X1900 XT problem, "no signal" message

Derek_Z

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Hi,

I bought a new computer the other day but now I have some problems. First off, here's the comp:

Cooler Master Mystique 631, Black Aluminium, Window (without PSU)
Hiper Power Supply ATX 530W Black, 120mm Fan, 4xSATA, 2XPCI-E, 20/24pin
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.4GHz Socket AM2 1MB, BOXED w/Fan
Corsair Value S. PC5300 DDR2 2048MB Kit w/two matched Value Select 1024MB
MSI K9N Platinum, nForce 570 Ultra, DDR2 ,Socket-AM2,2xGbLAN,Firew, ATX, PCI-Ex16
PowerColor Radeon X1900XT 256MB GDDR3, PCI-Express, ViVo, Dual-DVI-I, Retail
Sony DVD-burner DWQ120AB2 IDE OEM Black DVD±R/RW (Dual Layer)
Samsung SpinPoint P120S 250GB SATA2 8MB 7200RPM

Ok, so this was my first time building from scratch and it took some time but when i finally finished I wanted to try it out to see that everything worked. It tried it without monitor the first time and every fan and so on was spinning and nothing seemed wrong. Then i tried to open the cd-rom but it wouldnt open and the light in the front was constantly on. So finally I figured that when I unplugged the IDE cable the cd-rom worked just fine to open and close and the light was just on the moment i opened or closed.

Then i tried to start up with a monitor but i didnt get any picture, just the "no signal" message. I've tried to unplugg the cd-rom completely out of the system and tried to reset CMOS. And I've made sure the card isn't loose or anything and I also tried the other slot on the MB and I've tried both connectors on the back with two brand new adaptors since the 1900xt comes with other connectors. I'm not sure about cables and stuff like that but I've got a, I think it's 6-pinned, cable attached to the graphic card. Oh, and by the way, the fan on the graphic card is spinning as well so it seems it's got power.

So I'm not the most experienced guy and i hope I can find some guidance here and I would very much appreciate any help concerning the graphic card, cd-rom or both.

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
A lot of time I overlook this tiny problem and it bugs the hell outta me...

Check to make sure that the 6-pin PCIe connector is plugged into your video card as it requires it. If your video card is receiving no video it will show you that.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't read your post fully... I can't brain today I've got the dumb

Possibly try another 6 pin cable? Also I would do as the above poster said and pull memory see if you get any beeps.

ArbY

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2004
It's not necessarily your video card.
Could be a loose connection, or perhaps you missed one of the motherboard power plugs. On my motherboard at least, there's a 4-pin plug for the CPU and a 24-pin plug for the main ATX connector. I'm not referring to the dinky little pins that you'd plug a fan into; actual plugs.

[off-topic] The RAM you got will bog down your system a bit since it's 533MHz as opposed to 800MHz. The new AM2 CPUs (2.0, 2.4, 2.8GHz) will run 1:1 with the memory at DDR2-800. [/off-topic]

If the 6-pin cable you're plugging into the video card is labeled, make sure it says "PCI-E."

Can't think of much more, other than what mpilchfamily suggested, about plugging the PC Speaker in to listen for beeps.

If your motherboard is anything like mine, you'll need to remove the BIOS battery then move the jumper in order to clear the CMOS -- then replace the battery. Your mobo manual should outline that process.

If you have any additional information, please post!

Hope things work out for you.

ArbY

jquon

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
You'll need to lookup what the default is on your motherboard but make sure that you have the video card in the appropriate PCIe slot (x1 vs. x16).

Good luck

Derek_Z

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Do you have a motherboard speaker hooked up. If not see about getting one. If somthing isn't right, like RAM not plugged in right or video card not working the system will beep at you.

I've got a 4-pin cable attached to a place with 4x2+1 pins labeled JFP2 on the MB. This is right around the battery and the cable is labeled speaker and goes to the front panel. If this is correct u mean that if something isnt as it should be the system will beep?

Derek_Z

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
It's not necessarily your video card.
Could be a loose connection, or perhaps you missed one of the motherboard power plugs. On my motherboard at least, there's a 4-pin plug for the CPU and a 24-pin plug for the main ATX connector. I'm not referring to the dinky little pins that you'd plug a fan into; actual plugs.

Got one (think its 4-pin) connected right "above" the primary PCIe slot and one (much bigger) right next the the RAM. Also, do one have to follow a certain pattern or something like that when plugging in the power from the PSU? Because I just randomly selected which cable went from one place to another.

If your motherboard is anything like mine, you'll need to remove the BIOS battery then move the jumper in order to clear the CMOS -- then replace the battery. Your mobo manual should outline that process.

Yeah, that's what I did. Just that I had a little red button instead. So i removed the battery and pressed and holded it for like 6 secs.

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
Hi,

I bought a new computer the other day but now I have some problems. First off, here's the comp:

Cooler Master Mystique 631, Black Aluminium, Window (without PSU)
Hiper Power Supply ATX 530W Black, 120mm Fan, 4xSATA, 2XPCI-E, 20/24pin
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.4GHz Socket AM2 1MB, BOXED w/Fan
Corsair Value S. PC5300 DDR2 2048MB Kit w/two matched Value Select 1024MB
MSI K9N Platinum, nForce 570 Ultra, DDR2 ,Socket-AM2,2xGbLAN,Firew, ATX, PCI-Ex16
PowerColor Radeon X1900XT 256MB GDDR3, PCI-Express, ViVo, Dual-DVI-I, Retail
Sony DVD-burner DWQ120AB2 IDE OEM Black DVD±R/RW (Dual Layer)
Samsung SpinPoint P120S 250GB SATA2 8MB 7200RPM

Ok, so this was my first time building from scratch and it took some time but when i finally finished I wanted to try it out to see that everything worked. It tried it without monitor the first time and every fan and so on was spinning and nothing seemed wrong. Then i tried to open the cd-rom but it wouldnt open and the light in the front was constantly on. So finally I figured that when I unplugged the IDE cable the cd-rom worked just fine to open and close and the light was just on the moment i opened or closed.

Then i tried to start up with a monitor but i didnt get any picture, just the "no signal" message. I've tried to unplugg the cd-rom completely out of the system and tried to reset CMOS. And I've made sure the card isn't loose or anything and I also tried the other slot on the MB and I've tried both connectors on the back with two brand new adaptors since the 1900xt comes with other connectors. I'm not sure about cables and stuff like that but I've got a, I think it's 6-pinned, cable attached to the graphic card. Oh, and by the way, the fan on the graphic card is spinning as well so it seems it's got power.

So I'm not the most experienced guy and i hope I can find some guidance here and I would very much appreciate any help concerning the graphic card, cd-rom or both.

ok...i see you have a problemm....

first......take the mobo out of the case ..and start it ..without ..memory and video card...only.. the cpu.
you should hear beeps from the speaker......see what those beeps are telling you.....use the manual
if the beep code saids no memory ...them install the memory
...and the the video card...and so on ......this way you`ll know ..exactly what is wrong

...for example ..if the mobo asks (error code..beeps from the speaker) the video card....and after you insert it nothing happens ..then you have a faulty video card..

my quess is that you either have a shortcut between the mobo and case ..or you have a defective mobo.....

good luck...