How do I use PPPoE using Windows 98?

lwh1016

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
I have a Windows 98 computer that is still working fine and I would like it to go on to the internet using PPPoE. My Windows Xp computer is able to do so but on my Windows 98 computer, the dialer does not recognize my ethernet card. Under device manager it is enabled and working because I had installed the given drivers. I believe the ethernet card is from D-link.

My ISP gave me a Cd with the dialer to access the internet but when I try to activate it, the dialer says that my computer do not have an ethernet card. I tried calling the ISP but the solutions they provided so far did not work. One of the solution the customer service department proposed was to download some pppoe dialer from www.raspppoe.com and the dialer that was provided on the site also return the same error message that my system is not exposed to any pppoe connection. Physically, all the connections are correct and working.

Using the same configuration and plugging it into my Windows Xp com works fine. May I know a good solution to enable my Windows 98 com to get on the internet?

shadowspank

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
get a cable/dsl router and set it ip to login to your dsl pppoe account and plug the two computers into the router done deal. Your wasteing your time 98 is not really supported anymore and you dont want to install that pppoe crap on your computer if it did not come on it. I have installed some when the 1st dsl came out its all junk. Get a d-link or linksys router. with a switch on it and you will be all set. As long as you get that nic to work in the 98 computer.