system for making movies

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
After my first successful build for someone else I now have someone else who wants me to build him a machine for, as he says, "making movies as fast as possible". Price is no object (though I don't want to quote him TOO much) and wanted some advice on components.

CPU-e6600
Memory-ddr2 667 - 2 gb (should I use ddr2 800 for movies?)
HDD 320gb (or should I go with 2 in RAID 0 for movies)
DVD - 1 DVD-ROM and 1 dual layer burner
Mobo - which one? Intel or Nvidia? Do the Intel 965 boards all have the modification for booting off of IDE optical drives? Or should I get a SATA dvd?
OS - Windows Media Center
GPU - no idea what is needed here...I know I don't need a gamers card...maybe an x1900 gt or 7900gt?
case/PS - Antec sonata w/ 420w psu

No need to go through the trouble of putting a link in your response to a specific product. Just your input (unless you WANT to put a link in) :)

Thanks!

Eddie

With a system like this can I use the standard thermal cmp on the stock fan or do I need to use AS5?

horstmann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
GPU - no idea what is needed here...I know I don't need a gamers card...maybe an x1900 gt or 7900gt?

Those are gamers cards by every definition. Do they need to do video capture with the computer? If they do ATI has some good AIW cards to capture video with. If not a 6600gt would be more than enough for editing video.

I would use just the stock heatsink if you have no intention of overclocking the machine for them.

I like using 2 hard drives for editing video but not in a RAID0. One has the operating system and program files on it(can be a small capacity) and the second is used for holding the files you are working on ( a larger capacity like the 320GB you have listed). Just make sure they are fast SATA drives and you won't have a problem.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Ask him if he'd consider a Mac Pro - pretty much the fastest systems you can get right now, and with quad-Xeon cores it's a video editor's dream computer. And if he doesn't like Mac OS (who doesn't, though) it runs Windows just fine as well.

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
I asked this guy more about what he wants, and he said it's strictly for burning movies to DVD. No editing, no capturing, just copying. (Legal or not is not my call...does Dell ask people what they will be doing??).

I should re-title my post "system for burning movies".<sigh> Sorry, guys.

He just wants something that copies and burns FAST!!!

I can go budget with a e6300, 7300gt GPU and 1gb DDR2 667 ram and a sub-$100 nvidia mobo in the sonata case. I just need to know which is the fastest DVD burner.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
This is the absolute faster DVD burner in the market. If price is not an issue he shouldnt mind paying the premiun price.
I would also want to know what else he is planning on doing with the computer.
I can go budget with a e6300, 7300gt GPU and 1gb DDR2 667 ram and a sub-$100 nvidia mobo in the sonata case. I just need to know which is the fastest DVD burner.
Thats an idea of what you could get on a budget but if I can know what else hes planning on doing. Is he up for overclocking? what does he game? what else (anything helps) does he do on the comp? will he upgrade it down the road? Whats the budget??

Pinner73

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Being in the video production buisness DVD format is a P.I.T.A, I have noticed burning DVD's over 4X gives a very inconsistant playback on the VDV players out there, also combined with a bitrate over 4000kps gets pretty sketchy. My opinion would be to build him or even purchase a prebuilt duplicator that can do say 6 DVD's at a time at 4X for the best compatible playback.