newb question on thermal paste application

gejiaxu

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
i'm about to reapply thermal paste to my e6300, but i should problably confirm something first:

the cpu surface is square, but the copper base of the heat sink is round. i didn't before, but are you supposed to apply paste to the entire cpu surface, even the coerner areas that don't touch the heat sink???

gejiaxu

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
thanks for the reply. i did that before and paste spread evenly, but i can't see what else the problem would be since my cpu is overheating really bad on startup and there shouldn't be anything else wrong.... hm

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
All you can do is put a small amount of paste in the middle of the CPU, and the just place the heatsink, it'll take care of the paste.

I read that you place a rice-size drop on the CPU and spread it with a credit card, but now you say when you place the HS in it will spread it around...so which is it?? :)

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Someone needs to make a sticky that only contains the link to Arctic Silver directions website.

Why? Are they really that lazy to go to www.articsilver.com themselves?

If they are, then they shouldn't build their own system. Hell, it's not the hardest component to install, with exception to Intel's 775 HSF lately.