Your question

Shiny new c2D build

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 27, 2006 4:18:18 AM

So, i did my first build, and it did not go especially well, I thought the turn marking on the heatsink (freezer 7 pro) was to lock, not release, so i think i screwed up the thermal paste, and now, the cpu fan turns off after the first bios screen. Also, when i try to boot with an ubuntu boot disk, it goes "uncompressing linux...ok booting the kernel" then it gets to mounting root partition and goes back to the previous screen and stays there, could this be an HD problem, do i need to format it first? (seagate 7200.10 320GB)

other than that i assume(hope) it is working, and i am going to install windows later

More about : shiny c2d build

September 27, 2006 3:31:19 PM

format it, just to be safe, that is if there's nothing on there. 8)
September 28, 2006 3:05:00 AM

Ok, its all set up, and i have overclocked it to 2.66 Ghz at 50c dual prime
before i go any farther, what are safe temps for this proc?
Related resources
September 28, 2006 3:13:31 AM

The thermal specs from Intel state the chip can handle up to 61.4C.... 50C seems a little high for 2.6..... did you use AS 5? or the stock thermal paste....
September 28, 2006 3:55:49 PM

also what program are you measuring the temps with? there seems to be a few problems with some temperature reading apps when using core 2 duo. (correct me if i'm wrong).
September 28, 2006 11:54:49 PM

That's not just with Core 2 chips. There is a variable margin of error between different applications for almost any processor.
September 29, 2006 10:32:40 PM

but there have been a particular ammount of problems with core 2 duo temp reading apps, i believe this is due to the ammount of digital thermometers on the chip (4 if im correct) compared to other dual cores. i hink im right someone correct me... :?
!