Sign in with
Your question

ADVICE PLEASE?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 28, 2006 9:23:36 AM

allright well when my new graphics card gets here im going to have to install it obviously.
what i need to know is what is better. to connect it to my AGP slot or
PCI. right now i have an integrated SiS chip which is shit so thats why im getting a new ATI shapphire radeon 9250. so what do you guys think i should do AGP or PCI

More about : advice

September 28, 2006 10:12:34 AM

AGP is dedicated to graphics cards, so if you have an AGP port, use it. PCI isn't really used anymore for graphics cards.

anyway, if you bought an agp card, it won't fit into a PCI slot
September 28, 2006 10:33:20 AM

Well, if you have an AGP slot, use it. There are better choices than a 9250 for AGP.
Related resources
September 28, 2006 10:40:21 AM

ya well the 9250 only cost me 30£s and also it says in the inof that it works in AGP 8x/4x or ICP bus but if you say AGP is the way to go then that i will do.
September 28, 2006 11:49:57 AM

AGP and PCI are not pin-compatible. There will be versions of the same card which work in AGP and versions which work in PCI. If you've got an AGP card, put it in the AGP slot. If you've got a PCI card, put it in the PCI slot.

Finally, pray you've got an AGP card.
September 28, 2006 11:55:05 AM

well sir i did get an agp card and i do have an agp slot so it dont matter but look at this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SAPPHIRE-RADEON-9250-AGP-128MB-GR...

copy paste that then scroll down to the features and there it says supports both AGP or PCI bus i could be wrong but just going on what it says. no matter i,ll put it in the Agp first anyways
September 28, 2006 12:01:52 PM

That is promotional material directly lifted from Sapphire's site.

There will be multiple versions of this card. Some are PCI and some are AGP.

If you've got an AGP one that's fine.
September 28, 2006 12:03:56 PM

K sweet i,l ltake your word for it mayte
im not the best at this shit anyways
and just so i know agp slot is brown correct?
September 28, 2006 12:14:23 PM

Usually brown - but can theoretically be any colour.

Generally safe to assume brown, though.
September 28, 2006 12:17:16 PM

well im pretty sure it is only slots on the board are the 3 pcis
2 long black ones forget the name of them and the one brown slot
a b U Graphics card
September 28, 2006 12:27:27 PM

Don't worry about putting in the wrong slot. An AGP card will only fit into an AGP slot, and a PCI card will only fit into a PCI slot, unless you really force it, you would have to physically damage the card to make it go into the wrong slot.
September 28, 2006 12:31:45 PM

hahaha allright mayte thanks alot now all i need to do is wait and then
BOOM HEADSHOT!! lol >.> sorri im itching to play counterstrike again.
and jsut for a second opinion
how do i turn off my integrated chip ? so that the new card im getting takes over the display?
September 28, 2006 12:35:55 PM

You'll need to go into the BIOS and tell it to use external graphics rather than integrated.
September 28, 2006 12:39:06 PM

oh allright see i was told to first plug in the new card
start up go into the bios turn off the onboard video
then go into windows everything would look funnt till i install the drivers fro mthe disk that comes with the card. after its all installed i can just switch back the display settings to the way i wanted them.
September 28, 2006 12:41:46 PM

That sounds about right, yes.
September 28, 2006 12:42:03 PM

integrated graphics cards can normally be disabled in the computer's bios.

to enter the bios, you have to press a key during startup. most computers show "Press ?? key to enter setup" when you turn them on.

once you're in the bios, look for "onboard graphics" or something like that, and set it to "disabled"
September 28, 2006 12:52:54 PM

soo befor anything i plus in the card start up go into the bios disable this onboard or integrated graphics w/e it may be then go into windows install the drivers . then do i restart the pc? and put my display settings the way i want or just put them the way i want?
September 28, 2006 12:59:43 PM

No.

Plug in the card.
Turn on the computer.
Go to the BIOS.
Turn on the card.
Reboot the computer.
Check that video is coming through the card, not the integrated graphics.
Wait for Windows to boot.
Once it has done, install the drivers that came with the card.
Reboot Windows.
Set the computer to the right resolution etc.
Go to www.ati.com and download the latest drivers.
Install these drivers.
Reboot Windows.
September 28, 2006 1:04:24 PM

kk when i plug in the card at the start do i connect the moniter to it right away or turn it on first?
also how do i turn the card on by disabling the onboard/integrated one?
so im not to smart at this shit first time i,v had to deal with it.
September 28, 2006 1:48:49 PM

OK;

Plug in the card.
Make sure monitor is plugged into integrated graphics.
Turn on the computer.
Go to the BIOS.
Turn on the card and turn off the integrated graphics.
Reboot the computer.
Plug the monitor into the card.
Check that video is coming through the card, not the integrated graphics.
Wait for Windows to boot.
Once it has done, install the drivers that came with the card.
Reboot Windows.
Set the computer to the right resolution etc.
Go to www.ati.com and download the latest drivers.
Install these drivers.
Reboot Windows.
September 28, 2006 2:45:45 PM

I wouldn't pay £30 for a 9250; I payed £10 for a 9200 and that was 2 years ago.
September 28, 2006 3:45:16 PM

allright thanks alot man been tons of help :) 
and as for mister i payed 10£ for a 9200 i dont really give a fuck i think its a sweet card the features kick ass and liek i said all i need it for really is the directx9 anything is better then what i got now so thats all that matters.
September 28, 2006 3:51:52 PM

>DirectX 9

Sadly, whilst the 9250 supports DX9 it's not *really* fast enough to use any of DX9's features.

Still, if it's better than what you've got now, you can't really complain!
September 28, 2006 3:56:09 PM

all i really want to know is will i be able to play counterstrike source and DoD with easyness that card supports 8.1 and 9 directx
these r the features it has

128MB of 400MHz DDR memory accelerates the latest cutting edge 3D applications
Available in both a 128-bit and 64-bit memory data path interface
ATI RADEON™ 9250 VPU operating at 240 MHz
Supports the AGP 8X and AGP 4x standard or PCI Bus, providing a high-speed link between the graphics card and the rest of the PC
Four pixel shader pipeline
Full support for Microsoft® DirectX® 8.1 and DX9 compliance and the latest OpenGL® functionality
SMARTSHADER™ technology
VIDEO IMMERSION™ and FULLSTREAM™ technologies which provide for amazing video playback quality.
Integrated DV support for Flat Panel displays
Powered by CATALYST™ - The industry's most stable unified graphics software
September 28, 2006 3:59:15 PM

Almost certainly not, sadly.

You may be able to play at a sensible speed in 640x480 - possibly if you're *really* lucky in 800x600. Nothing higher than that, not with a 9250.
September 28, 2006 4:04:42 PM

well i guess i,ll have to wait and see wont i
i have a good feeling it will play well if the one i got now looks good but has just medium lag
then this one should do the trick seeing has it has 8.1 and 9 supportings
September 28, 2006 4:07:37 PM

Quote:
allright thanks alot man been tons of help :) 
and as for mister i payed 10£ for a 9200 i dont really give a **** i think its a sweet card the features kick ass and liek i said all i need it for really is the directx9 anything is better then what i got now so thats all that matters.

Sorry man, mesa's right. That card's not worth the price you paid.
September 28, 2006 4:11:42 PM

ATI make the chip. They also make some cards. Sapphire makes cards, using ATI's chip.

The cards will perform identically (or as near as dammit to identically).
September 28, 2006 4:34:09 PM

The fact that PC World sells that card for only £4 more than you are going to pay for it should really tell you something. For you Americans who don't have PC World, they sell USB cables for £20 (1.8m), to put it in perspective.

Oh, and....

Quote:
and as for mister i payed 10£ for a 9200 i dont really give a **** i think its a sweet card the features kick ass and liek i said all i need it for really is the directx9 anything is better then what i got now so thats all that matters.

Your topic is titles 'ADVICE PLEASE'. Don't ask for input and then have a go when you don't like it. £15 is the most you should be paying these days for an AGP 9250 - even less for the PCI model.

Mine pushes 40fps at 800x600 in Raven Shield with all the effects turned off or set to lowest.
September 28, 2006 4:37:35 PM

so are you saying i wont be able to play counterstrike source or DoD?
sorri for snappin i would jsut be upset if i just bought a card so i can play this game and then it wont even help.
September 28, 2006 4:48:57 PM

Quote:
all i really want to know is will i be able to play counterstrike source and DoD with easyness that card supports 8.1 and 9 directx
these r the features it has

128MB of 400MHz DDR memory accelerates the latest cutting edge 3D applications
Available in both a 128-bit and 64-bit memory data path interface
ATI RADEON™ 9250 VPU operating at 240 MHz
Supports the AGP 8X and AGP 4x standard or PCI Bus, providing a high-speed link between the graphics card and the rest of the PC
Four pixel shader pipeline
Full support for Microsoft® DirectX® 8.1 and DX9 compliance and the latest OpenGL® functionality
SMARTSHADER™ technology
VIDEO IMMERSION™ and FULLSTREAM™ technologies which provide for amazing video playback quality.
Integrated DV support for Flat Panel displays