Sign in with
Your question

NB SB cooling help...

Last response: in Overclocking
September 27, 2006 8:29:21 PM

I am currently running a Gigabyte 965-S3 and my E6300 is overclocked to 2.8Ghz... Both North/South bridge HS are passive (and they get hot)... Would taking them off and replacing the paste with Arctic Silver 5 help? Or is that just dumb? I also have a couple of little fans I could install, but I'd rather not have the added clutter. Better yet... has anyone here had any luck using a good aftermarket NB and/or SB cooling solution? Thanks!

More about : cooling

September 28, 2006 2:20:47 AM

Hmm.. there doesn't seem to be very many options from newegg... not to mention the prices......... 40mm fans, $1 ea... well, I gotta tell ya that option isn't looking too bad! Where did you purchase the Jing Ting Forcetake? Thanks for the reply!
September 28, 2006 2:27:14 AM

A reply from the master, thank you. As my previous post hints... fans are looking like a mighty fine option! Would it be worth it at all to put AS-5 on them as well, or just the fans? .... I wanted to ask you, if you can find the time, I followed your guide as best as I could, easily got to 2.8ghz, but my question is what Mhz should my DDR2 be running at while the cpu is at 2.8ghz? (It's Geil ddr2-800 @ 4-4-4-12) At that overclock they are only running what they are ment to 400mhz?? Thanks soo much!
Related resources
September 28, 2006 5:52:20 PM

Thanks for the reply again, and thanks for the help... I'm taking the route easier traveled... Going to apply some AS-5 (since I already have it) and attach a fan. I believe there's plenty of room in there, my 7600GT isn't that big. No need to go all out I guess. Thanks again! I appreciate it!
September 28, 2006 6:01:16 PM

Accidently... well then, I'm a lucky dog! :wink: I guess since I already own a couple tubes of AS-5, I'll go ahead and replace the "stock" paste with it. I hope you don't reach across and slap me for asking this, but is Carb cleaner an acceptable non-polar solvent? I've used it before... oops. I'll be digging into your guide again tonight when I'm off... tired of working... must... win... lottery!!! I really appreciate your master advice thanks for taking the time to help out the little guys!! (If I win the lotto, you're getting guidance fees!! $$) THGC rocks!!

(damn, i sound like a kiss-ass... i'm just very appreciative)
September 28, 2006 6:41:11 PM

I wouldn't use carb-cleaner. You can pick up 90% or better rubbing alcohol from just about any store on the cheap and it will work just fine. Maybe not as good as wusy's "paint-stripper", but it will work.

Honestly, you could probably just slap the 40mm fan on the NB and SB without changing the TIM and save yourself the hassle.

Carefull wusy, don't let all this hero worship go to your head. It will swell and then explode.
September 28, 2006 7:08:26 PM

Quote:
Carefull wusy, don't let all this hero worship go to your head. It will swell and then explode.

Is that like mitosis? Will we then have Wusy1 and Wusy2?

Wusy 2 Duo? And later on, will we have Wusysfield or 4xWusy4?

Wusy, just think of all the things you can do once your clones are trained...
September 28, 2006 7:24:48 PM

Haha! I don't mean to... wait... how crazy would his forum be with multiple Wusy's!? 8O

So... carb cleaner is a no-go... are there any negative effects from using it? I mean, I have both carb cleaner and 91% alcohol at home, so I could use one or the other. I just thought since carb cleaner strips the surface so well (of oils especially) and then it dries up super quick, it would be ideal? Seriously, thank you all for the feedback! 8)
September 28, 2006 7:25:38 PM

lol more wussy to help all the newbs!!! yay!!!
September 28, 2006 7:30:07 PM

Quote:
So... carb cleaner is a no-go... are there any negative effects from using it?

Probably best to not use it for making margaritas.
September 28, 2006 7:47:29 PM

No I suspect about the time wusy's head explodes, it will be roughly the same time a certain individual (thing, creature??) gets hungry in the basement.

Truth about the carb cleaner....I don't know. 8) What I do know is that some chemical cleaners can leave behind a residue that may cause problems. Is carb cleaner one of them....I don't know.

What I do know, 90% (or better) rubbing alcohol works just fine, is cheap and can be easily obtained which is why I never bothered to see if carb cleaner works. :wink:
September 28, 2006 8:23:58 PM

LMAO!! :o  Totally caught me off guard when I read that!! Good stuff!!
September 28, 2006 8:26:40 PM

I catch your point... and it's a good one I might add! :wink: I'm gonna have fun tonight working on my mobo, alcohol in one had and a margarita w/a shot of carb cleaner in the other! :mrgreen:
September 28, 2006 9:47:06 PM

Quote:
What I do know is that some chemical cleaners can leave behind a residue that may cause problems. Is carb cleaner one of them....I don't know.

Well, I can tell you that carb cleaner does leave a residue. Absolutely. If you look at publications regarding residuals in different solvent and cleaners, carb cleaner does not come out on the super-clean end of the scale, but it's competition is tough. If ultra low residue is important, I'd recommend something polar like alcohol followed by HPLC grade methyl-ethyl ketone. That leaves a very clean surface compared to any single solvent.

Quote:
What I do know, 90% (or better) rubbing alcohol works just fine, is cheap and can be easily obtained which is why I never bothered to see if carb cleaner works. :wink:

What you have to be careful about is that rubbing alcohol tends to have lanolin or something like that added to keep it from drying skin excessively. So if you can find a hardware store alcohol, the residuals it leaves behind are less oily compounds.
September 28, 2006 10:44:40 PM

Hmmm, well I'm just some geek off the street so I'm not familiar with HPLC grade methyl-ethyl ketone or wusy's 95% me/ethanol paint-stripper concoction but thanks for the info. Are these items you can get easily?

Although, honestly I'll probably just stick with the 90% (or better) isopropyl alcoho but it's nice to have alternatives that you know will work. I've never had a problem with it and it's easy to get just about anywhere.
September 29, 2006 2:22:45 AM

Quote:
Hmmm, well I'm just some geek off the street so I'm not familiar with HPLC grade methyl-ethyl ketone or wusy's 95% me/ethanol paint-stripper concoction but thanks for the info. Are these items you can get easily?

Sorry for dropping the acronym. HPLC means "high pressure liquid chromatography". I'd never really thought about getting HPLC solvents shipped to a home. You'd probably have the DEA watching you. I've just taken a vial home every now and then... You might be able to get something like Wusy's recommending at a good paint store. I have seen lanolin-free alcohol at hardware stores.
September 29, 2006 5:47:56 PM

Quote:
@Anoobis, I'm going to try keep my promise and get back on track like I said in my thread last month. And if I do fulfil my promise then today will be a very special day for me here...
I have now full confidence this forum is ready as I had long anticipated.

I have mixed emotions:

Emotion A: Mother of God.....what have we done?[/dead serious tone]

Emotion B: Say it aint so!!![/tears welling up]

Emotion C: Congratulations on your success. You smell terrific![/Ace Ventura]
October 2, 2006 11:13:38 PM

ONE FINAL question, please... I bought some quick drying "electronic cleaner" it states to "clean and protect sensitive electronic equipment, helps prevent contact failure, and leaves no residue." -Contains: Methanol, n-Hexane, Isohexane, Petroleum Distillate, and Carbon Dioxide. Whaddya think? :?:

-I recently re-did my cpu, as well as my Northbridge with AS-5 and my cpu temps dropped 3deg C already. In addition, I added a fan to my NB. I read from Arctic Silver's website that for an Intel dual-core cpu all you have to do is put a thin line running the same way as the two-cores, with no reference to spreading it... ?? :?

-Opinions? Thanks again! :wink:
October 3, 2006 2:52:45 PM

do i remove the chipset heatsink or just place this heat sink on top
Quote:
Ussing AS5 will help. But it will only knock off 2-5 c.

The NB on my motherboard was passive so i replaced it with the Jing Ting Forcetake cooler. I liked it better then the Thermal Take version. The TT version didn't seam to have a very good setup for securing it to the motherboard. These where my only 2 choices because my video card sits over top of the NB. Here is a good list of your options.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2010110...

I was told when looking for this cooler that the Swiftech MCX159 was the best. But i couldn't use it cause of my video card.
October 3, 2006 3:39:23 PM

do you think it would really make a diffrence in oc'ing to cool the chipset
October 3, 2006 3:55:09 PM

thanks for the info! damn here goes another teardown.
October 3, 2006 4:23:07 PM

Yes, those AS5 instructions are correct. They have a new instruction page on their website that's pretty self explanatory if you read through it instead of "glancing" at it like most people do.
a b K Overclocking
October 3, 2006 5:55:25 PM

Quote:
You know i saw that you changed your sig and was just itching to correct your grammer on your new statement.

I am more likely to try to correct someone's spelling than his grammar. Oh well...
October 3, 2006 5:57:45 PM

It's just that I hear people here always preaching "spread it thin," or "the thinner the better." It was just weird that the instructions inform the user to place a small bead of AS-5 along the two cores and then to place the HS directly down onto the cpu, then twist 2 degrees either way. No spreading... if spreading will help, I would like to re-do my cpu again. I'm just worried because my E6300 (stock) idles at 40C... granted it is pretty hot in my house... I've gotten it up to 2.8ghz easily, but I'd rather not with leave it there with the temp that high at only stock. Thanks again. Your advice/opinions are valued.
October 3, 2006 6:32:48 PM

If the room the computer is in is warm then the cooling system can only do so much, especially if it is air cooling. If that's the stock cooler, and the room is warm like you say it is, then those temps are probably are more likely due to the temperature of the room and not improper use of a thermal paste. Unfortunately most people make the mistake of not indicating a room's temperature when they indicate what temps their system is running. A computer running in a room at a cool 72 degrees is going to run cooler than an identical system running in a room at 82 degrees.

The AS5 instructions say a "very thin line". I read this as not a "bead" as thick as a grain of rice which is what some people may interpret it as. I haven't build a C2D system yet so I haven't exprimented on how thick the line of AS5 should be. I would guesstimate maybe a line similiar in width as the AS5 images show by about a 1/4 of the height of a grain of rice. You could propbably accomplish this by applying a small dab at a time and use the AS5 tube end to "draw" your line with each dab. Just try to keep the thickness consistent.

Also keep in mind that there is some sort of thermal paste underneath the heatspreader directly on the core too so this doen't need to be done with space shuttle tolerances.
!