Sign in with
Your question

Open Box Motherboard from New Egg?

Last response: in Motherboards
September 27, 2006 12:25:26 PM

Anyone ever purchased an Open Box motherboard from New Egg? Was it a good experience?
a c 435 V Motherboard
September 27, 2006 12:43:45 PM

I've purchased about 12 refurbs from newegg, and all worked. One died after 4 days, and newegg gave me a refund as they had none left when I sent it back. Nearly all boards had no accessories, but most had the driver cd.
September 27, 2006 1:08:51 PM

Just curious, but do they list the revision of the board on the listing. I just wonder because I heard a story about a guy ordering a BadAxe for his conroe open box and getting a pre304 revision that was no good for it. I can't order from NewEgg here in Canada so I have no idea other than that heresay.
Related resources
a c 435 V Motherboard
September 27, 2006 7:52:44 PM

It varies with the item. Sometimes they're listed, sometimes not.
September 27, 2006 8:38:16 PM

I've only done it once and it was a good experience. In my case, I was replacing the exact same type of motherboard, so I already had all the neccesary installation CD's, etc. But the CD was in the box, in any case.
September 27, 2006 8:45:54 PM

I bought a open box motherboard.Been great,no problems at all. :D 
September 27, 2006 9:30:19 PM

Do they come with the metal case insert for the back plane that goes around the ports?

If not, what have you done about it?
September 27, 2006 9:45:08 PM

The motherboard that I bought had the insert for around the ports.
September 27, 2006 10:11:49 PM

Quote:
Do they come with the metal case insert for the back plane that goes around the ports?

If not, what have you done about it?

I bust out the dremel and hack some holes into an old I/O shield. There are places near me that I can get shields for like 50 cents. Ain't perfect but better than nothing.
September 27, 2006 10:47:44 PM

I've bought refurb MB from newegg, and it works fine.
a b V Motherboard
September 27, 2006 11:04:41 PM

Quote:
I've bought refurb MB from newegg, and it works fine.

Are refurbished and open box the same thing? Open box motherboards at newegg are not refurbished I don't believe? Open Box are simply returned items from other customers. newegg doesn't test open box items at all. Anyway, here is the newegg policy:

Newegg.com does not test any product, including open box items. Open Box items therefore are only tested by the original manufacturer. Due to varying qualities between manufacturers, YOU ARE TAKING A RISK BUYING OPEN BOX PRODUCTS.

Open Box merchandise are OPEN BOX products that contain components that have been owned by other clients and returned to Newegg.com. The products are sold considerably under cost. Newegg.com guarantees all open box products for 15 days only. CPUs, however, only have 7 day refund-only return policy. All open box items are considered OEM "barebone" parts.

Barebone means Newegg.com can only guarantee the item by itself, and no other accessories. No matter what the product description says, open box products may not have all the other accessories normally shipped with a new product. Newegg.com only guarantees that the barebone item itself will be included. Do not be upset or surprised if your open box product does not contain any cables, adaptors, manuals, CDs, drivers, fan, etc. Newegg.com will not send you any missing accessories, even if the accessory is essential to the product's operation.

While Newegg.com does not like to discourage sales, only the experienced PC enthusiast should purchase open box items and know how to deal with missing accessories. Only buy open box products if you are willing to resolve defects and/or know how to find missing accessories.

Open Box products do have a considerably higher return rate than brand new items. If you are just looking to get a good deal, please only buy new products.

YOU ARE TAKING A RISK BUYING OPEN BOX PRODUCTS.
September 28, 2006 12:07:58 AM

You should assume refurb and open box are the same thing. They don't have to be, but mostly they are. If you don't want to assume that risk, don't buy them.

I just looked back at my invoice history on newegg, and it was an open-box board. In any case, you go into it knowing what you are buying and assume the risk. Newegg is good about their return policy and you won't have a problem returning it, even an open box or refub item.
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2006 12:15:11 AM

Quote:
You should assume refurb and open box are the same thing. They don't have to be, but mostly they are. If you don't want to assume that risk, don't buy them.

Two weeks ago I returned an ASUS board to Newegg. The day they received it they put it for sale as an open box. I always assume open boxes at newegg are untested returned items from other customers. While were on the subject, Micro Center, a local store, has a truckload of refurbished (manufacturer refurbished I suppose) Western Digital 250 GB IDE HDs 2mB transfer. I consider those to be recertified, or reworked from factory skilled technicians. I think you meant refurbished when you said refurbished. But I think newegg's open boxes are not refurbished. I think Tiger Direct calls their customer returns refurbished.
September 28, 2006 12:18:04 AM

I think it's all the same thing. If you are comfortable buying someone elses junk, then buy it. If not, buy new. That might be harsh, but it's the truth.

I'm sure if you get a reworked item from a manufacturer that has been tested or rebuilt, it might be slightly better than openbox, but I still don't know how it was handled before it was rebuilt and if it might have static damage, etc.

In short, buyer beware.

And, as I edited above, I purchased an open box, not refurb.
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2006 12:24:03 AM

Neegg is doable when buying someone elses returned stuff. Last week I wanted to buy 2 x 1 GB DDR2 PC6400 800 mhz. (OPEN BOX) $211.00 from newegg. I had it in my cart. I opted for the same RAM new 2 x 512 for $144.99. I keep telling myself I would have been fine with the open box. I even read the cutomer reviews and sorted out who might have returned it! You know, 'One stick worked, but when I put the other in it was crap!"
September 28, 2006 3:27:03 AM

Dont be silly. They are not going to resell broken merchandise knowingly. Newegg has legendary customer service. I know, they have shown it to me.
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2006 3:41:51 AM

Quote:
Dont be silly. They are not going to resell broken merchandise knowingly. Newegg has legendary customer service. I know, they have shown it to me.

Where did you get the idea they sell broken merchandise at you put it? Certainly not from me.
September 28, 2006 4:13:54 AM

Quote:
Anyone ever purchased an Open Box motherboard from New Egg? Was it a good experience?

To me Its not worth the few bucks you save (and its usually only a few, like 10% saving of the new cost) You never know what someone else has put the product through before you get it, or why they returned it in the first place. And generally, there are a lot of idiots out there.

If you heavily over-voltage or overheat electronics (say while trying extreme overclocking or running a cpu without a heatsink for a while), it may carry on working for a while enough to RMA it as a working product but it can introduce faults into the product, or shorten the components life to a few months, weeks or even hours.
September 28, 2006 11:34:06 AM

Quote:

If they don't test it, how will they know it isn't broken? But, I guess that is the point, they wouldn't know. :wink: But, Newegg does have good service, and if the part doesn't work they will refund or exchange.
September 28, 2006 12:51:02 PM

I bought this from Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

When I received it, it had all its excessories, software and manuals.
I did an imediate test with the 4800x2 cpu I wanted to put in it, the agp card I wanted to use, an old stick of ram and my standby power supply. I was able to get right to bios and it's now installed into an upgraded system.
So I'm very happy with the purchase.
I got this board as a stopgap, until Vista ships and I need to get a better video card. But hey it does PCIe so I'm covered for a year or so.
September 28, 2006 2:04:34 PM

Quote:
I even read the cutomer reviews and sorted out who might have returned it! You know, 'One stick worked, but when I put the other in it was crap!"

I was assuming from this response you thougjht Newegg would restock in this event. if someone returns something for RMA becuase its broken I bet they send it back to the manufacturer to be tested. Then the manufacturer returns the working parts to newegg for resale. Im sure the manufacturer dont test things too closely hence the higher return rates on refurbs. I also know a high percentage of returns are not actually broken parts.
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2006 2:19:47 PM

Newegg puts customer returns back up for sale as Open Box items. Newegg does not test anything. Of course Newegg does not send it back to the manufacturer before they offer it as an Opened Box item. I buy tons of stuff from Newegg. Newegg is head and shoulders above other online retailers. I have never bought an opened box item, especially a motherboard. BIOS flash gone wrong scares me off.
September 28, 2006 3:23:23 PM

Yes but if you send it back as broken they are not going to try to resell it as open box. That would harm their reputation too much. Those items probably go back to the manufacturer for testing or repair. Just like any retailer does it.
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2006 3:25:18 PM

Yeah, your are right I believe. Likely those go back to manufacturer for credit. Especially if the customers return the item numerous times all saying 'no good'.
September 28, 2007 3:49:10 AM

I say don't do it!

I am building my desktop for the first time, and I was extremely tight on cash. I managed to scrounge up a workable system from Newegg under $700 (everything including peripherals minus software).

Being poor, I jumped at the chance to buy a $40 motherboard with no delivery fee. I thought it was a steal. Caveat Emptor my friends... I didn't read the fine print so for a first time system builder the lack of manual, drivers, IDE and SATA cable hurt big time. Manual and drivers i downloaded... but IDE and SATA.... Best Buy is selling SATA cable at an outrageous price of $20. Circuit City sells IDE cable for $10 dollars... I didn't feel like waiting so I did the dumb thing of buying them.

While I was hooking everything up, I noticed the pins for the firewire were GONE! Apparently the doofus before me snapped them clean off.

If I were to return this motherboad to Newegg, I would have to pay a 15% restocking fee plus shipping and handling. That's $6 bucks for the fee. I notice that Newegg charges me $7 bucks to deliver an item like this, and I assume UPS will charge me a lot more. I assume fee plus shipping will cost me around $15.... Add that price to the price of missing cables... well... probably more like $10 bucks if anything... $25 bucks... but the hassle of driving out to the nearest UPS... none of this is good.

And I haven't even turned my machine on to see if it works! I have spent effectively $70 for my mobo. I could have gotten a pretty good mobo for that price at Newegg, new and without the hassle.

My conclusion: Opened items are trash. Forget'em. Newegg might be good with return policy and all, but it's just too much hassle and not worth it.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 31, 2008 6:28:31 AM

This is NewEgg’s Open-Box Policy:

“If you purchase an Open-Box product you will receive an OEM BAREBONE item, meaning you will only receive the item itself. Accessories are NOT INCLUDED with Open-Box products, even if the missing accessory is required for the item to function properly.”

That means that NewEgg makes an effort to strip the item of its kit. The kit being any item normally included that is an accessory. If you order a computer motherboard then that is all you get, just the motherboard. No cables, manual, software/drivers, back panel or mounting hardware. NewEgg removes all that stuff before shipping it to you, if that stuff was in the box.

I was suprised when my Open-Box Motherboard arrived. I only received the motherboard in a generic box. The board must have been sitting around and someone decided to restock it?

I don’t call this an Open-Box. An Open-Box item has some chance of having kit present in some degree. NewEgg guarantees there is no kit. NewEgg should call out this sort of purposefully defaced item by some name other than Open-Box. I don’t know of any other retailer that operates this way.
January 4, 2009 10:00:57 PM

asus open box motherboards come with the sound card (for example p5e x38) there will be no sound
March 18, 2010 9:51:17 PM

I am having an awful experience with a newegg open box motherboard. I came with no additional items. It is an asus rampage II gene and was (significantly) missing the i/o panel and the lcd poster. It posed fine and I got raid 0 going. So I ordered an i/o panel on ebay for $15.

All was looking good until i got to the point where I needed to plug in a mouse during install of Windows 7. I borrowed my optical mouse from my primary computer and that did not work. Then I tried a Microsoft wireless mouse my son had and that did not work. He then loaded me his new rechargeable wireless mouse he had not installed yet, and that did not work.

I took my mouse back to my primary computer so I could do some research on the problem, but the mouse was dead. I told my son, who checked and reported that his wireless mouse was also dead. So then I tried a USB hub to see if that would work with or without the added power. When I plugged that in (without the added power), I could hear a little click and smell the electrical smoke. So the USB is frying devices.

On top of this outrage, newegg charges a $25 restocking fee and lets you use their UPS discount for shipping, which is $10.50. Newegg says they check for basic functionality of theses items, but, you know.

So if you are trying to save money, think abut my experience and I wish you better luck.

UPDATE: After taking the system apart, and doing some research. I found 2 bent pins in the 1366 socket that I could straighten and now all is well. I am thankful for newegg's quick response (below) and I am sorry that I was not more diligent before requesting an RMA. - W

Removed message from NewEgg for confidentiality.
March 19, 2010 2:29:53 PM

wvanbusk said:
On top of this outrage, newegg charges a $25 restocking fee and lets you use their UPS discount for shipping, which is $10.50.

Dear wvanbusk,

Please accept our apology for any inconvenience caused by your purchase. We actually gladly waive restocking fees and provide UPS shipping labels for defective items. So I can help you with this, please e-mail your information to Joshua.L.Key@newegg.com or feel free to call me at 800-390-1119 ext 25092.

Thank You,
Newegg.com
March 20, 2010 8:28:24 PM

Thanks NewEgg!
August 5, 2010 2:59:57 AM

Newegg_Support said:
Dear wvanbusk,

Please accept our apology for any inconvenience caused by your purchase. We actually gladly waive restocking fees and provide UPS shipping labels for defective items. So I can help you with this, please e-mail your information to Joshua.L.Key@newegg.com or feel free to call me at 800-390-1119 ext 25092.

Thank You,
Newegg.com

That sir, is the most outstandingly amazing customer service I have EVER heard of. A reputation is a terrible thing to waste, and I see that Newegg has no intention of doing so.

This being said, I have confidence in Newegg, and I expect both my open box MSI G70-A54 motherboard, and my ASUS 5770 Cucore video-card to function perfectly in the brilliantly efficient and powerful $500 build. And if my expectations should fail me, I know that Newegg will stand behind their reputation as No.1 in the E-tailor customer service area.

Newegg 4 life! :D 
a b V Motherboard
August 5, 2010 3:21:23 AM

THing with OPEN BOX is that they have to rely on the customer that returned it to tell them the real reason for the return - and if they tell them it is fine or was not installed etc. they take them at their word and sell it as Open Box - even if the person returned it actually broke something but didn't want to tell them that - so you are always taking a chance.

Refurbished on the other hand is sent to a 3rd party for testing and repair and then sold after being repaired - so you have a much better chance of a refurb being a good product.

Personally I'll buy refurbs but I avoid anything Open Box - lived too close to a Fryes store and saw way too many open box items from them that were burned out - they do the same as Newegg and just reshrink wrap and discount it after a customer returns it without much testing if any. Figure in most cases it wouldn't have been returned if something wasn't wrong with it !!
August 5, 2010 3:30:51 AM

I bought an intel dp45sg open box from them , recieved it in reord time. It didnt come with any accessories but I got an i\o shield from intel for $6 and thats all I really needed. I went to install and fire it up to a big nothing . I looked it over for a few minutes and saw a jumper in the wrong position. I ran that board for a year with no problems and sold it to a friend who is still using it . Sometimes its the small things people overlook and give up.
July 26, 2011 3:33:03 PM

Bought an open box Asus gts450 video card. My fault for waiting to long to install it to find that it was bad out of the box. After contacting Asus I found ou the card has been repaired by them twice previously and newegg knew all abou it. After discussing the fact that the description on the ad should have stated this. All I asked was to have a replacement sent and being I paid 20 dollars less than the cost of new I would think they would have had compassion to my cause. Nope none at all! Sorry no warranty no return and no manufacturer warranty! From my experience open box has always carried a manufacturer warranty but not in this case. I've found this to be very misleading and it's deceptive business practice that newegg is playing. I've also bout thousands of dollars of product through the years from them and have always been very happy with them. But it's sad that I've had to learn the hard way of a failing economy and a company who now resorts to sellin junk for premium money and not caring how the customer ends up with the item. Open box cases and things like that I can see buying but from now on I'll never touch an open box computer hardware item from them!
August 5, 2011 3:01:03 PM

Hello Bargainspy69

Newegg apologies for the delay in responding to your post and for your inconvenience. We want to speak with you directly in hopes that we can resolve this matter. For assistance we request that you contact Newegg representative Dianne Segue at 800-390-1119 ext 25045 or email her at dianne.v.segue@newegg.com.

Your time is appreciated and we look forward to hearing from you.

Newegg.com
June 5, 2012 1:16:46 AM

I know this post is old but I too just bought an Asus Rampage Extreme IV from newegg what I though was open box, it came with everything but the IO shield not that big of deal what bothers me is I bought this item expecting to be a new used or floor model item OPEN BOX. But I called Asus to find out how much was left on the warranty to find out that it's an Item that as been returned and fixed and only comes with a 90 day warranty from Asus. I don't understand NEWEGG if they have a refurbished section than this should have been sold under that pretense not under open box becuase open box is not Refurbished and this is very misleading practice of buisness. Not happy with newegg.
!