Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Resolution in windows 7 vs windows XP

Last response: in Windows 7
May 31, 2011 8:36:08 AM

Hi All,

Does anyone miss the screen resolution in Windows XP or am I the only one?

In WindowsXP when you went to higher resolutions everything got smaller and you could see a lot more for example in IE, Icons got smaller, Buttons got smaller, even the menu bar text was in much more smaller DPI and that's why you could fit a lot more on your screen than in windows 7.

I wonder if this is applicable in Win7 too or do we have to do with buttons as big as my head :o  (by the way my head is much bigger than that of an average person's), and menu text's bigger than my toe's?
Is it possible to go to smaller DPI's than windows allows, e.g. via registry?

thanks every one. :love: 
a b $ Windows 7
May 31, 2011 10:24:42 AM

Its all there, go to screen resolution and read.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 31, 2011 10:36:45 AM

here is what your looking for (its to select a custom dpi setting,there is actually a gui to do it. but it seems it is quite well hidden)

simply go to Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Display

more info in link below

http://superuser.com/questions/80151/how-to-setup-custo...

folang, you can only select three sizes in screen resolution if you look at it (originally i thought same as you but then i googled it)
m
l
Related resources
May 31, 2011 12:53:40 PM

thank you all for your replies,

But this is not what I meant, I think anyone who uses pc knows how to adjust the resolution or change the dpi settings, if you've got a WinXP system somewhere (specially with a CRT monitor) that you can check out, try to compare the sizes of the objects in both systems at the same resolutions, everything in WinXP is smaller, the mouse pointer, the (Forward and Backward) buttons of IE, the text of the menu bars etc..... thats why you could fit a lot more on your screen than with Win7.

anyways, thanks for replying in advance
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
May 31, 2011 2:35:51 PM

sho, dosnt the size of the text and everything depend on the size of your moniter

people have bigger screen's now so you dont really notice it

for example im using a 26" lcd tv i believe

it's true at first i perferd the look of xp but now after using it for more than a year i dont think ill ever go back to xp even though in someways it was more sleek
June 1, 2011 1:05:12 PM

Best answer selected by shomanadeh.
m
l
!