IDE HD Problem, P5W DH Deluxe

gators81

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
Hi all,

I am using the Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard. I have my WD Raptor 150GB HD running fine as SATA, but I am trying to get my IDE HD's hooked up.

I am connecting the HD's to the black JMicron IDE connector. (I tried using them on the blue, then neither the HD or my DVD burners worked.)

I am trying to use a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB ATA 133 HDD. I have tried setting the jumpers as master, slave, and cable select, and tried using both positions on the IDE cable (tried other IDE cables). I know the HDD works because I can put it back in my other computer, and it works fine there.

I can look in the BIOS and it recognized the HDD there if I look at boot devices, and hard drives. However on the main page that shows primary and slave devices it does not appear. (Only showing my one SATA HD?? and my two IDE optical drives.)

When I go into My Computer in Windows, I see the drive, however it doesn't show a total space or free space category. If I try to open the drive, it pops up a message about the drive not being formatted, and asks me if I want to format. I try to format (using either the long, where it runs for hours and then messes up, or the quick) and it will pop up with; "Logical Disk Manager: The format did not complete succesfully."

If I look in Device Manager, I see MAXTOR 6 L080L 4 SCSI Disk Drive which seems wrong because I didn't think it was SCSI.

If I look in the Computer Management program in Disk Management I see the correct capacity, free space, and the status says Healthy (Active), however I can not format the drive there.

I have tried calling the ASUS technical support, but I wait on hold for 5-10 minutes, then somebody answers asking to take my number and saying they would call me back. I have called 3 times in the last week, and they have yet to call me back. I told one of the people this and asked to wait on the line, and I stayed on the line for over an hour with no answer. So it doesn't appear they offer any kind of technical support.

Does anybody have any ideas on what the problem might be? I know the manual says the JMicron IDE connector won't work with ATAPI drives, but I don't think that is what I have.

I also notice a weird JMicron Raid Configurer program that is starting in the taskbar with my computer, but it doesn't show any information. I don't want to use these HD's as a RAID, just regular ones.

Thanks for any help.

sesdave

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
I have just finished building a setup with the P5W - DH deluxe and a e6600 and found excatly the same problem. The Jmicron IDE would not recognise my Maxtor diamond plus 9 HDD nor my Nec 4570a DVD no matter how I connected them on this controller. After much messing about I found that by setting Jmicron SATA/RAID bootrom = disabled in the Onboard Devices Configuration section of the bios I got the DVD to work. I am running with BIOS 1407 . Havent tested with the HDD but assume it will work - I have left it t on the other IDE connection and my SATA drive on SATA1 port. This caused the Jmicron raid driver to give an error on windows startup but I just disable that from starting - not needed as I am not running Raid on it. Will look into the cause and post when I find it but its doesnt impact. Give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

Ante79

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
Hi,
I am having similar issues with the Ide port, I have tried 4 brand new dvd burners from different manufacturer's two Pioneer's a Lite-on and Sony. When I load any kind of cd or dvd I get an error message stating: The application has failed to initialize (0xc0000006). Click OK to cancel.
I found out that an old crappy lite-on dvd burner from 2004 works but all the new ones come up with the same error message.
Do you guys have any suggestions, bear in mind that I have made sure that the Primary Ide is set to master, checked all the drives jumpers and tried all the drives in an external case plugged into usb, and all the drives work fine!!!!!.