mastertrancer

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Hi, as you can see I'm new to the forum. My question may seem fairly basic, but I'm unsure as to what to do, so I need your input. I have a server at home that currently has an Intel XEON 3.4GHz processor installed. It has the capacity for a second one, which I already have. My question is when install the second CPU do I need to use a thermal compound or can I get away without having to use it? :D

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
What, do you mean that you have a dual-socket board? All modern CPUs require some type of thermal compund/pad. Without it, the CPU will throttle as soon as you turn it on.

jjw

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Do some research, I know the 'older' Xeon's needed to use a thermal pad instead of just some artic silver or similar. This is because they have a larger heat spreader.

I don't think this may be applicable to your processor, the 3.4 GHz are relatively new.

Thermal pad/compound is a must!

mastertrancer

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I'm fairly proficient with computers, but as yet I haven't built one from scratch nor have I installed a component like a CPU. So I did a search on Google. Now on some sites there was no mention of using a thermal paste, but on others there was. That's why I'm confused, but thanks to your replies I now know that I need to apply it. Many thanks for your responses guys. :oops:

jjw

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
If you didn't see already, some heatsinks come with a pre-applied thermal pad or paste. It is usually grayish silver on the stock intel heatsinks.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
The only way you could get away from not using compound, is lapping the HSF, and the heatspreader on top of the CPU.

I believe it will run with a HSF without thermal compound, but expect high temps, and even lockups when the system tries to access the other CPU, or throttling.

Edit:

I also should say, it's pretty much illadvised to not use thermal compound.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
CPU - thermal compound = Fried CPU
CPU + thermal compound = Happy CPU

NEVER run a CPU without some sort of thermal grease between it and the heatsink.

Arctic Silver is widely considered to be the best thermal compound; look on their WEBSITE for instructions.