2 Cpu's on a single socket

Ronhrin

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I have several unused AMD Ahtlon CPU's and Boards, and I was wondering about if it was possible to place 2 CPU's on a single-socket board.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Nope, and it would probably be a true frankenstien system, since I doubt any chipset would begin to be able to figure out how to do anything of the sort...

But imagine an Athlon and an Intel running side by side... Might create a black hole...

Ronhrin

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
my question was basicly just about the chipset, what I was planning to do was to grab 2 Socket 754 MoBo's and 2 AMD Athlon CPU's, then I would remove the weld of one socket and then I would to weld that free socket in the back of the intact MoBo, after that it was just a matter of placing the coolers on both sides of the board and turn it on.

but as I've said, my question was only to check if this procedure was technily possible, if the MoBo would boot with that configuration.

breedalot

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
dude your mad!

that evil kind of madness that ends up creating things like X2, sli or double decker buses.

what about a double decker car kids up the top aduts down the bottom.....

my question was basicly just about the chipset, what I was planning to do was to grab 2 Socket 754 MoBo's and 2 AMD Athlon CPU's, then I would remove the weld of one socket and then I would to weld that free socket in the back of the intact MoBo, after that it was just a matter of placing the coolers on both sides of the board and turn it on.

but as I've said, my question was only to check if this procedure was technily possible, if the MoBo would boot with that configuration.

:lol: Go for it! Give it a try! Just do us a favor and be sure to have a video camera running when you first power it up so you can share the results!

madmouse67

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
what about a double decker car kids up the top aduts down the bottom.....

Drove one! Top deck steers while lower deck does the peddles :lol:

Also two front halves welded together, called the push me pull me :twisted:

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I have several unused AMD Ahtlon CPU's and Boards, and I was wondering about if it was possible to place 2 CPU's on a single-socket board.

The proper thing to do would be to ship them all to me for proper disposal. PM me for my shipping address.

also the pins would be in the wrong positions as the cpu would be back to front... aside from it being a stupid idea, what hardware will tell which cpu to do what...

Reckless187

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
8O 8O 8O

What if you solder a wire from a pin on one cou to the corresponding pin on the other cpu and repeat for all pins and then plug one into the mobo, you might have to use a hammer to gently knock it into place but use a block of wood as you do not want to damage you cherished hardware, & make sure you use insulated wire cos you dont want a short circuit!

That would definately work mate! Trust me :D

or you could sell all your old junk on ebay or something and buy something newer!!!!

Nice idea though.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you could put two identical processors on the same socket, the board would see them as one, and both would do the same exact work at the same exact time. You'd get zero performance boost, but you would have some redundancy.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You don't seem to understand what I'm saying, and I'm starting to doubt your electrical knowledge: I'll make it as simple as adding 2+2:

Add 2+2, get 4
Add 2+2 on two processor, get 4

The data going into both would be the same
The data comming out of both would be the same
Everything done on the first processor would be done exactly the same on the second.

Software doesn't come into play. Software is not a factor. Hardware doesn't even come into play, because you're using common pins so that no hardware is going to be able to tell the difference. Two identical processors sitting on the same pins will be seen as one processor regardless.

No BIOS problems either. Imagine two people typing the exact same thing in morse code, on the exact same telegraph wire, at the exact same time...the receiver only hears one signal. The signal might be twice as strong, but it's still only one signal.

Reckless187

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
What about the cache on each core? How would the mobo differentiate between the two? how would it decide which cache on which cpu to use?

Are you gonna be running them in series? Or maybe it would work in a parallel(universe) setup? :wink:

You're right about my electrical knowledge being crap cos I done Mechanical engineering and hated the elec lessons,it was even more boring then the mechanical side

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Great, you have mechanical knowledge. Imagine a V8 running at 2,000 RPM. Now imagine a 4-cylinder running at 2,000 RPM. Put either one in the same car, and its going the same speed.

I'm saying that if the CPU's are identical and using the same data pins, every operation would be identical. Every bit of information stored in cache would be identical. Etc.

Yes, it would be parallel, the only difference you'd be able to notice is that the electrical current would be twice as great.

Reckless187

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
Mickey taking aside, it's a good idea you've got but whether it'd work i'm not too sure but thats just my opinion. This would make a great project & hope you go for it.

For a bit more technical help try Overclockerzforum.com, they would definately be able to answer your questions mate.

Your mechanical knowledge and analogy were a bit weak though.
A V8 & 4 cylinder engine at 2000rpm wouldn'y be doing the same speed (mph, kph etc) as the gear ratios would be different, because the V8 would have a higher top end, the ratios in each gear would be more spread out compared to the 4 cyl which has a lower top speed. :wink:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OMG, it sounds like you need help in the mechanical knowledge area too!

I said the same car d00d, my analogy is sound. Same car means same transmission and differential. Same RPM means same RPM. You can have the throttle open 15 degrees or 40 degrees or whatever, I said same RPM.

This is possible. Think about it a minute. If it still baffels your mind, think about it some more. The V8 would be under low-load, the 4-cylinder under moderate load.

OK, so let me put this in reverse: 1:1 used to be THE ratio for top gear in a manual transmission, before overdrive became the norm, yes I'm talking about the early 70's and before. Now, you have a Pinto, I have a Mustang, you have a 4-cylinder, I have a V8. We're crusing down the highway in top gear, we both have 7.80-14" Coopers on our cars (metric sizes aren't popular in the U.S. yet), we both have a 3.11 rear end. We're both going 60MPH too, and my car is at 2,000 RPM so guess what yours is? Sure, your throttle is open 1/3 and mine is open 1/8, that's beside the point.

I once had an audio amplifier with two transistors on each channel. Those two were in parallel. If you removed one, the other still worked and the music had the same frequencies, but at 3db less volume. And eventually overheated, but that's again beside the point.

Reckless187

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
Your talking about putting two cpus in one mobo at the same time, so does your analogy state your gonna put two engines in the same car at the same time? How you gonna do that david blane? lol your just changing your analogy to suit.

V8 is a bigger engine dood. Same transmission? Find me one car where you can take the gearbox off a 4 cyl and make it fit a V8. Aint physically possible. Nothing will line up. Explain your analogies a bit better, maybe you mean they have the same GEAR RATIOS? :)

No point spouting pointless figures cos it dont mean jack in this discussion. We were talking about fitting 2 cpu's in asingle socket mobo from what I can remember.