How to alphabetize folders in Windows Live Mail 2011?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adelana

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
[MS Windows 7 Home; Windows Live Mail 2011; Firefox]

Hello, I created quite a few folders in my Windows Live Mail 2011, at the left side column, and have tried many different ways to alphabetize them without success.
Additionally, when I open a new folder it doesn't get automatically alphabetized either.

Because I have quite a few of them it has become a problem to find them without spending a lot of time searching for them... :-(

Someone could help please? Thanks ever so much! :) Adela

Adelana

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
Thanks so much, sandrolee1231 but...i did, and didn't see "Sort by" in the drop down menu. Kindly tell me where I should do the right-click? I did it on the email address on top of all the folders. Then I also tried doing it on one of the folders. No results...

Any other suggestion please? Thank you again. :) Adela

jrwendt

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011

Did you find a solution to this? I have the same problem? tks jrw

Adelana

Distinguished
May 30, 2011

No...I'm sorry. I also went to the Microsoft forum but only at their Windows7 forum, and what they suggested didn't work. But they told me to go to the WLMail 2011 forum which I'll do as soon as I can. I'm getting tired and frustrated of trying and trying without results, so I take little vacations from it... :) Adela

Adelana

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
Not really, because I do shut off the machine at night and reopen it in the morning (this counts as a re-start).

Also, in the few times that it does move when I drag and drop it, it places itself not alphabetically, but as a sub-folder. This way, I get many arbitrary sub-folders totally UNALPHABETIZED! And thus multiplying my problem.

I wanted to eliminate totally those little triangles that cause the sub-folders but was told they cannot be eliminated.

No doubt this is one of thousands of MS glitches which only we, the consumers, pay with headaches! Adela

jrwendt

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Sorry you're having so many problems, but I went to the WLM forum like you said and they talked about restarting so after I added a folder under Storage, I shutdown WLM and then restarted it and presto, the added folder was in the proper alpha place. So I was able to fix my problem, thanks to your tip! Thank you. When you drag the folders, it won't let you place them between other folders like you can with Favorites on your Internet Explorer, so everytime you drag a folder, it will end up inside another folder. I agree, you can't have folders inside other folders, otherwise you can't see them easily. Sorry you're having so many problems. Not sure why stopping and restarting WLM works for me and not for you. Good luck, and thanks again for the tip!!!!!!!

Adelana

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
I'm glad you solved yours! the reason I dragged them to the proper alpha place (which would cause more subs) is because when I dragged them to the email name on top of my folders (which is the correct way)...it wouldn't do anything.

Also, as mentioned previously, the moved folders should anchor properly when I "re-start" by shutting it down at night and restarting it in the morning.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback.

MiratopiaTech

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
I know this thread's more than a couple of years old but I'm using the same application & had what I think to be the same problem.. and only now found the solution. Firstly, by "folders at the left column", I assume they're different email accounts (e.g. a gmail & a hotmail for personal use and a business one with your company perhaps). Well, if you right-click any of those account-folders you should see "Move up" & "Move down" in the popup list for you to use. Yes, you'd be moving each folder one at a time and yes, it'd be nice if they have Move to Top or Bottom options or ways to move groups of such folders, but, though it's tedious as it is, at least you can do it and you should only need to do this once per account folder, ever :).

Status
Not open for further replies.