A way to crack firewalls with my HPC/PDA?

January 24, 2005 11:03:22 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I tried the network browser with the new Resco File Explorer yesterday
for the HPC that I am testing. There are no changes. I still cannot
get into servers that have that firewall turned on with WindowsXP, but I
can get to them using the HPC explorer. This looks like a way to bypass
the firewall, since not even my Mac or PC laptop can acccess these
machines. You say, well Macs do not include the ability to connect to a
PC, well I say have you checked out Dave?

You say this is not the case since the HPC explorer uses the same
database as Resco, but explain why only HPC explorer can access these
machines shares, and nothing else can? The machines have shares, but
nothing can access these shares, expect when I manually type in the
//servername, and wham I am there!

PocketPC users should also try connecting to a machine with Resco that
has the firewall on with XP, and then with the explorer if you know what
I mean.

John
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 4:24:00 PM

John <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote:

> You say, well Macs do not include the ability to connect to a
> PC, well I say have you checked out Dave?

Dave is for Macs running old OS versions. Under Mac OS X, the ability
to connect to PCs is built right in.

--
Mike Rosenberg
<http://www.macconsult.com&gt; Macintosh consulting services for NE Florida

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In article <1gqwa9i.k6ll24rzg33gN%mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid>,
mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

> John <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > You say, well Macs do not include the ability to connect to a
> > PC, well I say have you checked out Dave?
>
> Dave is for Macs running old OS versions. Under Mac OS X, the ability
> to connect to PCs is built right in.

No Mike you do not understand. Dave is not just for pre OSX Macs. In
fact Dave for OSX is far more powerful than the built in support in OSX.
Do you not believe me? If so I can copy and paste information from
www.thursby.com.

You also failed to address my question.

John
January 24, 2005 7:22:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

John,

This is not a way to "crack" firewalls. It's simply that
one of the file browsers is using a mechanism that makes use
of proper, open ports and the other mechanism doesn't.

Why does this happen? Ask Resco... They've obviously
implemented their own SMB stuff.

Cheers,
Nick.
January 24, 2005 7:22:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In article <#8FTfDjAFHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
Nick L <chiark@gmail.com> wrote:

> John,
>
> This is not a way to "crack" firewalls. It's simply that
> one of the file browsers is using a mechanism that makes use
> of proper, open ports and the other mechanism doesn't.
>
> Why does this happen? Ask Resco... They've obviously
> implemented their own SMB stuff.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick.

Its not just Resco Nick, its also Dave and the Windows Network
neighborhood.

John
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 11:09:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

John <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > You say, well Macs do not include the ability to connect to a
> > > PC, well I say have you checked out Dave?
> >
> > Dave is for Macs running old OS versions. Under Mac OS X, the ability
> > to connect to PCs is built right in.
>
> No Mike you do not understand. Dave is not just for pre OSX Macs. In
> fact Dave for OSX is far more powerful than the built in support in OSX.
> Do you not believe me?

I believe you, but all you said was that Macs do not include the ability
to connect to a PC, which of course by itself is not true.

> You also failed to address my question.

Of course I didn't address it! Why would I, when I don't know anything
about that specific topic?

--
Mike Rosenberg
<http://www.macconsult.com&gt; Macintosh consulting services for NE Florida
<http://bogart-tribute.net&gt; Tribute to Humphrey Bogart
Toyota Prius fans: Check out alt.autos.toyota.prius
January 24, 2005 11:09:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In article <1gqwt5y.1a8tvbi4f3apmN%mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid>,
mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

> Of course I didn't address it! Why would I, when I don't know anything
> about that specific topic?

Then why do you post here if you are ignorant? Why not just sit back
and learn?

John
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 12:26:38 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Have you tried configuring a default gateway with IP to match L2TP IPSec
authentication. Worked for me with Resco Explorer. Just thought I'd butt in.
:)

"John" <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I tried the network browser with the new Resco File Explorer yesterday
> for the HPC that I am testing. There are no changes. I still cannot
> get into servers that have that firewall turned on with WindowsXP, but I
> can get to them using the HPC explorer. This looks like a way to bypass
> the firewall, since not even my Mac or PC laptop can acccess these
> machines. You say, well Macs do not include the ability to connect to a
> PC, well I say have you checked out Dave?
>
> You say this is not the case since the HPC explorer uses the same
> database as Resco, but explain why only HPC explorer can access these
> machines shares, and nothing else can? The machines have shares, but
> nothing can access these shares, expect when I manually type in the
> //servername, and wham I am there!
>
> PocketPC users should also try connecting to a machine with Resco that
> has the firewall on with XP, and then with the explorer if you know what
> I mean.
>
> John
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 7:23:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:41:00 -0800,
John (johnw_94020@yahoo.com) wrote:
> In article <1gqwt5y.1a8tvbi4f3apmN%mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid>,
> mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:
>

>> Of course I didn't address it! Why would I, when I don't know anything
>> about that specific topic?
>
> Then why do you post here if you are ignorant? Why not just sit back
> and learn?

Because he corrected an erroneous statement that you made. You
conveniently left that part of his response out.

Beverly
--
Many a smale maketh a grate -- Geoffrey Chaucer
Anonymous

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

John <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Of course I didn't address it! Why would I, when I don't know anything
> > about that specific topic?
>
> Then why do you post here if you are ignorant? Why not just sit back
> and learn?

I'm ignorant on that topic, as I said, which is why I did not post on
it. YOU brought up the topic of Macs and PC networking, YOU said
something that was incorrect, I corrected it. Is it your preference
that everyone here think that Macs running OS X cannot network with PCs
without paying for Dave?

--
Mike Rosenberg
<http://www.macconsult.com&gt; Macintosh consulting services for NE Florida
<http://bogart-tribute.net&gt; Tribute to Humphrey Bogart
Toyota Prius fans: Check out alt.autos.toyota.prius
January 25, 2005 5:28:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In article <1gqxrda.l7gilcww62tgN%mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid>,
mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

> John <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > Of course I didn't address it! Why would I, when I don't know anything
> > > about that specific topic?
> >
> > Then why do you post here if you are ignorant? Why not just sit back
> > and learn?
>
> I'm ignorant on that topic, as I said, which is why I did not post on
> it. YOU brought up the topic of Macs and PC networking, YOU said
> something that was incorrect, I corrected it. Is it your preference
> that everyone here think that Macs running OS X cannot network with PCs
> without paying for Dave?

They should buy dave. I've used OSX networking before and its a sorry
joke. OS9 networking is better. Why did Apple remove the chooser! Its
almost as if people with OSX should buy Dave because of the sad joke
that OSX is in regards to networking. Frankly when I used OSX to
network with 10.1,2 or whatever it was, my old OS 9 performa was faster.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 9:22:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

John <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote:

> They should buy dave. I've used OSX networking before and its a sorry
> joke. OS9 networking is better. Why did Apple remove the chooser! Its
> almost as if people with OSX should buy Dave because of the sad joke
> that OSX is in regards to networking. Frankly when I used OSX to
> network with 10.1,2 or whatever it was, my old OS 9 performa was faster.

If you want to discuss this, comp.sys.mac.system would be the
appropriate newsgroup. It's entirely off-topic here. Suffice it to say
that Mac OS X 10.1.2 is ancient history since we're up to 10.3.7 now,
and my clients who are networking with PCs from OS X are not having any
difficulties.

--
Mike Rosenberg
<http://www.macconsult.com&gt; Macintosh consulting services for NE Florida
<http://bogart-tribute.net&gt; Tribute to Humphrey Bogart
Toyota Prius fans: Check out alt.autos.toyota.prius
January 25, 2005 9:22:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In article <1gqyi3f.ssizk5kelrsyN%mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid>,
mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

> John <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > They should buy dave. I've used OSX networking before and its a sorry
> > joke. OS9 networking is better. Why did Apple remove the chooser! Its
> > almost as if people with OSX should buy Dave because of the sad joke
> > that OSX is in regards to networking. Frankly when I used OSX to
> > network with 10.1,2 or whatever it was, my old OS 9 performa was faster.
>
> If you want to discuss this, comp.sys.mac.system would be the
> appropriate newsgroup. It's entirely off-topic here. Suffice it to say
> that Mac OS X 10.1.2 is ancient history since we're up to 10.3.7 now,
> and my clients who are networking with PCs from OS X are not having any
> difficulties.

Then why did you bring it up? I only said one statement, but you just
had to correct it.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 9:25:21 PM

Mike Rosenberg <mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid> wrote:

> It's entirely off-topic here. Suffice it to say
> that Mac OS X 10.1.2 is ancient history since we're up to 10.3.7 now,
> and my clients who are networking with PCs from OS X are not having any
> difficulties.

It's as off-topic as it was when I posted a minute ago, but for
thoroughness sake, I need to add that all of my OS X - PC networking
experience is with 10.2.4 and later.

--
Mike Rosenberg
<http://www.macconsult.com&gt; Macintosh consulting services for NE Florida
<http://bogart-tribute.net&gt; Tribute to Humphrey Bogart
Toyota Prius fans: Check out alt.autos.toyota.prius
January 25, 2005 9:25:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In article <1gqyj3i.726695u301zuN%mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid>,
mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

> Mike Rosenberg <mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid> wrote:
>
> > It's entirely off-topic here. Suffice it to say
> > that Mac OS X 10.1.2 is ancient history since we're up to 10.3.7 now,
> > and my clients who are networking with PCs from OS X are not having any
> > difficulties.
>
> It's as off-topic as it was when I posted a minute ago, but for
> thoroughness sake, I need to add that all of my OS X - PC networking
> experience is with 10.2.4 and later.

Okay Mike.

Major differences between the two technologies...

Browsing - Apple's browser only works within a subnet and fails to
browse most larger networks. DAVE allows browsing throughout the
corporate network and supports the latest security implementations.

Security - DAVE supports NTLMv2 and SMB signing. This allows DAVE to
safely work with Microsoft's latest offerings such as Windows Server
2003 "out of the box". Since Panther does not implement this higher
level of security, the Windows Server 2003 administrator is required to
increase network vulnerability by downgrading the server's security
level.

Distributed File System (DFS) - Only DAVE supports this advanced Windows
feature. DFS is a method of transparently distributing the storage of
files across several servers while making it appear to the user that
they are all on the same server. This method is used to provide
redundancy of data and to allow for load balancing. Panther does not see
any of these files.

File Storage - DAVE takes full advantage of Microsoft's NTFS file system
and stores both forks of a traditional Mac file under a single file
name. This is identical to how Microsoft's Services for Mac (SFM) stores
these files and ensures compatibility between products. Panther, based
on its Unix roots, does not understand this more advanced file storage
technique and creates two files on the Windows machine for each Mac file
transferred. Panther's technique is proprietary to Apple and is not
supported by any other third party.

Sharing - DAVE as a server supports services for Microsoft's Services
for Mac (SFM) to ensure greater compatibility between all operating
systems. DAVE supports local, share and user level sharing for added
flexibility and you can share more than one folder or printer with drag
and drop simplicity.
January 25, 2005 9:40:45 PM

BTW, one does not "crack" a firewall. One "penetrates" a firewall.

Sheesh.

--
There are only two valid activities in this world:
personally attending to the injured and hungry,

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

> Its not just Resco Nick, its also Dave and the Windows Network
> neighborhood.

Some solutions are implementing the protocol correctly, using
the correct ports etc. Others are not. The clients which implement
the protocol correctly will be allowed access (assuming the
firewall is correctly configured).

This is not "cracking firewalls".
January 25, 2005 10:43:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In article <#qKXYYxAFHA.1452@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>,
Nick L <chiark@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Its not just Resco Nick, its also Dave and the Windows Network
> > neighborhood.
>
> Some solutions are implementing the protocol correctly, using
> the correct ports etc. Others are not. The clients which implement
> the protocol correctly will be allowed access (assuming the
> firewall is correctly configured).
>
> This is not "cracking firewalls".

My mistake. Thanks for correcting it.

John
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 5:20:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:28:39 -0800,
John (johnw_94020@yahoo.com) wrote:
> They should buy dave. I've used OSX networking before and its a sorry
> joke. OS9 networking is better. Why did Apple remove the chooser! Its
> almost as if people with OSX should buy Dave because of the sad joke
> that OSX is in regards to networking. Frankly when I used OSX to
> network with 10.1,2 or whatever it was, my old OS 9 performa was faster.

FWIW, the only thing that DAVE (not Dave) apparently provides is
domain logins and support for Windows 2003 server encryption. The rest
is pretty much irrelevant to anyone using OS X and networking to PCs.
And 10.1.2 has been superceded by two major releases of OS X (10.2
and 10.3), which have much better support for SMB. In fact, I don't
know anyone in my organization who needs DAVE.

To bring this back on topic. I have one HPC client connecting to the
SMB server running on 10.3 server.

Beverly
--
Many a smale maketh a grate -- Geoffrey Chaucer
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 5:21:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 18:19:37 -0800,
John (johnw_94020@yahoo.com) wrote:
> Then why did you bring it up? I only said one statement, but you just
> had to correct it.

Do you prefer that the readership of this group be provided incorrect
information?

Beverly
--
Many a smale maketh a grate -- Geoffrey Chaucer
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 5:35:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 18:24:02 -0800,
John (johnw_94020@yahoo.com) wrote:
> Okay Mike.
>
> Major differences between the two technologies...
>
> Browsing - Apple's browser only works within a subnet

Not true.

> Security - DAVE supports NTLMv2 and SMB signing. This allows DAVE to
> safely work with Microsoft's latest offerings such as Windows Server
> 2003 "out of the box".

True; but only useful if the organization uses 2003 server (we don't)

> Distributed File System (DFS)

Irrelevant. How many places do you know of that use DFS?

> File Storage - DAVE takes full advantage of Microsoft's NTFS file system
> and stores both forks of a traditional Mac file under a single file
> name.

Irrelevant, whether the file is accessed from a PC or a Mac. I'm
serious -- it really is irrelevant. We do cross-platform sharing
with _zero_ problems.

> Sharing - DAVE as a server supports services for Microsoft's Services
> for Mac (SFM) to ensure greater compatibility between all operating
> systems.

The SMB server provided with OS X works _extremely_ well with
Windows, Unix and Mac clients.

Beverly
--
Many a smale maketh a grate -- Geoffrey Chaucer
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 9:11:17 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Do you have a life outside of Newsgroups, creating aliases that look
like me, and such Mike?

> Is it your contention that you can write anything you want on any
topic
> here and that someone else is in the wrong for correcting your
> misstatements?
>
> I corrected it so that people reading it are not misinformed.
Someone
> in one of these groups may be thinking about buying a Mac and
connecting
> it to any existing Windows-only network. I want them to know that
they
> can fileshare between the Macs and PCs without spending the
additional
> $119 you insist they need to. They can also print to Windows
printers.
> --
> Mike Rosenberg
> <http://www.macconsult.com&gt; Macintosh consulting services for NE
Florida
> <http://bogart-tribute.net&gt; Tribute to Humphrey Bogart
> Toyota Prius fans: Check out alt.autos.toyota.prius
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 11:02:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

John <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Then why did you bring it up? I only said one statement, but you just
> had to correct it.

Is it your contention that you can write anything you want on any topic
here and that someone else is in the wrong for correcting your
misstatements?

I corrected it so that people reading it are not misinformed. Someone
in one of these groups may be thinking about buying a Mac and connecting
it to any existing Windows-only network. I want them to know that they
can fileshare between the Macs and PCs without spending the additional
$119 you insist they need to. They can also print to Windows printers.
--
Mike Rosenberg
<http://www.macconsult.com&gt; Macintosh consulting services for NE Florida
<http://bogart-tribute.net&gt; Tribute to Humphrey Bogart
Toyota Prius fans: Check out alt.autos.toyota.prius
January 26, 2005 1:59:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In article <1gqzkq9.fvyu4jiem59yN%mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid>,
mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

> John <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Then why did you bring it up? I only said one statement, but you just
> > had to correct it.
>
> Is it your contention that you can write anything you want on any topic
> here and that someone else is in the wrong for correcting your
> misstatements?
>
> I corrected it so that people reading it are not misinformed. Someone
> in one of these groups may be thinking about buying a Mac and connecting
> it to any existing Windows-only network. I want them to know that they
> can fileshare between the Macs and PCs without spending the additional
> $119 you insist they need to. They can also print to Windows printers.

Well Mike how many people here even care about Macs? Yes what I said
was not 100% correct, but it was correct about 50%. Not many are
micromanaging everythign I say, except people with problems.

John

PS- Spelling errors left for you to get your joy out of life and feel
fullfillaed for correcting m,e.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 6:09:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On 26 Jan 2005 06:11:17 -0800,
johnw_94020@yahoo.com (johnw_94020@yahoo.com) wrote:
> Do you have a life outside of Newsgroups, creating aliases that look
> like me, and such Mike?

John - crawl back into your hole to deal with your paranoia.
Mike has _never_ spoofed you or anyone else. The only person
whom we _know_ has spoofed several people is you, so don't
project your mental frailties or dubious netiquette on
anyone else.

Beverly
--
Many a smale maketh a grate -- Geoffrey Chaucer
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 9:37:37 PM

<johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Do you have a life outside of Newsgroups, creating aliases that look
> like me, and such Mike?

I've never created an alias that looks like you.

--
Mike Rosenberg
<http://www.macconsult.com&gt; Macintosh consulting services for NE Florida
<http://bogart-tribute.net&gt; Tribute to Humphrey Bogart
Toyota Prius fans: Check out alt.autos.toyota.prius
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 9:37:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

John <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Well Mike how many people here even care about Macs?

I have no idea, but you're the one who brought up the topic.

> Yes what I said
> was not 100% correct, but it was correct about 50%.

All I did was point out, for anyone who's interested, that a Mac running
OS X can network with PCs without an additional purchase. Why does it
bother you that people know that?

--
Mike Rosenberg
<http://www.macconsult.com&gt; Macintosh consulting services for NE Florida
<http://bogart-tribute.net&gt; Tribute to Humphrey Bogart
Toyota Prius fans: Check out alt.autos.toyota.prius
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 11:13:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:59:43 -0800,
John (johnw_94020@yahoo.com) wrote:

> Yes what I said
> was not 100% correct, but it was correct about 50%.

Try 0%.

--
Many a smale maketh a grate -- Geoffrey Chaucer
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 11:13:02 PM

Bev A. Kupf <bevakupf@myhome.net> wrote:

> > Yes what I said
> > was not 100% correct, but it was correct about 50%.
>
> Try 0%.

In all fairness, I think his initial statement was 50% correct. For OS
8.6-9.x, he was right that you do need something like Dave. Of course,
that's irrelevant for anyone who's thinking of buying a new Mac.

--
!