SD card that won't format under windows. Solution.

January 24, 2005 10:35:52 PM

I'm posting this so that finding it may solve someone else's problem. I
worked this out by myself.

My son wished to install a medical programme which needs a 1 megabyte SD
chip on his HP pocket PC. I bought the chip, but the installation could not
complete.
I tried formatting the SD card on a card reader in Windows XP. It would not
complete. I formatted it in his Nikon Digital camera, but the installation
of the programme would not complete on that. I downloaded an SD formatting
programme from the Web and that would not work.

Sez I to myself...
The Pocket PC must be able to format it. Looked for formatting utility.
Could not find it.

Sez I to myself then, maybe it does it unseen if necessary.

Did backup to SD card. No problem.
Put card in card readed. Deleted backup file.
Installed programme. No problem.

The Pocket PC will format the thing if you backup to it.

Very useful information.

If you've come across this, say thanks!!!
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 10:35:53 PM

"gearoidmuar" <glee@iol.ie> wrote in message
> I'm posting this so that finding it may solve someone else's problem. I
> worked this out by myself.
>
> My son wished to install a medical programme which needs a 1 megabyte SD
> chip on his HP pocket PC. I bought the chip, but the installation could
not
> complete.
> I tried formatting the SD card on a card reader in Windows XP. It would
not
> complete. I formatted it in his Nikon Digital camera, but the installation
> of the programme would not complete on that. I downloaded an SD formatting
> programme from the Web and that would not work.
>
> Sez I to myself...
> The Pocket PC must be able to format it. Looked for formatting utility.
> Could not find it.
>
> Sez I to myself then, maybe it does it unseen if necessary.
>
> Did backup to SD card. No problem.
> Put card in card readed. Deleted backup file.
> Installed programme. No problem.
>
> The Pocket PC will format the thing if you backup to it.
>
> Very useful information.
>
> If you've come across this, say thanks!!!

Thanks for the info! I'd been having problems with a 128 MB CF card I use
in my digital camera - the power failed during a write operation, and none
of my PCs were able to format it. Threw it in my MobilePro 880 after
reading this, and it formatted perfectly. :)

--Jason
January 25, 2005 1:33:44 PM

gearoidmuar wrote:

> I'm posting this so that finding it may solve someone else's problem. I
> worked this out by myself.
>
> My son wished to install a medical programme which needs a 1 megabyte SD
> chip on his HP pocket PC. I bought the chip, but the installation could not
> complete.
> I tried formatting the SD card on a card reader in Windows XP. It would not
> complete. I formatted it in his Nikon Digital camera, but the installation
> of the programme would not complete on that. I downloaded an SD formatting
> programme from the Web and that would not work.
>
> Sez I to myself...
> The Pocket PC must be able to format it. Looked for formatting utility.
> Could not find it.
>
> Sez I to myself then, maybe it does it unseen if necessary.
>
> Did backup to SD card. No problem.
> Put card in card readed. Deleted backup file.
> Installed programme. No problem.
>
> The Pocket PC will format the thing if you backup to it.
>
> Very useful information.
>
> If you've come across this, say thanks!!!

Did you try running a disk checker under windows first? That helps
often, if not I've found my Mac's disk utilities program has been very
helpful when I've hard card errors. I once "experimented" with a
defragging program on my PPC, and it crashed and left a load of random
files on my 512MB MMC card, and all my data was gone! Got it all back
using Scan-disk in Windows XP.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.