Taskbar / desktop problems

I couldn't believe this at first, but...

If I position the taskbar along the right edge of the screen, it shrinks on
every reboot in spite of being locked. Moreover, when I unlock it, resize it
to its previous size, and lock it again, the icons on the desktop get
"rearranged". Is this another one of Microsofts "inventions"? I mean,
_how_hard_ is it to remember location and size of a particular window (in
this case the taksbar)?

Is there any solution to this problem that doesn't require being Microsoft
certified <something>?
4 answers Last reply
More about taskbar desktop problems

    "Luke Tulkas" <luke_tulkas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I couldn't believe this at first, but...
    >
    > If I position the taskbar along the right edge of the screen, it shrinks
    on
    > every reboot in spite of being locked. Moreover, when I unlock it, resize
    it
    > to its previous size, and lock it again, the icons on the desktop get
    > "rearranged". Is this another one of Microsofts "inventions"? I mean,
    > _how_hard_ is it to remember location and size of a particular window (in
    > this case the taksbar)?
    >
    > Is there any solution to this problem that doesn't require being Microsoft
    > certified <something>?

    Did you install anything just before this started. If so, it may be the
    culprit.

    Malv

    Hey there ... If you like , have a look at this website

    "Malvern" <thisis@fak> wrote in message
    > "Luke Tulkas" <luke_tulkas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I couldn't believe this at first, but...
    >>
    >> If I position the taskbar along the right edge of the screen, it shrinks
    > on
    >> every reboot in spite of being locked. Moreover, when I unlock it, resize
    > it
    >> to its previous size, and lock it again, the icons on the desktop get
    >> "rearranged". Is this another one of Microsofts "inventions"? I mean,
    >> _how_hard_ is it to remember location and size of a particular window (in
    >> this case the taksbar)?
    >>
    >> Is there any solution to this problem that doesn't require being
    >> Microsoft
    >> certified <something>?
    >>

    > Did you install anything just before this started. If so, it may be the
    > culprit.

    Nope. Just moved the taskbar.

    "Road Runner" <beepbeep@9y.com> wrote in message
    > Hey there ... If you like , have a look at this website

    Thanks for the info. The
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/taskbarlock.reg link says I
    should mess with the registry. The first key/value is there, the second
    isn't. Is this really what's needed? Hand-editing the registry so that you
    get normal behaviour? Hm...

    I also found this link:
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_20427451.html
    So I guess that means I'm not the only one with this problem. Unfortunately
    they have a costly pay plan. I don't think I'm prepared to pay for something
    that should have been there in the first place.

Taskbar Desktops Microsoft Windows XP