XP Home and Dual Core - supported vs takes-advantage-of?

maven12

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
Hi

This is the only forum I trust to get a decent answer.

I understand that Win XP Home will 'support' a dual-core processor. But what I really want to know is whether Win XP Home will make use of the both processors i.e. allocate threads to both processors?

Support, to me, means it will work and not die. What is more useful though, is whether it actually takes advantage of the second core.

Many thanks
Maven12

Ford_Prefect

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003
XP Home is perfectly capable of assigning tasks to each core - DVD Shrink (which is multi-processor capable) is split evenly between both cores and takes about 6 minutes to compress a complete DVD.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Hi

I understand that Win XP Home will 'support' a dual-core processor. But what I really want to know is whether Win XP Home will make use of the both processors i.e. allocate threads to both processors?

Support, to me, means it will work and not die. What is more useful though, is whether it actually takes advantage of the second core.

Many thanks
Maven12
Yes, it does. Here's an article about the upcoming quad-cores, and XP Home supports and takes full advantage of them, also.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=301

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hi

Many thanks
Maven12

Hey Maven,
As Ford said, XP Home DOES IN FACT use both cores. Now one thing you di dnot mention was whether you had AMD or Intel, If you have AMD I can give you an AWSOME link to this forum thread to a page where he explains how to install 'THE AUTHENTIC AMD DRIVERS, the Microsoft Dual-core hot-fix, AND the AMD DUAL CORE OPTIMIZER". Now I know your probably asking "why should I install these drivers if Microsoft does it already"?...............well..........let's face it.....Sometimes NOTHING beats the Manufacturer's OWN drivers right bra :wink:

I used this guys instructions and my dualie performs like a Champ, it has been said to make performance a lil snappier, and it was right... :D

Anyway, lemme know if you have AMD, and if you want, I will post you the link to it...It's ACTUALLY a sticky on the forum I found it on it's sooo good :)

Cheers

Antec P180 Performance Case
SeaSonic S12 600w PSU
Asus A8N32 SLI S-939 (bios 1103 V02.58 )
RealTek 97 Onboard
ATHLON 64 X2 4800+ Toledo Core (AMD v 1.3.1.0/MS hotfix/ Dual Opt)
2 G's of Corsair 3500LL Pro @ 400Mhz 2-3-2-6-1T
2- BFG 7900 GT OC in SLI (NV 91.31)
WD RAPTOR 74.3 G's / XP Home / SP2 & Apps
Maxtor SATA II 250 G's /Gaming / Movies / MP3's
Maxtor SATA II 250 G's /backup (unplugged)
Sony CDrom 52X
Plextor 708-A DVD/CD rom
Razer DiamondBack Optical mouse
Logitech Z-5500 Dolby Digital 5.1 THX 500w

maven12

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
Hi All

I knew I'd get the right info here!

Thanks very much guys.

paybax, my query was mainly for an Intel dual core processor, but it's useful to know about AMD as well - and that additional drivers exist.

Thanks again :D
Cheers
Maven12

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
???? .............I'm sorry mp I don't get it.... :?
All I said was that I was accepting his gratitude for helping him, then I offered to send him a link, and signed out ......... ???? :?

stran5702

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
hey paybax,

I think im having dual core problems
I have a dell 9150
pentium d 2.8ghz
2 gig of ram

everything laggs and cpu usuage goes up to 70%-100%. I will lag when nothing is running.
What about this hot fix thing? pleaze help!!

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Paybax's "fix" is only for AMD processors, you have an intel 2.8 chip.

Yours sounds more like ad/spyware.

Make sure virus protection is up to date, and I do not mean Norton or Macafee.

Go to majorgeeks.com, and download AVG antivirus, ad aware, and spybot search and destroy. All are free, and work better than the pay stuff, as well as use very little of your system resources.

After you run all those, updating and thouroughly scanning everything, go back to majorgeeks, and get lexun regscrub xp. It will clean up and straighten out your registry, to get you back in sync.

I run the AVG all the time and run the others once a week.

SciPunk

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Paybax, please be so kind as to post that link. I'm very interested in that info.

maven12, the big question was in regard to the fact that Home Edition does not support (i.e will not run) on a dual processor system. Dual processor systems were deemed by the almighty Microsoft Kings as being servers, and thus they crippled their home edition version so it would not work. So when the dual cores came out, we weren't sure if that fell under the same category as dual processors. So Micorsoft deemed dual core as being Home Worthy, and so Home Edition was not crippled in that regard. It should work exactly the same as pro.

BTW: they also deemed 64 bit as Non-Home Worthy. If you run 64 bit software, you are (by Microsoft's definition) not a Home User, but you are a professional.

Ever get the feeling that you are being kicked around like a soccer ball?

stran5702

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
i have ran AVG antivirus, ad aware, and spybot search and destroy, yahoo spyware , plus mcafee, and microsoft defender. call micrsoft and they gave me hotfix. so gonna see if that works.

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Paybax, please be so kind as to post that link. I'm very interested in that info.

maven12, the big question was in regard to the fact that Home Edition does not support (i.e will not run) on a dual processor system. Dual processor systems were deemed by the almighty Microsoft Kings as being servers, and thus they crippled their home edition version so it would not work. So when the dual cores came out, we weren't sure if that fell under the same category as dual processors. So Micorsoft deemed dual core as being Home Worthy, and so Home Edition was not crippled in that regard. It should work exactly the same as pro.

BTW: they also deemed 64 bit as Non-Home Worthy. If you run 64 bit software, you are (by Microsoft's definition) not a Home User, but you are a professional.

Ever get the feeling that you are being kicked around like a soccer ball?

Hey Sci,
Here's the link. I think you will find it very helpful. Like I said earlier, I used it and it REALLY worked for my rig. :D

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81429

Antec P180 Performance Case
SeaSonic S12 600w PSU
Asus A8N32 SLI S-939 (bios 1103 V02.58 )
RealTek 97 Onboard
ATHLON 64 X2 4800+ Toledo Core (AMD v 1.3.1.0/MS hotfix/ Dual Opt)
2 G's of Corsair 3500LL Pro @ 400Mhz 2-3-2-6-1T
2- BFG 7900 GT OC in SLI (NV 91.31)
WD RAPTOR 74.3 G's / XP Home / SP2 & Apps
Maxtor SATA II 250 G's /Gaming / Movies / MP3's
Maxtor SATA II 250 G's /backup (unplugged)
Sony CDrom 52X
Plextor 708-A DVD/CD rom
Razer DiamondBack Optical mouse
Logitech Z-5500 Dolby Digital 5.1 THX 500w

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Yes, it does. Here's an article about the upcoming quad-cores, and XP Home supports and takes full advantage of them, also.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=301[/quote]

Well XP better support multi cores. At the rate they've been pushing Vista back and cutting features, its going to be little more the Windows XP Home-the 2007 edition by the time its released.