6600 interface to EuroScart TV???

orsino

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Ok, I'm trying to run my European PAL TV off my 6600 but the only inputs to the TV are either EuroScart or Coax. I've gone to my local friendly electronics big box store and they said HUH? Now wot? Adapters? Dongles? Wireless? Wot? :?

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
You will need either a VGA-RGB SCART adaptor, an S-Video to SCART adaptor, or a composite to SCART adaptor, depending on what your TV actually supports.

The order above is from highest quality to lowest quality.

orsino

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
If your card has an s-video/composite out then use something like this type of adapter :- http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/searchBrowseAction.do?Nr=avl%3auk&N=4294739447&name=SiteStandard&forwardingPage=line&R=3034078&callingPage=/jsp/browse/browse.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0960701476.1159441055@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccciaddimgmhhmgcefeceefdffhdfgi.0&cacheID=ukie

@mousemonkey: The linked session timed out and is inaccessible. Could you please give me a model name, number, etc.?

@mkaibear: I have six TVs in this place so I'm sure that the S-Vid and Comp would be supported by at least one of them in here. They're all basic CRTs, not HD plasmas, so I'm not sure that the VGA-RGB would work.

Thanks for the help!

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Lots of CRTs have RGB SCART (which is what I meant, I didn't mean RGB component video!)

You said it was a EuroScart (AKA Euroconnector), there are 3 types of Euroconnector - Composite, S-Video and RGB.

My 28" CRT has an RGB SCART, my DVD recorder takes RGB SCART (and outputs it as well), my DVD player has RGB SCART, the Sky box has 2 RGB SCARTS! I know they exist! I use them daily :)

orsino

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Whoosh...

That was the sound of this info flying over my head... :D

I'm looking at the back of one of the TVs. It has a Scart socket. No info next to it. I have no idea if it's Comp, S-Vid or RGB.

THG Article On Scart

The bottom pic looks like the kind of thing I would need. My 6600 has an output and a cable for S-Vid (3rd from right, bottom pic). I should be able to plug the cable into this, plug this into the Scart and hallelujah, right?

There's nothing like hanging out THG and asking questions in order to determine how really stupid you are! I feel like Paris Hilton taking her Mensa test. :lol:

Sorry about that I did'nt realise it was a timed page :-RS Stock no. 303-4078 ,Name Connector,audio/video,SCART,interseries adaptor,SCART-3 phono,mini DIN,4 way , Catalogue page 2-236 , An adaptor comprising 3 phono sockets for stereo audio (red and white sockets) and video (yellow socket) and a 4 way Mini DIN socket for S-VHS input. The adaptor also incorporates a switch to change between input and output modes. Was the info . HTH 8)

orsino

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Got it! Thanks! All of three quid, huh? Not bad. Seems similar to the one on the THG page, so I guess that's gotta be the way to go! :D

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Take a look at the specs for the TV online, you should be able to tell whether or not the TV supports RGB or S-Video. You *might* be able to get that info from the TV's onscreen menu.

when you use the AV input channels (not the normal 1,2,3 etc. but the other ones) they may have symbology like a rectangle with rgb or --- inside it meaning RGB I think, or a rectangle with s inside it, meaning (you guessed it) S-vhs or S-video. They will also all support composite. One my sony each scart input corresponds to two AV inputs, one composite and one RGb or S depending on which socket.

You may also find the that the sockets have little indented symbols next to them (if you are lucky)

orsino

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
For what you want to do that's the kiddie but you can get gold plated ones for about £12-£15 if you have too much cash :lol:

Ah, what the hell... the last time I bought something gold it had a big honkin' solitaire diamond in it... the chick loved it so much she left me soon thereafter! And of course she kept the freakin' ring. :cry:

I'll shell out the big poundage and get the high class ones. I deserve them! :lol:

orsino

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
when you use the AV input channels (not the normal 1,2,3 etc. but the other ones) they may have symbology like a rectangle with rgb or --- inside it meaning RGB I think, or a rectangle with s inside it, meaning (you guessed it) S-vhs or S-video. They will also all support composite. One my sony each scart input corresponds to two AV inputs, one composite and one RGb or S depending on which socket.

You may also find the that the sockets have little indented symbols next to them (if you are lucky)

Just checked three of the six tv sockets and none of them say anything but SCART. There are three bigger tvs but I have to pull them out of wall units so I'll wait a little on those! :D