"New build" input needed

Pinner73

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Just received all my parts for a new build for my digi editing system, and just about to start to assembly. Just looking for feedback on the parts good or bad, or if anyone has a similar system how its been working for them. Keep in mind that the system is used for NLE editing and production, so I didnt need to go overkill on the video card. Thanks

CPU - Intel E6700
MB - Asus P5W DH
RAM - 4 Gig OCZ DDR2 PC2-5400 667MHz EL Gold Edition
HDD - 2 X Seagate 320 Gig "RAID O"
Case - Antec P180
PSU - Thermaltake ToughPower 750W
HSF - Zalman CNPS7700-Cu
Monitor - Samsung 205BW LCD
Video card - Asus 7600GT
Burner - 2 X LG GSA10N
Speakers - M Audio Studio monitors
OS - XP Pro

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Everything looks good. Don't see any compatibility issue. So have fun with your build. We are all here if you have any questions along the way.

Seconded. You know what youre doing and you should have some serious fun overclocking!

I see 3 issues with this:

1. A 750W power supply is overkill. You could have easily gotten away with a 450W supply.

2. 4GB of ram is going to hurt performance unless you're running XP x64 edition. 32 bit OS'es don't handle 4GB very well.

3. This is just a personal preference, but I would have gone for the E6600. You could have overclocked it to the clock of the E6700, gotten better performance than with an E6700 at stock, and saved yourself about $150 or so in the process.

mainyard

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
hey, nice build mate, i wish i had the money to do that.
only thing i would have changed is that ram, youve got 667 ram when you could have bought corsair 800 c4. that would allow more overclockability

Robovski

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
I see 3 issues with this:

1. A 750W power supply is overkill. You could have easily gotten away with a 450W supply.

2. 4GB of ram is going to hurt performance unless you're running XP x64 edition. 32 bit OS'es don't handle 4GB very well.

3. This is just a personal preference, but I would have gone for the E6600. You could have overclocked it to the clock of the E6700, gotten better performance than with an E6700 at stock, and saved yourself about $150 or so in the process.

I agree with the last 2 points, but I'll defend the OP and say that the PSU gives a nice future-resistance. It's more than I would have bought but not all that much more. Should the supply live 3 years he'll probably be using that overhead.

I can't agree enough about the RAM though - I went from 1 GB to 4 and noticed a slowdown in windows performance. When I took out 2 of the 1GB sims and droopped in the old 512MB pair (making 3GB) I got my performance back and then some. So I'll be using them when I demote the current PC to Wife servitude and take the 3GBs to the new machine until I'm ready to buy some performance RAM (currently my RAM is 533, I'll be wanting some 800 for the new machine, probably after the Christmas memory hump is past).

Pinner73

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Thanks guys for the the input on the system, I never thaught that ram could slow down a system but anything is possible, my reason for going to 4 gig is that I do alot of work in Adobe After Effects 7 which is really heavy on ram, especilly when doing RAM previews. I was also going to go with the same PSU but in a 550w but since I lucked out and built this system at just over the stores cost it wasnt much more to go to the 750w so I just went for it. Thanks for all the input I will try to post some pics when its all bolted up and add some benchmarks.

pauljuno

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
HDD - 2 X Seagate 320 Gig "RAID O"

I think my big concern on this build is the RAID 0 option. Normally I see this option for gamers and others who are concerned primarily with performance. I love it, but would emphasize the need for backing up your data. If you lose 1 drive, you effectively lose both. Just my thoughts.

Pinner73

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Hey pauljuno, I know that some time ago raid 0 was iffy but I have ran RAID 0 for the last 4 years on all my editing and graphics stations and not once had a problem with it or ever lost any data. But I always have the raw footage and a external that I keep footage backed up on but never had to use it.