Core Duo T5500 vs T7200 for gaming

zore86

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
Hi there, I know this topic has been discussed a few times already but not really from the perspective of gaming. I am buying a laptop from Dell that is mainly going to be used for gaming (if you can call World of Warcraft gaming). Currently, what I have is

256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory™
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ, 2 DIMM

and since I am in fact a poor college student, I am pondering whether I should add the,

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T7200 (4MB Cache/2.00GHz/667MHz FSB)

or the

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T5500 (2MB Cache/1.66GHz/667MHz FSB)

Now, I know that if I was doing video rendering and all this stuff I'd definately go for the T7200... but there's a $100 difference and I am mainly playing World of Warcraft and really, what I am concerned about it the FPS... Will the 4MB Cache and the extra processing speed practically do all that much of a difference? I really need some help on this one because I've failed to locate any good benchmarks comparing the two models... so if either of you know from the top of your heads or know of any benchmarks... please help! I really need some opinions on this one :)

Thank you
/Zore

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Games are typically GPU limited not CPU limited right now, especially on laptops.

You'd be better off looking for a laptop with a better GPU, such as a 7600 GO or X1600, not a faster CPU.

Also hypermemory is useless as its just a fancy way of saying the graphics card can steal the much slower system main RAM.