Is it possible to network with XP Home?

Can someone tell me if it's possbile to network with XP Home?
I was under the impression that this was the difference between Professional
and Home versions?

Machine sold with XP Home come with a LAN port - so I would assume you can
network?

I don't necessarily want to network... I want to setup a wireless network.
Is this the same thing?

Thanks.

OM

In news:Gk2nd.86$4B3.53@newsfe2-win.ntli.net,
OM <OM@yahoo.com> typed:

> Can someone tell me if it's possbile to network with XP Home?

Yes, certainly you can.

> I was under the impression that this was the difference between
> Professional and Home versions?

No, not at all. The difference with regard to networking is that
Professional can join a domain and Home can not. With respect to
an ordinary peer-to-peer network (almost certainly what you would
want), they are the same.

My home network here consists of one computer running XP
Professional and two running XP Home.

> Machine sold with XP Home come with a LAN port - so I would
> assume
> you can network?

Correct.

> I don't necessarily want to network... I want to setup a
> wireless
> network. Is this the same thing?

Yes. As the name indicates, a "wireless network" is a kind of
network--it's one that communicates by radio waves rather than
cables. Other than how the components are connected, there's no
difference between a wireless network and a cabled one.

Please reply to the newsgroup

"OM" <OM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Can someone tell me if it's possbile to network with XP Home?
> I was under the impression that this was the difference between
> Professional and Home versions?
>
> Machine sold with XP Home come with a LAN port - so I would assume you can
> network?
>
> I don't necessarily want to network... I want to setup a wireless network.
> Is this the same thing?
>
> Thanks.
>

> OM

Yes No Yes Yes

can someone tell me how i can turn my laptop keyboard into a number pad. what
is the code to do that

Consult the website for the manufacturer of your laptop. This is not an XP
issue.

"CLARISSA" <CLARISSA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> can someone tell me how i can turn my laptop keyboard into a number pad.
> what
> is the code to do that

It's normally a simple matter of using a specific <Fn>+<Fxx> key
stroke combination. The specific combination used by your laptop can
be determined by looking at the keyboard. If that fails, consult the
manual that accompanied it.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: