RivaCom

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I recently bought a Western Digital 250GB Sata 300MB/S 16MB Cache from best buy. Looking on my mother board(Asus K8VSEDeluxe) I noticed I have a Primary, and secondary Sata spot as well as two Sata Raid spots. I also already have running, an IDE/ATA Western Digital 120 GB. Problem is that the sata drive isn't being regonized by windows or the software that came with the drive. I have tryed both sata spots, changed it to Sata 1 by putting the jumper on 5/6 and even unplugging my IDE drive. It is enabled in bios, and I have the lastest Bios version 1008.004 beta. I'm sorta out of ideas here, one thing that I saw that I'm a little confused about is promise and via. Not sure what they are and if I have to install them/download them from somewhere.
Any help would be great.

PC Specs:
Amd Athlon 64 3200+
Asus K8VSEDeluxe
512PC3200 XMS Corsair Memory
512PC3200 VS Corsair Memory
Ati radeon 9800 pro 128MB

First Read This

FAQs are the best place to start trying to diagnose a specific problem, and yours is listed.

Your M/B doesn't have the capability of recognizing the SATA II transfer rate, therefore you need to set the HDD jumper to the SATA I setting.

You also may need to either enable the SATA M/B headers sometimes done in CMOS, sometimes M/B Jumper Settings, or install the M/B drivers for the SATA headers to work.

I'm not familiar with your M/B, but I'll look into it and get back to you.

No matter what you do M/B wise, you have to set the SATA HDD to SATA I if it has jumpers to prioritize it.

All your SATA features are CMOS controlled you have a PRI and SEC SATA header and knowing ASUS those will recognize as normal IDE, just make sure the HDD jumper is set on the SATA 150 transfer setting.

Also it wouldn't hurt to clear and reset the CMOS settings to get you back to the default settings.

rcs2749

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
If the drive is being seen in the BIOS goto Windows disk management and see if you see it. An unformated drive usually does not show up in windows explorer until it is partitioned and formated.

RivaCom

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Jumpers are already set on 5 and 6 150 setting as I first stated. Power is connected. When I boot it shows it as ok after detecting the ide HD, but in my bios i can only select primary and secondart IDE, my sata doesn't show up there and I don't see anywhere else to select my SATA. It is enabled In there. Do I need to reset something or installing something?

one thing that I saw that I'm a little confused about is promise and via. Not sure what they are and if I have to install them/download them from somewhere.
Any help would be great.

Those are the M/B RAID controllers you have VIA and Promise controllers controlling different headers, the drivers for these controllers are on the M/B support CD.

Promise FastTrak 378 Driver

VIA 6420 RAID Controller Driver

Some older setups required these drivers to be installed even if you weren't installing a RAID configuration to use the SATA headers, for WinXP to even be able to see the SATA HDDs period.

If you didn't install those drivers from the WinXP F6 option in the initial WinXP installation, they can still be installed in Windows, try installing them and see what happens.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Just to confirm rcs2749 question, you've looked in Disk Management correct?

Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Disk Management

Usually when people have this problem it is because they haven't looked here and formated the disk.

RivaCom

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
my only problem is I never got a MB cd when I purchased my computer. So i'll hit the site up see what I can download and install.

Jumpers are already set on 5 and 6 150 setting as I first stated.

I didn't ignore your statement, helping someone solve their problems while not being able to sit at their machine is a process of elimination until the problem is discovered.

Every M/B is different, every situation is different, and I always download a copy of the M/B manual and study it, to see what may or may not need to be done, and that takes some time so I give you some things to double check until I can get back to you.

That doesn't help your frustration of dealing with the problem but should give you some kind of comfort in that someone is trying to help you.

my only problem is I never got a MB cd when I purchased my computer. So i'll hit the site up see what I can download and install.

Thats the right thing to do.

You can PM me if you need to for faster response.

However once you install the drivers your problem should be solved.

Have a great day! Ryan

Usually the ASUS website only provides updated drivers, they're assuming you got an installation CD with the M/B you purchased, I went to the ASUS download section and it doesn't show an updated WinXP VIA drivers but you can download the Win2K driver and it will work just fine for XP, usually XP and 2K drivers are bundled together.

Win2K version 2.20D

The Promise Driver is available to download in WinXp. version 1.00.1.39

RivaCom

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Thanks for your help, it installed and it is working great. Now on to bigger things, was going to use it as a test run for vista but heh I guess with no vista driver for the sata, be quite hard. Thanks again.

rcs2749

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Thanks for your help, it installed and it is working great. Now on to bigger things, was going to use it as a test run for vista but heh I guess with no vista driver for the sata, be quite hard. Thanks again.

Maybe I missed it but what fixed your problem?

Maybe I missed it but what fixed your problem?

His M/B requires the installation of the SATA drivers to use the SATA M/B headers, he did not have an installation CD, so he downloaded them from his M/Bs website and installed them and his problem was solved.

That was necessary on some of the older M/Bs, newer M/Bs don't need the drivers as certain SATA headers are designated to be used as normally recognized IDE.

His M/B also couldn't autorecognize any of the newer SATA transfer rates, so he had to set jumpers on his WD HDD that changed the transfer rate from 300 to 150.