What will be the next best printer for photo work
to replace my aging s820?

davy

The Canon ip5000 that I have is quite reliable and so is the ip4000,
these are all-round printers meaning they cater for text documents,
as you probably know they have two blacks, one being a photo 'dye
base' the other a larger black tank containing pigment ink for text.

Although they have 5 tanks they just have the three main colours and
the photo black, the next models up caters mainly for photowork which
has five or more colours including black.

Good reviews can be seen at Steves Digicams, Photo-i and Toms Hardware
Guide. along with comparisons to other printers.

I got the ip5000 as an all round printer, I will leave other people to
comment on the photo printers.

I understand the latest models uses a chipped cartridges, you will
have to check this to be sure.

Davy

zakezuke

> The pinkish tint has shown up on my s820 just recently,
> also some banding, hence the reason for looking at a new
> model. It still functions well as a run of the mill printer.
> Will take a gander at the ones you mention.

Yes the s820 was pretty spiffy. Things have improved slightly since
then.

If you have your heart set on a 6 tank printer

i960 - Technicaly an older model so no fancy features like duplexing
nor dual trays. Nice switch at the top to swap between letter and 4x6
on the fly. This model is harder to find.
ip6000d - half the nozzles of the older i960 at the same resolution.
Has a spiffy screen that might not be useful for photoshop users. CD
printing not officaly supported in america but there is a workround.
ip6600d - new and no one has seen it work yet, no one I know of anyway.
Newer formula inks that claim longer life... 30 years under glass on
canon glossy plus rather than bci-6 which I believe was 25 years.
twice the resolution of the two older models, but if i'm not mistaken
you are limited to 5pl drops and 1pl drops, no option for 2pl drops.

or since you kept your printer for so long, you might consider a new 8
color printer

ip8500 - the dual trays, the duplexing which I would argue isn't all
that spiffy for photo printers. extra red and green inks IIRC but not
as high resolution as either the ip4200, ip5000, ip5200, ip6600.

I agree with you. I've got a couple of s820's and also iP4000 and iP3000
models, but not an iP5000 (yet). The s820 was a pretty good printer, but the
newer PIXMA models, even the iP3000, are better in my opinion. The lack of
PC & PM ink on the two PIXMA printers I have don't seem to be a problem. In
fact, the print quality is better - none of the pinkish tint that the s820
has.
--
Ron

"Davy" <davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> The Canon ip5000 that I have is quite reliable and so is the ip4000,
> these are all-round printers meaning they cater for text documents,
> as you probably know they have two blacks, one being a photo 'dye
> base' the other a larger black tank containing pigment ink for text.
>
> Although they have 5 tanks they just have the three main colours and
> the photo black, the next models up caters mainly for photowork which
> has five or more colours including black.
>
> Good reviews can be seen at Steves Digicams, Photo-i and Toms Hardware
> Guide. along with comparisons to other printers.
>
> I got the ip5000 as an all round printer, I will leave other people to
> comment on the photo printers.
>
> I understand the latest models uses a chipped cartridges, you will
> have to check this to be sure.
>
> Davy