Another Cheap C2D Setup $600 budget OC Machine

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
So this is a repeat thread of many others... Eh I know... But please respond if you have any input or comments.

So I just got a credit card with a $500 limit... COOL!!! Its time to max it out and ruin my credit for life!! Might as well do it now lol :wink:

So I am realy fed up with my slow arse PC 2.4B and 6800nu with 1gb of slowpoke ram. I want some of the new stuff! From the other threads I have come up with this so far!

I will use some of my old grear like my

Case: Cheiftek Dragon Full Tower... Has served me well before and still shal!

PSU: Aspire 500W

Also works well, Its no FSP or Antech though but it will hold out I assume. Only concern I could think of is not haveing a 24pin adapter, but the standard 20pin will work fine AFAIK.

I will also use my current optical drives and harddrives. Limited to two devices on mobo.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 $115

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813128017

Now, I dont know what the difference is between this and the DS3 version. What makes the DS3 version worth the extra $40? I plan on hitting that common 2.8ghz mark that seems very promiseing. Is that possible with this board? I dont much care about SLI/Xfire so im cool with a single slot x16.

CPU: C2D E6300 $180 Duhh...

Ram: Im looking at Corsair DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) CAS5 2x512

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820145566

That should get me that happy 2.8ghz? Its only $140, so I think its a good deal? Any other suggestions?

GPU: X1900XT 256mb @$240

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814102051

What else can match it? I have a 22" Trinitron and I love how 1600x1200 looks! Gots to have a card that can run that! I wont need to use any AA. I dont mind some jaggies. This is so expensive, It puts me over the top on my budget by a fair margin, but if I can get an extra $100 (Birthday sopn) then its mine!

Total shipped $694 + a maxed out credit card!

Any ideas suggestions or slaps on the wrist?

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
The ABIT AB9 is a much better overclocking board.
I would say to get two gigs of the CHEAPEST DDR 800 with 4-4-4-12 timings because they will perform the same as Corsair due to that their using the same Micron chips.
Get the 7600GT right now, you will have the money to upgrade the RAM and mobo and you wont be trowing much money away when youll upgrade to DX10.
The E6300 is great, youll want to get an anftermarket HSF later on to overclock it like you should.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
The ABIT AB9 is a much better overclocking board.
I would say to get two gigs of the CHEAPEST DDR 800 with 4-4-4-12 timings because they will perform the same as Corsair due to that their using the same Micron chips.
Get the 7600GT right now, you will have the money to upgrade the RAM and mobo and you wont be trowing much money away when youll upgrade to DX10.
The E6300 is great, youll want to get an anftermarket HSF later on to overclock it like you should.

That sounds like a good plan, the more you save, the less you have to save for the future items you'll want.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
That does sound like a good plan! I'm sure I can live with a 7600gt :eek:

Ohh yeah... I have never ben one to use a stock cooler on anything. I will look for a review on that board, but I will ask anyhow: How much better of an overclocker is it?

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Go to the overcloking CPU forums and check out wusys (over 30k posts) stickie "C2D overclocking guide". It is one of the few recommended motherboards. There is a wide list of aftermarket HSF also for you to check out.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Go to the overcloking CPU forums and check out wusys (over 30k posts) stickie "C2D overclocking guide". It is one of the few recommended motherboards. There is a wide list of aftermarket HSF also for you to check out.

Yeah, I checked it out... That lil sheep focker 8)

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Gskill is a good brand thats quickly winning over several fans.

This is a better deal for the 7600GT and its the same speeds as the one you picked. The other "overclocked" versions arent anything you cant tweak yourself.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006

Yeah, I checked it out... That lil sheep focker 8)

HAHA yeah, I trust wusy mainly cos hes got "connections" so he wont simply say something becase he felt like it or looked like it.
That guide has been almost (if not all) entirely proven on real world setups.
But well never hurts to look for more reviews if theres something that requires some attention.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Wouldnt that take like 2.5 volts to do? That kind of scares me! :?

Oy... Where talking $120 more for another gig. I know 2gb is the new norm and games like BF2 and MMORPG's and RTS games gobble ram like crazy, but I just play my simple lilttle ole FPS games that don't stress 1gb to much. So from my point of view, 2gb is hard to justify when on a strict budget.

Thursday is probably when I'm going to order the parts. Thats two days after my Bay and if I pic up some extra cast, I will go for the 2gb. Then after that I'm looking to-wards that x1900xt. It may be hard to afford a new dx10 card while not working.

I can always purchase new ram down the road, I just want this system now or else I wont be able to drop that kind of cash before I start school and not have some problems. Its either now or never.

So I will try Wusy! Just for you! 8)

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
OK, Im getting close to ordering my new stuff! TWO DAYS!! WEE!!!!

Anyways... Jut to be sure, I didnt find any reviews with the Abit AB9 board and overclocking. With highend air cooling I should get ~3.0 - 3.2 right with that board? That should put me over the top of the X6800 in most games.

Another thing, ram compatability has ben eating at me for a bit now. Are we sure that the Gskill ram will work fine in my board?!?

Wusy, dont hate me, but I decided to go with the x1900xt over the extra 1gb of ram. I just love how 1600x1200 looks on all the games and wish to keep it there with no problems. I dont need AA or AF and even the 7600gts couldnt give me that exta that I want/need.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
How much performance would I lose if I dont run dualchannel? 5%? The overclocking should make up for that no? I can do the 1x1gb for now. This may be a silly question, but will I still get the same overclock useing only 1 ram moduel?

Gigabyte DS3 is the mobo of choise...

The 7600gts without AA and AF on is still loads slower than the x1900xt according to Toms VGA charts. 1900xt is over twice as fast in just about every game. I dont need AA of AF at 1600x1200. My monitor still looks good even at 1800x1440. I will run HDR and maybe some AA if I still have penty of overhead.

I can budget for the x1900xt now, but I cant see myself getting a 3-400$ card later on. I do though see getting another ram moduel, especially if prices drop a bit from this crazy high. Just another $3-400 is hard to justify. I do think the x1900xt will hold out at least untill the new cards will get about the same price/performance ratio. Maybe skip the first generation of dx10?

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Okay! This is realy itching me in the wrong spot... One of my best friends has the DS3 with a E6400 and OCZ Platnium DDR2 800 4-5-4-15 OCZSP800GK

He told me that he has tryed everything and he cant change his Ram timeings... He told me that the options arnt even there...

I did a google search and ive read and read and I dont see anyone else reporting this! ARG! Any ideas?!?