Taskbar / desktop problems

November 18, 2004 8:27:49 PM

I couldn't believe this at first, but...

If I position the taskbar along the right edge of the screen, it shrinks on
every reboot in spite of being locked. Moreover, when I unlock it, resize it
to its previous size, and lock it again, the icons on the desktop get
"rearranged". Is this another one of Microsofts "inventions"? I mean,
_how_hard_ is it to remember location and size of a particular window (in
this case the taksbar)?

Is there any solution to this problem that doesn't require being Microsoft
certified <something>?
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 8:27:50 PM

"Luke Tulkas" <luke_tulkas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I couldn't believe this at first, but...
>
> If I position the taskbar along the right edge of the screen, it shrinks
on
> every reboot in spite of being locked. Moreover, when I unlock it, resize
it
> to its previous size, and lock it again, the icons on the desktop get
> "rearranged". Is this another one of Microsofts "inventions"? I mean,
> _how_hard_ is it to remember location and size of a particular window (in
> this case the taksbar)?
>
> Is there any solution to this problem that doesn't require being Microsoft
> certified <something>?

Did you install anything just before this started. If so, it may be the
culprit.

Malv
Anonymous
November 19, 2004 1:43:53 AM

Hey there ... If you like , have a look at this website

"Luke Tulkas" <luke_tulkas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I couldn't believe this at first, but...
>
> If I position the taskbar along the right edge of the screen, it shrinks
> on every reboot in spite of being locked. Moreover, when I unlock it,
> resize it to its previous size, and lock it again, the icons on the
> desktop get "rearranged". Is this another one of Microsofts "inventions"?
> I mean, _how_hard_ is it to remember location and size of a particular
> window (in this case the taksbar)?
>
> Is there any solution to this problem that doesn't require being Microsoft
> certified <something>?

November 19, 2004 1:52:18 PM

"Malvern" <thisis@fak> wrote in message
> "Luke Tulkas" <luke_tulkas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I couldn't believe this at first, but...
>>
>> If I position the taskbar along the right edge of the screen, it shrinks
> on
>> every reboot in spite of being locked. Moreover, when I unlock it, resize
> it
>> to its previous size, and lock it again, the icons on the desktop get
>> "rearranged". Is this another one of Microsofts "inventions"? I mean,
>> _how_hard_ is it to remember location and size of a particular window (in
>> this case the taksbar)?
>>
>> Is there any solution to this problem that doesn't require being
>> Microsoft
>> certified <something>?
>>

> Did you install anything just before this started. If so, it may be the
> culprit.

Nope. Just moved the taskbar.
Anonymous
November 19, 2004 1:58:08 PM

"Road Runner" <beepbeep@9y.com> wrote in message
> Hey there ... If you like , have a look at this website

Thanks for the info. The
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/taskbarlock.... link says I
should mess with the registry. The first key/value is there, the second
isn't. Is this really what's needed? Hand-editing the registry so that you
get normal behaviour? Hm...

I also found this link:
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP...
So I guess that means I'm not the only one with this problem. Unfortunately
they have a costly pay plan. I don't think I'm prepared to pay for something
that should have been there in the first place.
!