"Remove disks or other media"

KirkR

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
I'm trying to install windows 7 ultimate 64 bit onto my computer (windows 7 home premium 32-bit currently installed).

I'm trying to install via usb stick, but it just isn't working, this is what I did.

1. open command prompt
-DISKPART
-LIST DISK
-SELECT DISK 2 (my flash drive)
-CLEAN
-CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
-SELECT PARTITION 1
-ACTIVE
-FORMAT FS=FAT32 (I also tried ntfs earlier)
-ASSIGN
-EXIT

Then I opened the windows 7 ulti x64 .iso, copied all the files, and put them on my flash drive. There was enough space for everything.

I then restarted my computer, set BIOS to boot from USB-HDD (I also tried USB-CDROM later), and rebooted.

Right after "verifying DMI Pool Data..." It read:

"Remove disks or other media
Press any key to restart"

I tried just about everything I could think of (which is just changing the BIOS settings, like I stated above)

I could REALLY use some help with this D:

KirkR

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Update: I just put the flash drive into my old windows xp machine (also 32 bit) and set the boot to USB-HDD and it started to load the windows files, as it would when installing windows 7, which is what I'm trying to do.

So there's that, if it helps at all.

KirkR

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Update: I suppose I should mention that my windows 7 home premium (32 bit) doesn't boot unless I have another OS running alongside it so that I can get to a boot menu, which brings me to this.

I tried installing ubuntu onto my computer using the same flash drive (after reformatting, of course) and my computer simply read

"Boot Error"

I've installed ubuntu before, and gotten my computer to boot, because usually it would just be stuck at "Verifying DMI pool data...". That was a while ago, and I installed ubuntu, and then it would go to a menu that would allow me to choose between ubuntu and windows, and I'd choose windows. So I tried to do that just now, and it didn't work: "boot error"

I'm really clueless now