core 2 duo overheating

gejiaxu

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
i just finished building a computer [for the first time] and turned everything on. no problems except for one (and a rather big one it would seem). all i've done is start it up and check out bios, which showed the cpu temp slowly climb from around 48 to 58 degrees over about 15 minutes. it seems to be hovering around 58 now.

from what i hear, that's quite high... could it be that i didn't attach the heat sink right? i used paste and i'm using the standard heat sink. the ambient temperature right now is rather low, probably around 23 degrees.

stranger yet is i actually turned the computer on for the first time last night, and the temp didn't even go above 50 during the 30-40 minutes i had the computer sitting in bios; this morning is when it started doing this.

any advice would be appreciated!

CPU: E6300
mobo: Asus P5B-E

gejiaxu

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Curious..

Did you install the HSF while the MB was outside the PC case or in the PC case?

Hows the airflow for the PC case?

definitely while it was outside. case has good airflow, lianli, 12 cm on front and back. actually, i haven't even closed the case and the ambient temp inside is low. even touching the blades of the stock heat sink it's not too hot.... still hovering around 58.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Did you check the bottom of the MB to be sure all 4 pins were properly seated through?

Seems as though from what I read about 775 sockets, they are a pain.

Just wonder if you might have 1 pin not secured.

gejiaxu

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
yep, i checked thoroughly before installing the board. all of them are connected through. i thought the socket was actually pretty easy to connect.

Blago

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
I have a P5B-E, E6400 and stock intel heatsink. Had the same problem the first time I booted up the system, running very hot. So I removed the heatsink, turned it 180 degrees and put it back on, booted up, temps were fine.

The heatsinks are somewhat of a bitch to put on, try different positions.

gejiaxu

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006

yes, thank you for the link. i tried a search first, but for some reason it wasn't working for me...

so i conclude that yes, it's way too hot. and since the problem obviously can't be any of the other possibilities, must be that the heatsink's got something wrong with it? odd, since i know it's attached correctly. so the thermal paste isn't working right? hm.

gejiaxu

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
a pain indeed... i took everything apart again and am about to reapply the thermal paste, but i should problably confirm something first:

the cpu surface is square, but the copper base of the heat sink is round. i haven't been, but are you supposed to apply paste to the entire cpu surface, even the parts that don't touch the heat sink???

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
As long as it encompasses the top of the square to where underneath core sits.

Core Pic

But it shouldn't hurt to put a thin layer over the whole top. Though I never saw the stock HSF for the C2D up close.

The air gaps that you want to fill are tiny, as this illstration shows:

core_demo1.jpg