Sign in with
Your question

new AM2 System build.. needing advice

Last response: in Systems
September 28, 2006 12:24:54 PM

$140~motherboard-Asus M2N-SLI deluxsocket am2 Nvidia nFORICE 570 mcp atxMOTHERBOARD LINK
$250~cpu- AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+ 2.4GHz Dual coreCPU LINK
$308~ram- CORSAIR XMS2 2gb(2x1gb) 240p DDr2 800(pc 6400) EPP and SLI certifiedRAM LINK
$160~graphics card-3D Fuzion Geforce 7600GT 256mb Gddr3( getting a cheep card for now then when dx10 hits im going to get a 7900gt and probely put it into SLIGRAPHICS CARD LINK
$ 64~Hard drive- Westen Digital Caviar RW 160GB 7200RPM sata 3.0gb/sHARD DRIVE LINK

this computer will be mainly used for playing Vanguard 50+ hours a week + counter strike,everquest, and anything else that seems fun

i want to keep it under $1000 or as close to as possible

if anyone with good computer knowladge can look over my choices and tell me if they notice anything right away like with compatability issues or bad parts that iv picked out.. also i still havent gotten a cd drive becuz everytime i pick one out someone tells me its not a good one... so im looking for 2 drvies both play and burn cd's and dvd's

thanks for your time and thanks to anyone who can help me
September 28, 2006 1:24:20 PM

Quote:
$140~motherboard-Asus M2N-SLI deluxsocket am2 Nvidia nFORICE 570 mcp atxMOTHERBOARD LINK
$250~cpu- AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+ 2.4GHz Dual coreCPU LINK
$308~ram- CORSAIR XMS2 2gb(2x1gb) 240p DDr2 800(pc 6400) EPP and SLI certifiedRAM LINK
$160~graphics card-3D Fuzion Geforce 7600GT 256mb Gddr3( getting a cheep card for now then when dx10 hits im going to get a 7900gt and probely put it into SLIGRAPHICS CARD LINK
$ 64~Hard drive- Westen Digital Caviar RW 160GB 7200RPM sata 3.0gb/sHARD DRIVE LINK

this computer will be mainly used for playing Vanguard 50+ hours a week + counter strike,everquest, and anything else that seems fun

i want to keep it under $1000 or as close to as possible

if anyone with good computer knowladge can look over my choices and tell me if they notice anything right away like with compatability issues or bad parts that iv picked out.. also i still havent gotten a cd drive becuz everytime i pick one out someone tells me its not a good one... so im looking for 2 drvies both play and burn cd's and dvd's

thanks for your time and thanks to anyone who can help me

1) Don't waste your money on SLI certified RAM, its meaningless. However, I guess with Corsair you don't have a choice...

2) Buying 7900s in SLI once DX10 comes out is not very smart. YOu cannot SLI a 7600 and 7900 if that was your plan.

3) Downgrade the CPU to a 3800+ and pick up a 65nm AMD CPU when available.

4) Change the hard drive to a Seagate 7200.10 Series hard drive SATA II.

5) There is no reason to buy 2 cd drives. Get an NEC burner on Newegg for $38. 3540A or something like that.
September 28, 2006 7:23:14 PM

So why the 4600+ over the e6300?
Related resources
September 29, 2006 1:42:49 AM

Now for the real $/performance peaks and some savings:

For the the top $/Mhz get the EPOX EP-MF570SLI . It PWNS the Asus in every single possible way.
But if you want the ultimate edge in overclocking and stability get the DFI LP UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G. Simply the best AM2 motherboard.

Dont waste your money on the 4600+, get the 4200+ with an ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro. With any of the two boards I recommended and this cooler you should be hitting 3Ghz in no time.

Corsair is simply overpriced. Get ANY DDR2 800 with 4-4-4-12 timings, they will perform the same as Corsair given that they use the same Micron D9 chips. This happends to be the cheapest one of them. Dont get CL5 because it doesnt overclock at all, but this memory can run at ~500Mhz CL5.

I would have to agree, you should get a X1900XT 256mb (the best $/performance card right now) and wait for second generation DX10 cards. But if im going over budget the 7600GT is also a very good bang for buck in its range.

The Seagate 7200.10 are the fastest HDDs on the market right now. But if youre on a budget thats a nice pick since its got a 16mb cache.

This is a nice deal on an optical drive. I like the software thats bundled with it.

What have you thought about your case and PSU??
September 29, 2006 12:42:25 PM

hey all thanks for the feedback... i checked out your two boards and the dfi lan party ne had alot of bad feedback aout it not working witch is my biggest fear... putting it all togeather and it just doesnt work... also i should have told everyone this is my origional post.... i dont plan to OC simply becuz i dont know how and dont want to break my computer... i want it to be FAST and reliable from the basics... as faras the dx10 thing.. i didnt plan on putting the 7600 and the 7900 into SLI i was going to wait till dx10 is out for abit then buy 2 new 7900 and put them into SLI.

as for my power supply and case... i bought a cheep $60 shyhawk case but i like it alot... the onyl thing that concerns me is there is alot of things i need to hook up to the mobo like usb1,usb2,power on,power reset, and all thoes things and i wanna make sure i can plug them all into my mobo(specially the screen for the temp on the front of it)

i bought a 550w Asus powr supply.. i forgot the name of this but it has the cords that are wrapped up so its less messy

so if someone could basically like me 5 parts... mobo/ram/GC/CPU/HD for under $1000 i want to build me a beast atlest 2gig of ram,amd 4200+(perferably duel core if what i was told is right.. and that was duel core is better for gaming and doing other things while gaming such as aim,IE,run the game in two windows), a Nvidia Graphics card for about $150... i want to wait intill dx10 to spend the $300, and atlest a 160GB HDD.. and if your like almost positive will work togeather, are compatable, and are fast..... this computer doesnt need to be top of the line super duper fast but in the 4 yrs i played everquest it was on a OLD HP 764n or some POS and i always had to turn down all the graphics and lag and zone slow, load slow. if anyone could help me with this id appriciate it... im very nervous and excited for this build seeing as its my first and it took me awhile to get the $$ i want everything to go smoothly
September 29, 2006 1:20:53 PM

AMD's CPUs have pretty much a price-performance parity with the C2D if you do not OC. AMD motherboards are significantly less expensive than Conroe-compatible motherboards, so he will save money.

And about the two optical drives- I have a DVD burner and CD burner and it is nice to be able to have two drives. DVD burners aren't the fastest at burning and reading CDs, so a $30 CD-burner works great for that. And also if you want to copy a disk, you put a blank in one and the disk in another and hit "go." Another plus is you can listen to a CD while playing one of those games that requires the CD to be present in the drive when you play. All in all, two optical drives are handy but not all that expensive. Of course then the same can be said for two hard drives (one for the OS and one for data.)
September 29, 2006 2:12:02 PM

Good luck on your build. It's never an easy decision with all of the possibilities.
Check out my specs. The stock fan was good enough that I could push my AM2 4200+ to 2.5 GHz and it stayed at about 40C with Prime95 on each core. I even had it to 2.7GHz, but it was at 50C, which was a little too high for me.
September 29, 2006 7:07:36 PM

I am aware that some ppl are having trouble with that board. But that is simply because they dont reseach, here they adress that problem and how to solve it.
Also you might not know how to overclock right now, but when youll learn the safe ways to it (dont overvoltage much) you might be up for it but youll have hardware limitations.
In any case:
EPoX 570 mobo
AMD X2 4600+
X1900XT 256mb It will outperfom ANY Nvidia card in that price range and will trade blows with the 7900GTX.
Seagate 7200.10 320GB
pqi 2x1GB DDR2 800 CL5
and I would trow in the AC Freezer 64 Pro even without overclocking.

The farther something can overclock the better stability itll have at stock speeds. Thats why I still recommend the EPoX board. AM2 isnt very latency sensitive so if you arent OCing CL5 would perform incredibly similar.
Compared to your initial picks youre getting a bigger and better HDD, a much better gfx card, a more stable board, RAM that costs alot less and will perform practically the same and a better HSF that will be quieter and cooler than stock (the lower the temps on something, the longer it lasts). Not bad I'd say.
September 29, 2006 7:42:58 PM

Quote:
I am aware that some ppl are having trouble with that board. But that is simply because they dont reseach, here they adress that problem and how to solve it.
Also you might not know how to overclock right now, but when youll learn the safe ways to it (dont overvoltage much) you might be up for it but youll have hardware limitations.
In any case:
EPoX 570 mobo
AMD X2 4600+
X1900XT 256mb It will outperfom ANY Nvidia card in that price range and will trade blows with the 7900GTX.
Seagate 7200.10 320GB
pqi 2x1GB DDR2 800 CL5
and I would trow in the AC Freezer 64 Pro even without overclocking.

The farther something can overclock the better stability itll have at stock speeds. Thats why I still recommend the EPoX board. AM2 isnt very latency sensitive so if you arent OCing CL5 would perform incredibly similar.
Compared to your initial picks youre getting a bigger and better HDD, a much better gfx card, a more stable board, RAM that costs alot less and will perform practically the same and a better HSF that will be quieter and cooler than stock (the lower the temps on something, the longer it lasts). Not bad I'd say.

I completely agree. The RAM I have is very nice too, it's worth looking at if it'll save you some $$. The x1900xt 256 is the absolute best for the money right now! So definately get that. Sounds like your set to go. Also, there is now reason not to overclock, even if you are not familier with changing BIOS setting, there is ClockGen and CPUZ to aid you
September 29, 2006 7:50:56 PM

TSIMonster is right with those programs you dont have to be a know-it-all wizard but theyre only recommended for light overclocking. If you wanna go deeper into it better start researching.
September 29, 2006 9:47:24 PM

My opinion is that SLI isn't worth the cost. And on-top-of-it, when DX10 comes out, you are going to need a DX10 capable card. Buying two 7900 GT's when DX10 comes out won't cut-the-mustard and is pointless.

If you really want to go the AMD route.

CPU: Save $52 and get the X2 4200+. - $183. Great potential for OC'ing.
Motherboard: Save $56 and get the MSI K9N Platinum - $97 after MIR
GPU: Agreed. Sapphire X1900XT - $241 after MIR
HDD: Seagate Barracuta 7200.10 - $80
Memory: The Corsair you choose. - $308 - Bad time to buy memory.

Total: $909

Now, I know you said you didn't want to OC. If this is indeed your final decision, go ahead and get the X2 4600+ but get the BFG 7600GT for only $120 after MIR to save some money for a DX10 card next year.

Total: $840

Now, personally, I would go the C2D route as the E6400 is almost as fast as AMD's current flagship, the FX-62 and that's not even OC'ing it. CPU Benches. You can see that OC'ing this chip that it gets very close to the X6800 Extreme. Now, that's bang-for-your-buck.

CPU: C2D E6400 - $233
Motherboard: ASUS P5N SLI - $127
Memory: PQI Power Series - Now this is where you will save some serious cash. $190 after MIR. If this alone doesn't convince you to go C2D, then I don't know what will. Since you don't plan on OC'ing, you don't need DDR2 800 memory, DDR2 533 will actually perform slightly better than DDR2 800.

All other comments the same for GPU and HDD.

Total with X1900XT: $871
Total with 7600GT: $750

As you can see, the C2D is the way to go currently because of the cost of RAM.

Hope this helps.
!