Can't get Windows Explorer search to work

tombear

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
Hello,
I have downloaded and unzipped a set of C project files from a Google code repository into a folder on my PC so that I can study the code. I would like to use search so that I can find the files where particular variables are used.
In windows explorer, I browse to the folder at the top of the tree, and then in the search box I type a variable name that I know exists in one of the files. Search always comes back with "No items match your search".
In Folder and search options I have checked 'always search filenames and contents'
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks

zerrith

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
It doesn't work that way. You can add search filters but they are of limited use. For example, in a library optimized for general use, the search filters are authors, type, modified date and size. The search doesn't actually search the contents of the file; it searches the details of the file: tags, size, author, type etc.

Windows Search walkthrough

tombear

Distinguished
May 31, 2011

Umm, that's not correct. As described in the guide that you linked to, Search in Windows explorer does find words within files. I followed their example and found a file containing the work 'bracket' successfully (in a .docx file).

So now I am thinking what's different about code files? I suspect there is a list of file types somewhere to be included/excluded from Windows search, and that is what is blocking me from searching the code folders.
Any ideas?

Thanks

tombear

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
Further experiments show that Windows Explorer Search, as currently configured on my machine, searches the contents and filenames of .docx files, but only searches the filenames of .h files. This explains why I'm not finding what I want.
So, where is the place to configure that I want full search of C program files etc?
Thanks

zerrith

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
Umm, that's not correct. As described in the guide that you linked to, Search in Windows explorer does find words within files. I followed their example and found a file containing the work 'bracket' successfully (in a .docx file).

That's what I get for trying to help after a 12 hour shift :pt1cable:

I found this link and tried it with a bogus file extension I created with notepad. After changing these settings it rebuilds the index which can take a long while. Let me know if this works for you.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Windows-7-Search-File-Contents