gigabyte -965-dq6 and ram?

xxdejavuxx

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
ive built up my rig with
gigaabyte 965-dq6 motherboard and corsair value select pc-4200 533 mhz ram....

it powers on and off repeatedly... and doesnt boot....
its not the power supply as its been tested...

i have 2x 1 gb corsair pc-4300 ram and these are the tests that have been made
2 yellow slots (dual channel)... = powers on and off
2 red alots (dual channel)...= powers on and off
1 red and one yellow..(single channel)= boots fine
1 yellow and one red...(single channel)= boots fine

the guys at the computer store said it could be the motherboards problem... but i gotta send it in for 3 weeks....

the dilemma is... i dont wanna send it in for 3 weeks, just to find out its a motherboard and ram compatibility problem....

what do you guys think?

amarko5

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I had lots of issues getting mine to boot correctly, my issues seemed similar to yours but slightly worse.

using corsair 6400 xms ram. i found i could only get it to boot (intermittently) with one stick in either 3rd or 4th slot.

i messed about for ages with different ram and graphics etc etc eventually i decided enough was enough and took my whole machine to the place i bought all the components from.

first port of call was to swap out the motherboard "bingo" there we have it the mobo was faulty. all the other components were the same. you can read the thread dq6 bad batch ? there is more info in there.

however what i will add is there are still issues for me with the f5 bios re raid array and the f4 or f5a bios have been the most reliable so far.

wish you luck because wen it runs it runs fine (it's just a very fussy board ) it would seem.

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
ive built up my rig with
gigaabyte 965-dq6 motherboard and corsair value select pc-4200 533 mhz ram....

it powers on and off repeatedly... and doesnt boot....
its not the power supply as its been tested...

i have 2x 1 gb corsair pc-4300 ram and these are the tests that have been made
2 yellow slots (dual channel)... = powers on and off
2 red alots (dual channel)...= powers on and off
1 red and one yellow..(single channel)= boots fine
1 yellow and one red...(single channel)= boots fine

the guys at the computer store said it could be the motherboards problem... but i gotta send it in for 3 weeks....

the dilemma is... i dont wanna send it in for 3 weeks, just to find out its a motherboard and ram compatibility problem....

what do you guys think?

Common probllem.

If you can get it to boot with one stick, get into thh BIOS set Vdimm to +0.3v and it will probably work after that. Also, if you still have the F2 BIOS, you should go to at least F4

xxdejavuxx

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
I just want to make sure cause 3 weeks is a long time to wait! and plus, if it turns out to be memory compatibility problems i'd be so angry. LOL

ill try setting the Vdimm to +0.3 and see if it works. Thanks for the help guys.

xxdejavuxx

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
i found the problem... before i installed the mobo.. i installed this rectangular I/O plate. it sits coincedently right under where the ram should be.. i took it out... and now works in dual channel.. and slots 1 and 2 are working again.