Very basic JetDirect

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 21, 2005 2:33:20 AM

I have a printer sitting here on a local net behind a Linksys->DSL.
The Linksys assigns DHCP addresses starting at 192.168.1.100
(configurable). The subnet mask for the links is ONLY allowed to be
255.255.255.x, where x is currently 0, but can be about 6 pre-picked
numbers from a popup.

The printer test page is showing an IP address of 192.168.2.52, with
Appletalk active even. Am I surmising correctly that I can't see this
printer no matter what I do? How do I configure this? I am confused. The
Web JetAdmin program only runs on windows, I have Mac OS 10.3 or 9.

They say I could even telnet to it, but the telnet and ping get no
results.

Please advise

More about : basic jetdirect

Anonymous
September 21, 2005 2:33:21 AM

You'll have to set up a computer on the same network first -- set
the computer's address to 192.168.2.51, for example, and you should
be able to telnet to the printer and change the address.

one man army wrote:
> I have a printer sitting here on a local net behind a Linksys->DSL.
> The Linksys assigns DHCP addresses starting at 192.168.1.100
> (configurable). The subnet mask for the links is ONLY allowed to be
> 255.255.255.x, where x is currently 0, but can be about 6 pre-picked
> numbers from a popup.
>
> The printer test page is showing an IP address of 192.168.2.52, with
> Appletalk active even. Am I surmising correctly that I can't see this
> printer no matter what I do? How do I configure this? I am confused. The
> Web JetAdmin program only runs on windows, I have Mac OS 10.3 or 9.
>
> They say I could even telnet to it, but the telnet and ping get no
> results.
>
> Please advise
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 4:56:54 AM

Or perhaps it's a printer with an LCD screen that allows you to set IP
parameters through the front panel.

Mike Berger wrote:

> You'll have to set up a computer on the same network first -- set
> the computer's address to 192.168.2.51, for example, and you should
> be able to telnet to the printer and change the address.
>
> one man army wrote:
>
>> I have a printer sitting here on a local net behind a Linksys->DSL.
>> The Linksys assigns DHCP addresses starting at 192.168.1.100
>> (configurable). The subnet mask for the links is ONLY allowed to be
>> 255.255.255.x, where x is currently 0, but can be about 6 pre-picked
>> numbers from a popup.
>>
>> The printer test page is showing an IP address of 192.168.2.52, with
>> Appletalk active even. Am I surmising correctly that I can't see this
>> printer no matter what I do? How do I configure this? I am confused.
>> The Web JetAdmin program only runs on windows, I have Mac OS 10.3 or 9.
>>
>> They say I could even telnet to it, but the telnet and ping get no
>> results.
>>
>> Please advise
September 21, 2005 7:06:00 AM

The JetDirect has an Static IP address assigned to it. You could do a Cold
Reset to set it back to the Manufacturer's Default (DHCP). Depeding on the
Model of your printer. Cold Reset method is difference.

Dewaine

Mike Berger wrote:

> You'll have to set up a computer on the same network first -- set
> the computer's address to 192.168.2.51, for example, and you should
> be able to telnet to the printer and change the address.
>
> one man army wrote:
> > I have a printer sitting here on a local net behind a Linksys->DSL.
> > The Linksys assigns DHCP addresses starting at 192.168.1.100
> > (configurable). The subnet mask for the links is ONLY allowed to be
> > 255.255.255.x, where x is currently 0, but can be about 6 pre-picked
> > numbers from a popup.
> >
> > The printer test page is showing an IP address of 192.168.2.52, with
> > Appletalk active even. Am I surmising correctly that I can't see this
> > printer no matter what I do? How do I configure this? I am confused. The
> > Web JetAdmin program only runs on windows, I have Mac OS 10.3 or 9.
> >
> > They say I could even telnet to it, but the telnet and ping get no
> > results.
> >
> > Please advise
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 7:14:19 AM

Nope, not an LCD screen in sight. I don't really want to change the
subnet to 192.168.2.x because there is another section of the warehouse
that is already on the subnet and using it.

This brings up the general question - if I have a JetDirect, and don't
have the luxory of a config page, how to scan for the address? A net
dude told me I look for a range of assigned MAC addresses for the
vender, and do some kind of scan for MAC addresses. When I go to the
only piece of sfwr I know if to do that, IPNetMonitorX, there is a
beildering array of protocols for each of UDP and TCP shown to choose
from, and nothing that I can see that says "scan for connected MAC
addresses"

There is apparently something like "HP IP Printing" defined in a
number of apps, like our standard Printer Utility, but choosing does NOT
perform a lookup in the local subnet - it expects us to know the address
already and type it in. Dang, this is hard.

It seems SO straightforward, this config. Why on earth is this not
solved?

> Or perhaps it's a printer with an LCD screen that allows you to set IP
> parameters through the front panel.
>
> Mike Berger wrote:
>
> > You'll have to set up a computer on the same network first -- set
> > the computer's address to 192.168.2.51, for example, and you should
> > be able to telnet to the printer and change the address.
> >
> > one man army wrote:
> >
> >> I have a printer sitting here on a local net behind a Linksys->DSL.
> >> The Linksys assigns DHCP addresses starting at 192.168.1.100
> >> (configurable). The subnet mask for the links is ONLY allowed to be
> >> 255.255.255.x, where x is currently 0, but can be about 6 pre-picked
> >> numbers from a popup.
> >>
> >> The printer test page is showing an IP address of 192.168.2.52, with
> >> Appletalk active even. Am I surmising correctly that I can't see this
> >> printer no matter what I do? How do I configure this? I am confused.
> >> The Web JetAdmin program only runs on windows, I have Mac OS 10.3 or 9.
> >>
> >> They say I could even telnet to it, but the telnet and ping get no
> >> results.
> >>
> >> Please advise
September 21, 2005 7:57:35 AM

one man army wrote:

> Nope, not an LCD screen in sight. I don't really want to change the
> subnet to 192.168.2.x because there is another section of the warehouse
> that is already on the subnet and using it.
>
> This brings up the general question - if I have a JetDirect, and don't
> have the luxory of a config page, how to scan for the address? A net
> dude told me I look for a range of assigned MAC addresses for the
> vender, and do some kind of scan for MAC addresses. When I go to the
> only piece of sfwr I know if to do that, IPNetMonitorX, there is a
> beildering array of protocols for each of UDP and TCP shown to choose
> from, and nothing that I can see that says "scan for connected MAC
> addresses"
>
> There is apparently something like "HP IP Printing" defined in a
> number of apps, like our standard Printer Utility, but choosing does NOT
> perform a lookup in the local subnet - it expects us to know the address
> already and type it in. Dang, this is hard.
>
> It seems SO straightforward, this config. Why on earth is this not
> solved?

Go to HP's web site and get a copy of JetAdmin (or find the CD that came
with the printer and use the setup routines on that).

>>Or perhaps it's a printer with an LCD screen that allows you to set IP
>>parameters through the front panel.
>>
>>Mike Berger wrote:
>>

>>>You'll have to set up a computer on the same network first -- set
>>>the computer's address to 192.168.2.51, for example, and you should
>>>be able to telnet to the printer and change the address.

September 21, 2005 8:00:09 AM

CJT wrote:

> one man army wrote:
>
>> Nope, not an LCD screen in sight. I don't really want to change the
>> subnet to 192.168.2.x because there is another section of the
>> warehouse that is already on the subnet and using it.
>> This brings up the general question - if I have a JetDirect, and
>> don't have the luxory of a config page, how to scan for the address?
>> A net dude told me I look for a range of assigned MAC addresses for
>> the vender, and do some kind of scan for MAC addresses. When I go to
>> the only piece of sfwr I know if to do that, IPNetMonitorX, there is a
>> beildering array of protocols for each of UDP and TCP shown to choose
>> from, and nothing that I can see that says "scan for connected MAC
>> addresses"
>>
>> There is apparently something like "HP IP Printing" defined in a
>> number of apps, like our standard Printer Utility, but choosing does
>> NOT perform a lookup in the local subnet - it expects us to know the
>> address already and type it in. Dang, this is hard.
>>
>> It seems SO straightforward, this config. Why on earth is this not
>> solved?
>>

> Go to HP's web site and get a copy of JetAdmin (or find the CD that came
> with the printer and use the setup routines on that).

Sorry, I see from an earlier post that you're on a Mac. So get the MAC
version of HP's setup routines. And I also see that you KNOW the IP
address. So you can also temporarily set a machine to a compatible
subnet and change it to whatever you like.

>>> Or perhaps it's a printer with an LCD screen that allows you to set IP
>>> parameters through the front panel.

September 21, 2005 9:01:03 AM

No, and No. Sorry.

The latest version of JetAdmin seems to be for other machines besides
mine. Going to the printer and "setting it to anything I want" is a
problem.
I am interestd in a tool to have some ability to handle this problem
in general. Your quick fix answer ignores written details in the post,
and assumes I have not tried the basic approaches. I am not an IP
expert, but am not unable to use a computer, either.

In article <4330DACA.1010201@prodigy.net>, CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net>
wrote:

> CJT wrote:
>
> > one man army wrote:
> >
> >> Nope, not an LCD screen in sight. I don't really want to change the
> >> subnet to 192.168.2.x because there is another section of the
> >> warehouse that is already on the subnet and using it.
> >> This brings up the general question - if I have a JetDirect, and
> >> don't have the luxory of a config page, how to scan for the address?
> >> A net dude told me I look for a range of assigned MAC addresses for
> >> the vender, and do some kind of scan for MAC addresses. When I go to
> >> the only piece of sfwr I know if to do that, IPNetMonitorX, there is a
> >> beildering array of protocols for each of UDP and TCP shown to choose
> >> from, and nothing that I can see that says "scan for connected MAC
> >> addresses"
> >>
> >> There is apparently something like "HP IP Printing" defined in a
> >> number of apps, like our standard Printer Utility, but choosing does
> >> NOT perform a lookup in the local subnet - it expects us to know the
> >> address already and type it in. Dang, this is hard.
> >>
> >> It seems SO straightforward, this config. Why on earth is this not
> >> solved?
> >>

> > Go to HP's web site and get a copy of JetAdmin (or find the CD that came
> > with the printer and use the setup routines on that).
>
> Sorry, I see from an earlier post that you're on a Mac. So get the MAC
> version of HP's setup routines. And I also see that you KNOW the IP
> address. So you can also temporarily set a machine to a compatible
> subnet and change it to whatever you like.

September 21, 2005 9:09:11 AM

one man army wrote:

> No, and No. Sorry.
>
> The latest version of JetAdmin seems to be for other machines besides
> mine. Going to the printer and "setting it to anything I want" is a
> problem.

Temporarily take a computer and the errant printer off the network and
hook them together using a hub or switch and some cable. Change the
IP address of the computer to one that's compatible with (on the same
subnet as) the current address of the printer. Change the IP address
of the printer using either telnet or the printer's Web interface.
Change the IP address of the computer back to what it was. Hook it
and the printer back up to their regular position in the network. Be
happy.

Simple enough for you?

> I am interestd in a tool to have some ability to handle this problem
> in general. Your quick fix answer ignores written details in the post,
> and assumes I have not tried the basic approaches. I am not an IP
> expert, but am not unable to use a computer, either.
>

> In article <4330DACA.1010201@prodigy.net>, CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net>
> wrote:
>

>>CJT wrote:

>>>Go to HP's web site and get a copy of JetAdmin (or find the CD that came
>>>with the printer and use the setup routines on that).
>>
>>Sorry, I see from an earlier post that you're on a Mac. So get the MAC
>>version of HP's setup routines. And I also see that you KNOW the IP
>>address. So you can also temporarily set a machine to a compatible
>>subnet and change it to whatever you like.

September 21, 2005 9:17:50 AM

CJT wrote:

> one man army wrote:
>
>> No, and No. Sorry.
>>
>> The latest version of JetAdmin seems to be for other machines
>> besides mine. Going to the printer and "setting it to anything I want"
>> is a problem.
>

> Temporarily take a computer and the errant printer off the network and
> hook them together using a hub or switch and some cable. Change the
> IP address of the computer to one that's compatible with (on the same
> subnet as) the current address of the printer. Change the IP address
> of the printer using either telnet or the printer's Web interface.
> Change the IP address of the computer back to what it was. Hook it
> and the printer back up to their regular position in the network. Be
> happy.
>
> Simple enough for you?

BTW, you could also do this without the separate network stuff -- I put
that in there to make sure it would be safe no matter what else might
be connected to your network (e.g. in case you've got some other devices
on the 192.168.2.0 subnet that might be interfered with); you could also
just temporarily change the IP address of your Mac as-is.

>> I am interestd in a tool to have some ability to handle this problem
>> in general. Your quick fix answer ignores written details in the
>> post, and assumes I have not tried the basic approaches. I am not an
>> IP expert, but am not unable to use a computer, either.
>>

>> In article <4330DACA.1010201@prodigy.net>, CJT <abujlehc@prodigy.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Sorry, I see from an earlier post that you're on a Mac. So get the MAC
>>> version of HP's setup routines. And I also see that you KNOW the IP
>>> address. So you can also temporarily set a machine to a compatible
>>> subnet and change it to whatever you like.

September 21, 2005 9:56:38 PM

CJT, that's a pretty clear recipe to talk to a printer with a known IP
address, not in the current subnet range. Thank you, I appreciate that
clarity.

I am still looking for a way to search for printers with unknown
addresses.

also, someone just confirmed that LPR is "the same" as IP, so a printer
with LPR support will respond to IP inquiries.

The problem generally is that when setting up a printer in Mac OS 10.3,
there are 3 main protocols listed under "IP Printing", all requiring me
to type in my printer's <unknown or problematic> IP address.

IP Printing
LPD/LPR
Internet Printing Protocol
Socket/HP Jet Direct

> CJT wrote:
>
> > one man army wrote:
> >
> >> No, and No. Sorry.
> >>
> >> The latest version of JetAdmin seems to be for other machines
> >> besides mine. Going to the printer and "setting it to anything I want"
> >> is a problem.
> >

> > Temporarily take a computer and the errant printer off the network and
> > hook them together using a hub or switch and some cable. Change the
> > IP address of the computer to one that's compatible with (on the same
> > subnet as) the current address of the printer. Change the IP address
> > of the printer using either telnet or the printer's Web interface.
> > Change the IP address of the computer back to what it was. Hook it
> > and the printer back up to their regular position in the network. Be
> > happy.
> >
> > Simple enough for you?
>
> BTW, you could also do this without the separate network stuff -- I put
> that in there to make sure it would be safe no matter what else might
> be connected to your network (e.g. in case you've got some other devices
> on the 192.168.2.0 subnet that might be interfered with); you could also
> just temporarily change the IP address of your Mac as-is.
>

> >> I am interestd in a tool to have some ability to handle this problem
> >> in general. Your quick fix answer ignores written details in the
> >> post, and assumes I have not tried the basic approaches. I am not an
> >> IP expert, but am not unable to use a computer, either.

Anonymous
September 22, 2005 1:47:32 AM

lexmark had (still has?) a net printing utility that was pretty powerful
in terms of discovering devices. Macintosh compatible? don't know.
Believe it was called Markvision

one man army wrote:
> CJT, that's a pretty clear recipe to talk to a printer with a known IP
> address, not in the current subnet range. Thank you, I appreciate that
> clarity.
>
> I am still looking for a way to search for printers with unknown
> addresses.
>
> also, someone just confirmed that LPR is "the same" as IP, so a printer
> with LPR support will respond to IP inquiries.
>
> The problem generally is that when setting up a printer in Mac OS 10.3,
> there are 3 main protocols listed under "IP Printing", all requiring me
> to type in my printer's <unknown or problematic> IP address.
>
> IP Printing
> LPD/LPR
> Internet Printing Protocol
> Socket/HP Jet Direct
>

>>CJT wrote:

>>>Temporarily take a computer and the errant printer off the network and
>>>hook them together using a hub or switch and some cable. Change the
>>>IP address of the computer to one that's compatible with (on the same
>>>subnet as) the current address of the printer. Change the IP address
>>>of the printer using either telnet or the printer's Web interface.
>>>Change the IP address of the computer back to what it was. Hook it
>>>and the printer back up to their regular position in the network. Be
>>>happy.
>>>
>>>Simple enough for you?
>>
>>BTW, you could also do this without the separate network stuff -- I put
>>that in there to make sure it would be safe no matter what else might
>>be connected to your network (e.g. in case you've got some other devices
>>on the 192.168.2.0 subnet that might be interfered with); you could also
>>just temporarily change the IP address of your Mac as-is.

Anonymous
September 22, 2005 4:37:33 AM

In article <newsAT-57DFE9.15351420092005@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com>,
one man army <newsAT@screenlightDOT.com> wrote:

> The printer test page is showing an IP address of 192.168.2.52, with
> Appletalk active even. Am I surmising correctly that I can't see this
> printer no matter what I do? How do I configure this? I am confused. The
> Web JetAdmin program only runs on windows, I have Mac OS 10.3 or 9.

OMA-

Look at the HP web site for HP LaserJet Utility. It runs in OS 9 or
Classic mode using AppleTalk. It should see your printer if AppleTalk is
active, unless there is a router involved that does not pass AppleTalk. HP
LaserJet Utility may also be on a CD that came with the JetDirect.

I assume the 192.168.2.52 number was assigned automatically via DHCP, but
with the printer's mask set so it could see the other subnet. Would your
problem be solved if you could change it to an IP in your subnet? To do
that, you may need to temporarily assign your Mac an IP address on the
other subnet. If you do, you may be able to access the JetDirect
configuration page using your browser pointed at http://192.168.2.52.

Fred
September 22, 2005 10:50:01 AM

Fred McKenzie wrote:

> In article <newsAT-57DFE9.15351420092005@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com>,
> one man army <newsAT@screenlightDOT.com> wrote:
>

>> The printer test page is showing an IP address of 192.168.2.52, with
>>Appletalk active even. Am I surmising correctly that I can't see this
>>printer no matter what I do? How do I configure this? I am confused. The
>>Web JetAdmin program only runs on windows, I have Mac OS 10.3 or 9.
>

> OMA-
>
> Look at the HP web site for HP LaserJet Utility. It runs in OS 9 or
> Classic mode using AppleTalk. It should see your printer if AppleTalk is
> active, unless there is a router involved that does not pass AppleTalk. HP
> LaserJet Utility may also be on a CD that came with the JetDirect.
>
> I assume the 192.168.2.52 number was assigned automatically via DHCP,

If that's true, I think it should eventually expire and get reset to
something better. Perhaps the status page says whether it's static or
set via DHCP.