using your browser pointed at http://192.168.2.52.
    >
    > Fred

Printers Linksys Basic Peripherals