Asus P5ND2-SLI 8-Pin 12vATX - Do i need a new PSU?!

P-Trix

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
I'm running a P5ND2-SLI, my PSU only has one 4-pin 12vATX connector! Do i need to buy a new PSU with two 4-pin 12vATX connectors to be able to use the motherboard to its full potential!?

I have been having problems overclocking my Pentium D 805, which i have drawn down to being PSU related, so i am looking to buy a new PSU anyway!

P-Trix

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
Well the computer boots, so i don't acctually need the converter... i may aswell get a PSU that has 2 actual 4pin 12v connectors! It seems this is only used for Dual Core CPU's, although my Pentium D 805 is Dual Core ( it still boots and works fine )!

P-Trix

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
Too many problems can result from it.

For example, like why i cant seem to overclock any higher than 3.4GHz... even though i'm using a watercooling system and the temps idle at 3.3GHz are less than 40oC!

I think it all boils down to the lack of ampage on the +12v rail, which is why i bought a OCZ GamerXstream 600w Silent! Will be here Monday so i will install and try overclock some more, wish me luck :)

P-Trix

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
A PSU only limits your OC ability if when you OC you start useing more power then the PSU can supply.
Cheap or slow RAM will limit your OC. If your chipset isn't in the watercooled loop then they too could be limiting your performance.

I only have the CPU in the water loop, the memory i have been using has been cheap unbranded stuff! So i have bought some Corsair XMS2 667MHz memory, which is the fastest my motherboard supports! I'm hopping i should be able to get a higher clock speed when it's built with the new PSU and memory... as i've read so many reports of people clocking higher than 3.6GHz with the 805! And there of course, is tom's guide, which reports 4.1GHz!

P-Trix

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
Your motherboard supports 667 but for a good OC you want your RAM faster then that. You get the faster RAM to help insure your OC stay stable.
For example:
If you use the 800 in there it's going to run at 667. So as you start to OC your not over stressing the RAM your just getting it back up to it's stock speeds.

Ahhh i understand! Well that could be arranged, as i have a few rigs and can use the 667MHz memory that is coming in another rig and order some 800MHz memory ( i did think of this, but was not sure wether my motherboard would support it)!

So would you also recommend adding a chipset waterblock into my loop, i have seen an XSPC Chipset for only £20! I'm thinking of getting rid of the Koolance Exos-Al and going for an internal solution, made up of mostly XSPC watercooling components!

Thanks again for your help and advice!

P-Trix

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
I think it can, i was reading through the manual of the exos and it states multiple waterblocks in the loop!

I think i will be upgrading it all soon though, and maybe run a dual pump and dual radiator watercooling system!(Perhaps a bit overkill!? But i have possiblilty of future upgrade to SLI waterblocks etc)