Sign in with
Your question

P5W DH - New BIOS - do they allow CPU multiplier changes?

Last response: in Motherboards
September 27, 2006 6:30:15 AM

I know the new P5B/P5B Deluxe BIOS allow users to change the CPU multipliers of C2Ds, but does anyone know if any of the recent BIOS updates for the P5W DH Deluxe allow you too?
September 27, 2006 11:16:21 AM

awesome, do any of the official release versions have that capability?
Related resources
September 27, 2006 11:29:56 AM

Not yet - but 1405 (or 14xx) will become official sometime soon
September 27, 2006 12:18:50 PM

I forgot which review site (I want to say Anandtech) did an OC with different multipliers on a P5B, and it seemed the standard multiplier always had the best OC performance. I guess if you want to play with the multiplier more power to you, but I don't see a point really.
September 27, 2006 12:24:25 PM

the biggest thing with the mult, at least that i know of, is that you can now run higher FSB speeds without going to crazy on your overall OC (handy for getting a 1:1 fsb/mem ratio) For example, I was running my 800MHz memory at 333 w/ a 9x because I didn’t want to go to 400 and have my cpu running at 3.6. However, now I can run it all 1:1 at 400Mhz because my mult is 8x and total cpu is 3.2 which is not an extremely aggressive OC.... don't forget what wusy's guide, 1:1 is best.
September 29, 2006 2:46:26 PM

so for someone like me, i don't even need to bother with this...my memory is 667mhz ECC kingston valueram

So i could just do 333 x 9x and get 3ghz and be okay right?

I don't feel like changing the stock fan either, am i stupid for trying this before i actually change the fan to something better...i mean its not that hard to get into bios take a look at the temperature and if is too high just change it back to normal settings right?

and when i read that guide...it talked a lot about my memory timings..but i have no idea what the timings are on my ram, i couldn't find it ANYWHERE.

i have the ram right in front of me can someone tell me how i can figure out the timings?/

Its kingston valueram ECC 1GB (two sticks) 667mhz
!