Sign in with
Your question

Running Dual Channel Memory.... System Freeze...Help Please!

Last response: in Memory
September 28, 2006 2:22:09 AM

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum cuz I need some technical help and I've noticed that frequent site visitors know what they are talking about..... well except for those that just say... "bad memory dude." Thanks.

I currently purchased a Crucial Technology 1GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) notebook memory module (CT12864AC667) for my Lenovo Thinkpad T60p (Type 2007) notebook. I already had 1gb installed with the purchase of the notebook, so I have a total of 2gb running in dual channel mode. I contacted Crucial online regarding the model number and they confirmed that it is completely compatible.

The following is the issue that I am encountering. Whenever I play some video files, the system freezes and I have to manually shut it down by holding the power button. This only happens when I am using both of the memory modules. I have two memory slots. I tried using the Crucial memory module alone in both slots and the system DOES NOT freeze, same for my Lenovo memory module. However, when I use both modules in either slots, the system freezes. I also ran the program Memtest86 3.2 for 20 hours and it did not report any errors. I do not know what the problem might be. Thanks for the advice again.... and plz post asap cuz I have about 10 days left before I can return the memory for a refund.
September 28, 2006 11:25:00 PM

Quote:
I currently purchased a Crucial Technology 1GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) notebook memory module (CT12864AC667) for my Lenovo Thinkpad T60p (Type 2007) notebook. I already had 1gb installed with the purchase of the notebook, so I have a total of 2gb running in dual channel mode.

1) Are you sure your system is running in dual channel mode? If you haven't tried PC Wizard 2006, it's easy to use and pretty clear (see http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam... ).
2) Although the memory module you bought is the same capacity as the one that came w/your notebook, it is not identical. The differences may be enough to prevent dual channel mode from working properly.
3) However, I'd also suspect a problem in the video driver. Have you tried downloding the latest video drivers for your computer?

Quote:
... I also ran the program Memtest86 3.2 for 20 hours and it did not report any errors....

Try downloading PRIME95 and running that in "stress test" mode.
September 29, 2006 6:03:23 AM

Yes I am sure the system is running in dual channel mode and I have installed the most recent drivers for all my hardware (Video, BIOS,...). After reading a few other forums here, it seems that people fixed this problem by switching back to an earlier BIOS version, 1.04 for their T60 notebook. This problem seems to appear only when two 1gb modules are used. If anyone can confirm that it might be a BIOS problem/motherboard, let me know. In the meantime, I'll try to switch to the earlier BIOS version 1.04 and see what happens. I believe mine is 1.09 at the moment. Thanks.
Related resources
September 29, 2006 6:47:41 AM

I'd run PRIME95 first before messing with an earlier BIOS rev.
September 29, 2006 7:09:53 AM

Quote:
Hi,

This is my first post on this forum cuz I need some technical help and I've noticed that frequent site visitors know what they are talking about..... well except for those that just say... "bad memory dude." Thanks.

I currently purchased a Crucial Technology 1GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) notebook memory module (CT12864AC667) for my Lenovo Thinkpad T60p (Type 2007) notebook. I already had 1gb installed with the purchase of the notebook, so I have a total of 2gb running in dual channel mode. I contacted Crucial online regarding the model number and they confirmed that it is completely compatible.

The following is the issue that I am encountering. Whenever I play some video files, the system freezes and I have to manually shut it down by holding the power button. This only happens when I am using both of the memory modules. I have two memory slots. I tried using the Crucial memory module alone in both slots and the system DOES NOT freeze, same for my Lenovo memory module. However, when I use both modules in either slots, the system freezes. I also ran the program Memtest86 3.2 for 20 hours and it did not report any errors. I do not know what the problem might be. Thanks for the advice again.... and plz post asap cuz I have about 10 days left before I can return the memory for a refund.

Hello

I think you have to let go one of them. Your new module can be fully comptatible with your motherboard, but it might not work side by side with your old ram. If money is not a problem , i would take out old memory stick and add another new stick to match your new memory.

Good luck.
September 29, 2006 5:37:32 PM

The earlier BIOS version didn't fix the problem. I'll try PRIME95 now and to htoonthura, money is a problem, I'm a college student.... kinda of on low budget after the notebook purchase. So I'm trying to be certain what the issue is. I called IBM/Lenovo and they want me to send in my laptop for them to repair/replace the motherboard. Being with a system for a week might be difficult so I'm trying to avoid that if that's not the problem. Thanks again guys.
September 29, 2006 6:34:22 PM

I personally think its the Crucial Memory. I have had nothing but trouble with their memory sets lately both 512MB paired modules and 256MB paired modules for my desk top.

It was so bad...I couldn't even reload my OS, because the memory kept blue screening my system

One I got some "value" Viking memory...my problems went away.

Try a different brand or a generic module from another system. It would be interesting to see if you shill have issues.
!