CPU cooling... rcx-z3!??

djembeplay

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Hey guys. I am planning to overclock my e6400 and I have ordered a rosewill rcx-z3 cooler off of newegg. It had excellent reviews (100%) there. Buuuuutttt now as it is nearing to the assembly hour I am becoming slightly leary... what do you guys think of this one?

I am probobly going to overclock no higher than 3.2ghz. Thanks-

T

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
First of all don't go rely on them review in Newegg. It's kind of akward that everyone has very huge knowledge of everything as they would put 5 for knowledge of the product. First mistake. You want review then go to a more reliable sources like Frostech for cooling, they specialized in reviewing cpu cooling products. Second of all I never heard of this cooler, getting a Ninja or Big Typhoon would get you better results. Don't trust them guys lying thier ass off by saying they have 20c idle with a 950! Man that guy must have live inside a freezer. Sure you can cool down your E6400 with the RCX-Z3 but it won't be as good, so it can limit your overclocking as well.

Threshold

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
I see people buying Rosewill power supplies, Rosewill RAM, Rosewill HS/Fs...and I want to take a hammer and bash their head in. For normally $10 more per component, if that, you can get a reliable, trusted brand name. I don't know that Rosewill products are unreliable as such, but, well, they're inconsistent. Your mileage will vary a whole lot more than with anything else.

As far as heatsinks go, Zalman is good, Thermaltake is good, Thermalright is up there as well, though honestly I'd never heard of them til earlier this year, and Scythe is...pretty much at the top right now. Except, as some others have said, if you go Scythe, don't get the Infinity (assuming it's compatible, can't remember) as it is extremely heavy-for being a HSF.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
The Scythe Infinity is very huge and that could be it's downfall as it won't be compatible in tight spaced motherboards. The Thermalright Ultra-120 is the newest and one of the best low-noise cpu cooler.

djembeplay

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Hahaha ok ok well lets ... uhh.. hold off on the hammer bashing for a bit.

Ok so ill buy another cooler. Im on frosty tech... what do you guys think hyper6+ or zalman 9500? Tnx-

T

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Yeah, that Zalman 9500 is overated and many people buy it for the looks. It looks nice like a flower, though I don't buy it. Right now if you choose the Schythe Ninja, Thermaltake Big Typhoon or Thermalright Ultra-120 either ones you can't go wrong. This three could easily smoke out the pretty looking 9500. If I were to choose I would go for the Ultra-120. :)

djembeplay

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
alright, its extremely late... i need sleep. THanks for the info. Looks like im going with the thermaltake big Typhoon. Good choice you think? goodnight-

Jagge

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
I just bought the Scythe Infinity recently and that....that...thing was huge. Biggest heatsink I've ever seen - and I thought the Zalman 9500 was big.

Seriously, I just couldn't stop laughing for about 20 minutes after I pulled it from the box. Though I'm quite impressed about the temperatures it gives as Easytune says 25C idle or low use, 35C load... And right now 22C. Not sure I can rely on that though, sounds a bit low...

Oh, and more on the size. I have the Nexus Breeze case and at first I didn't think it would fit in there but after I took the metal bar (which has those little things attached to its rail that help keep the PCI cards in place) off, it fit decently. Though now it touches a little the case wall with the sound dampening foam, and I have a little fear at the back of my head that some day it'll catch on fire... And then I'll have a small hurry...

Threshold

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Let me know how many days it takes to break your motherboard.

In all seriousness, that thing is like twice as heavy as the Ninja, for God's sake. Well, maybe not 2x exactly, but you get the point.

I'm all for a bigger heatsink-but weight is one of my primary concerns, personally.

djembeplay

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Ok sooo I bought a thermaltake big typhoon based on the previous recommendation. I couldnt find the weight anywhere so I figured it would be good. But ablight! It is going to tear my MOBO in half! Im just going to refuse that package from newegg. I ended up with a Scythe NINJA PLUS Rev.B. Wow- alot to know... thanks for the info guys. Ha... I just want to get this workstation together so I can edit...
Be well-

T

Jagge

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
Aye. It's kinda heavy 960g but compared to Ninja Plus, it's "only" 150g heavier.

And in comparison Zalman 9500At 530g, Zalman 7700AlCu 600g, Tuniq Tower 800g w/o fan, and the acclaimed Thermaltake Big Typhoon 813g.

So, actually, though heaviest of them all, not so much heavier if compared to cooling capabilities. With proper installation of the motherboard there should not be any problems for years to come - silicon isn't that fragile. Trust me. :)

djembeplay

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Well... I build system every 3-4 years so they will last me without worry. I run a small video editing studio so I am looking forward to quicker rendering times. It always takes me a TON of work in research because I dont pay attention to the market at all except for when I am building a new system (especially because its been about 4-5 years this time). Alot has changed... Heres what I ended up with this time around:

E6400 (planning to OC to 2800 - 3200)
scythe ninja+b 1100 (w/AS5)
gigabyte dq6 (liked the cooling, firewire, solid state capacitors and sound)
gigabyte 7600gt w/passive cooling
2gb corsair ddr2 800 5-5-5-12 ram
1 WD sata 250 gig (probobly put 1-2 more in with a raid-0 in the future)
enermax 480w noisetaker II (latest ax-vew sfma model)
thermaltake 'Matrix' steel case
DVD-RW (duh, right?)

So what do you guys think? Should get me quite the boost for video editing eh? heh. Although fuzzy on the exact parts, I was working on something like this (processor went about a week or two ago, thus the new computer):

Asus a7v333
athlon 2100+
768 pc...333 I guess
ide 120 gig
Geforce 4600Ti+ (I used to game alot... oh the early counter strike betas)

I was much more aware all around this time. Last time I had no reguard for power supply quality nor RAM quality I dont think... heh. Alot of my focus probobly on the vastly expensive (at the time) video card.

Anyways- thanks for all the info guys- youve been a big help in getting me up to speed and choosing quality components that will hopefully last through the next 3 or 4 year computer life stretch. Now... once I get the parts and build it I need a lamens guide to overclocking as I have never done that before either. Thanks again-

T