X2 4000+ @ 2.86 but need RAM help!!

Raeven_Zero

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
[/i]I would appreciate any help I can get with this.

Ok...I have my 2.0Ghz x2 running at 2.86 and it's just great and as stable as can be. My RAM is the problem.

I have some Corsair XMS2-800. On my old NF4 board I could go through all the multiplyers and pretty much set the RAM to my hearts desire. I am a violent man though and I broke that board and decided to get the new Gigabyte M59SLI-S5. I can run my processor stable @ 3.0Ghz on this board :) but I am still a sad...and violent man for my ram does no cooperate with me, which might be a problem with the board. Let me start a new paragraph now.

I can have everything stock (+.1v on RAM) for stability at 800Mhz but it won't boot at the 667 divider or the 533 divider. 800Mhz and 400Mhz is all I can get this RAM to work at since I got this board. Weird huh? So right now with the FSB running at 286 I am forced to also run the RAM at 286(572). I went ahead and dropped my timings to 3-4-3-12 from 5-5-5-15 to try to compensate for the loss.

My question is why can I not use the other dividers? From stock to where I am now these dividers do not work. Is this the MOBO or RAM causing the problem? Am I better off keeping it how it is now (572@3-4-3-12) or try to fix the problem and go for 533 (762@4-3-4-14 estimated)?

I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks in advance.

-Raeven

[/i]I would appreciate any help I can get with this.

Ok...I have my 2.0Ghz x2 running at 2.86 and it's just great and as stable as can be. My RAM is the problem.

I have some Corsair XMS2-800. On my old NF4 board I could go through all the multiplyers and pretty much set the RAM to my hearts desire. I am a violent man though and I broke that board and decided to get the new Gigabyte M59SLI-S5. I can run my processor stable @ 3.0Ghz on this board :) but I am still a sad...and violent man for my ram does no cooperate with me, which might be a problem with the board. Let me start a new paragraph now.

I can have everything stock (+.1v on RAM) for stability at 800Mhz but it won't boot at the 667 divider or the 533 divider. 800Mhz and 400Mhz is all I can get this RAM to work at since I got this board. Weird huh? So right now with the FSB running at 286 I am forced to also run the RAM at 286(572). I went ahead and dropped my timings to 3-4-3-12 from 5-5-5-15 to try to compensate for the loss.

My question is why can I not use the other dividers? From stock to where I am now these dividers do not work. Is this the MOBO or RAM causing the problem? Am I better off keeping it how it is now (572@3-4-3-12) or try to fix the problem and go for 533 (762@4-3-4-14 estimated)?

I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks in advance.

-Raeven

Besides having the fastest X2 your side of the Euphrates, you failed to mention which MB you have? Have you tried a BIOS update on your board (which is BTW)?

Maybe this helps. I have an MSI Platinum socket 939 NF4 board that will boot up with the RAM in my sig set at 500 mhz. It runs well over 500 mhz. on the MSI board. On the ASUS board in the sig, the same RAM will not boot when set to 500 mhz. in BIOS. So...my vote says it's your MOBO holding you back. HTH.

Raeven_Zero

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
3rd paragraph 4th line (Gigabyte M59SLI-S5). It's easy to miss though with the long post. Running at 533 should be well within the limits of the RAM and the motherboard can easily run the RAM at the 800 setting but with this overclock it is too much for the RAM. I need the 533 in order to get the most out of my RAM. I was looking for a bios update and last night was the first time they had one (I would suggest since this is a farely new board and they produced it with the most current bios). Anyway, I updated it to F5 from F4. I then loosened the timings to stock and up it to 533 and it didn't boot. I put it back how it was and let it run. I thought I would flash it again just in case.....when I did I noticed that it had somehow reverted back to F4. I'm at work right now but I might try playing with it a little more tonight.

About that Euphrates comment....I'm not for sure what competition I have to the west of me, but I can say with total confidence that I'm not only the fastest, but the only X2 between here and the Euphrates (since that's about 15 miles of baron wasteland. :lol:

Web

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2004
Having just returned from Iraq (Tikrit) a week ago and I'll also guarantee you have the fastest thing smoking there. I also hope you have a real good UPS.

I have the 4200 running at 2.5 on an Epox MF570SLI - I know it will go a lot faster, but I had to use cheap RAM (Kingston HyperX5400 - 667) and it just doesn't want to play when I try and go faster.

Anyway, watch yourself

Yeah I missed the Gigabyte M59SLI-S5 :oops: . I realy wonder if you RAM really won't run at 667 mhz and move up with the other adjustmets you make? Have you tried setting the BIOS to default speeds, then trying to boot at 533 and 667? I think it's your board not cooperating, not the RAM. I also think you are right about the system should boot speeds other than 400, 800. I wonder if that chipset will work like that on other boards than Gigabyte, boot at 400/800 but not 533 or 667? In my case the MSI board and the ASUS baord are both Nforce4 chipsets. MSI will boot and run the RAM well past 500 mhz. Not the ASUS. Boots at 400 mhz setting in BIOS, but won't boot at 500 setting. So, both boards same chipset? hmmmm? I wish I knew the answer too.

Raeven_Zero

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Hey Web. I hope you are enjoying your time back. I head back in a couple of weeks. It's been a long year her and I can't wait to get back, get married, and really start my life. I hope that everything has went well for you. Thanks for being out here too.

As for the problem....I played around a little bit and at stock she runs with all RAM dividers. But as I start to overclock it will crash at 667 or 533 before it will even at 800. Weird huh? I can get over 950 with it on the 800 setting but i probably can't even reach 700 on the 667 setting or 600 on the 533 setting. With the 400 setting I can get it up to 600Mhz which is where my cpu looses stablility at the max vcore that I will run it at (1.5). I guess i'm probably stuck at running ~560Mhz with really tight timing. Funning thing is that if I set it on 533 I can't even run at 560 with stock timings. I'm stumped.

Web

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2004
Wish I was smart enough to help you out 8O

I'm battling my own demons trying to get my 4200 stable at 2.6. Trial and error baby!!!

web
101st ABN