Sign in with
Your question

AMD 4400x2 watt problems please help

Last response: in CPUs
September 28, 2006 1:07:30 PM

Hi :D 

I resently purchased a 4400x2 110 watt AMD..

But i had nothing but problems......

asus sli A8N-SLI Premium mother board

3 giga of memory boards

leadtek 6600gt (1)

Enermax Liberty 620 watt Power supply

2 hitachi ata 250 HDD

Now I upgraded from a 3200 amd which runs well. But ever since i put in the 4400x2 i had freeze ups after 10 minds of play. then reboot and then 5 mins etc........I installed the os updated my MB bios etc.........all the windows updates are current........But for OMG i can`t get this thing stable........ HELP!
September 28, 2006 6:20:09 PM

Quote:

3 giga of memory boards

leadtek 6600gt (1)

2 hitachi ata 250 HDD

Now I upgraded from a 3200 amd which runs well. But ever since i put in the 4400x2 i had freeze ups after 10 minds of play. then reboot and then 5 mins etc........I installed the os updated my MB bios etc.........all the windows updates are current........But for OMG i can`t get this thing stable........ HELP!

That really sounds liek a power supply problem. My 4400+ has been running basically nonstop since last year.

When you notice machine reboot, feel the heatsink and go in and check the CPU temp in BIOS. If it's high you may have to reseat your heatsink, if not check the compatibility of your RAM. try taking 1 GB out (I assume you have two 512MB and two 1GB) then see if the machine is stable. Also unplug evrything and then plug it back in.

If none of that works your PSU is probably not providing the right amperage. Try a separate PSU.
September 29, 2006 12:53:00 AM

I put in a 620watt power supply..what i need 800watts ? thats crazy!

The computer "FREEZES" in the 10 min frame time.then 5 etc......

memory could be the issue..But I thinking its more heat related then power supply. Do you think this is the case? The Computer does not shutt down just freezes.
Related resources
September 29, 2006 12:55:17 AM

Quote:
I put in a 620watt power supply..what i need 800watts ? thats crazy!

The computer "FREEZES" in the 10 min frame time.then 5 etc......

memory could be the issue..But I thinking its more heat related then power supply. Do you think this is the case? The Computer does not shutt down just freezes.

Ok as a last check, when you install XP, don't connect to the Internent until you install SP1 or SP2 ( that's assunming you didn't get and SP2 CD). Other than that, I don't know.
September 29, 2006 1:00:25 AM

The OS is a service pack 2...........
September 29, 2006 1:03:27 AM

:cry:  See I had the tech people in my part of the world explain it was the Bio drivers. First they said install the newest .i did the beta .They failed.Then I installed the newest non beta drivers. it worked. I get great frame rates with this system MB and CPU combo, but if i can get it working which seems is a dream right now......
September 29, 2006 1:43:16 AM

Quote:

3 giga of memory boards

leadtek 6600gt (1)

2 hitachi ata 250 HDD

Hey Bun
Did you install the GENUINE AMD dirvers with the MS dualie hotfix AND the AMD Dual Core Optimizer as well?
Now the PSU may be the problem but definitely don't overlook this step. If you did not install the amd drivers, here is a forum link this guy posted on another forum that DETAILS how to do it all....very EASY bro :wink:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81...

Hope this helps dude

Antec P180 Performance Case
SeaSonic S12 600w PSU
Asus A8N32 SLI S-939 (bios 1103 V02.58 )
RealTek 97 Onboard
ATHLON 64 X2 4800+ Toledo Core (AMD v 1.3.1.0/MS hotfix/ Dual Opt)
2 G's of Corsair 3500LL Pro @ 400Mhz 2-3-2-6-1T
2- BFG 7900 GT OC in SLI (NV 91.31)
WD RAPTOR 74.3 G's / XP Home / SP2 & Apps
Maxtor SATA II 250 G's /Gaming / Movies / MP3's
Maxtor SATA II 250 G's /backup (unplugged)
Sony CDrom 52X
Plextor 708-A DVD/CD rom
Razer DiamondBack Optical mouse
Logitech Z-5500 Dolby Digital 5.1 THX 500w
September 29, 2006 2:58:56 AM

try swapping out your memory. maybe your chip doesnt like the combo you have. how do you like 3gb anyway? 3x1gb? or 2x 1gb and 2x 512???
September 29, 2006 3:00:54 AM

thank you so much i try it..........so its due to the driver for dual cores? or heat or both?
September 29, 2006 3:02:31 AM

yes i have 3giga (2) 1giga and (2) 512
September 29, 2006 3:28:02 AM

it would only be due to the cpu overheating that quickly, if you didnt have the cpu heatsink fan mounted properly... so, i wouldnt think overheating would be the reason... your X2 cpu would have to get to ~67C before it would start freezing like that, but again, inside of a few seconds is kinda quick for overheating to be the reason... you could try reseating the heatsink either way, even still...

memory could be an issue... too, try using only one dimm at a time, alternating between them and finding out if any of them might be causing the problem of freezing...

your psu could be an issue, i just got an ultra x-finity 600w 2 days ago, and it didnt work at all (aside from an cathode tube led lighting up for only a split second... so i returned it for the same model the next day, and my computer works flawlessly... so aside from rated wattage and other specs, the psu itself could be a problem... if nothing else seems to to be the reason.
September 29, 2006 3:30:49 AM

I going to buy a chipset cooler today. and install it. and try again withthe patterns of psssible fixes........Gesh i sure hope this all works :( 
September 29, 2006 3:31:59 AM

do you know if its overheating though?

if you go into your bios settings, you should be able to see what temperature the cpu is running at
September 29, 2006 8:17:43 AM

the fanless sink gets really hot! the pipe is turning blue near the raditor part. So I bought a small blue ice cooloer master unit to see if this reduces the heat lrvrl. I was reaching temp in the 45 to 47......

Questen how do i save the registry?????? when i do the fix to it?
Thank s you all for the help :D 
September 29, 2006 8:32:06 AM

45-47C really isnt bad at all to be honest for your cpu... as far as it turning blue?? hmm, well... it *could* be overheating, but the temperatures you gave wouldnt indicate that...

as far as saving the registy... you wont need to bother with doing that, if youre referring to the amd dual core drivers and optimizations... all you have to do, is go to http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/... , and then download and install all 3 of these:

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (x86 and x64 exe) 1.3.2.16

AMD Dashboard Demo Software, Rev 2.0.0

AMD Dual-Core Optimizer

aside from that though, you wont need to bother with software too much really
September 29, 2006 8:37:43 AM

ok i will do what you said know and install the 4400.....again. but do i need those hotfixa if i aready the S2 windows update?
I am running XP pro
September 29, 2006 8:45:01 AM

AMD Dual-Core Optimizer

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (x86 and x64 exe) 1.3.2.16

I can`t find the 3rd
September 29, 2006 8:46:37 AM

the only thing im finding questionable in regards to heat dissipation, is that you said the heatsink is turning blue... so, i guess reseating the cpu heatsink couldnt hurt... make sure you apply thermal paste too, after cleaning off the heatsink and cpu with high purity alcohol... dont apply too much thermal paste though, cuz that wont allow the heatsink to make sufficient contact with your cpu...

but yes, you do need the downloads... microsoft doesnt distribute them, only amd...

...after installing them, youre computer will also be faster as a result too, since it will then have the proper software installed, that it didnt before
September 29, 2006 8:48:39 AM

Which BIOS revision does your MB have on it? U may want to flash if its old. Id then recommend Running the system with ONE piece of RAM in it and see if that makes a difference, if so then re-insert your DIMMS one at a time.
September 29, 2006 8:54:28 AM

1009 bio for the MB i already tried those bad beta drives and they did not work.....bio drivers are current.....
September 29, 2006 8:56:36 AM

So only AMD Dual-Core Optimizer and this AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (x86 and x64 exe) 1.3.2.16 and the dashboard demo is optional right?!
September 29, 2006 9:00:20 AM

...well, theyre all optional to be honest... but youre better off downloading them than not, as your computer can only benefit from having them... just like with graphics card drivers... you can try playing a game with only legacy drivers, but typically it wont be a pretty sight, if itll play at all, lol
September 29, 2006 9:15:06 AM

If you did not upgrade your bios that might be the problem,or just like someone said check your RAM.
September 29, 2006 9:32:13 AM

i am curious though... ...if you boot into safe mode, does your computer still freeze?... if it doesnt freeze, that would definetly indicate a software problem then, cuz by going into safe mode, youve eliminated all but the most vital windows components, and thus any possible software problems (though im some cases antivirus programs still load up, which can be a hassle)... but, if your computer doesnt freeze while in safe mode, that would indicate that its a software issue... not hardware... ...but if it does still freeze while in safe mode, its specifically hardware related then.

i gotta get to sleep though... almost 3am here.
September 29, 2006 12:59:29 PM

Quote:
...well, theyre all optional to be honest... but youre better off downloading them than not, as your computer can only benefit from having them... just like with graphics card drivers... you can try playing a game with only legacy drivers, but typically it wont be a pretty sight, if itll play at all, lol

Hey Bun,
Like ChiorBass said, it can't hurt. Cuz if you think about it, the drivers from the manufacturer that makes the hardware have MADE those drivers to work with THEIR hardware.

Whereas, the dual core drivers that Msoft supplies with the SP2 service pack are....I guess what I would call, a broad spectrum all purpose type of driver, and NOT CPU SPECIFIC. So when your dualie comes up against some REAL WORK.....LIKE PLAYIN F E A R ...........well..........it chokes (ie freezes up, stutters, etc etc ).
So once you try reseating your cpu and solve the heat issue, try the AUTHENTIC AMD drivers and take it out for a spin :wink:
September 30, 2006 6:30:02 AM

It was a nightmare! Nothng worked froze and broken the OS......I giving up on this trash cpu. Its not worth my time of effort anymore. After this last ```` I never buy another AMD or ASUS mother every again.......
September 30, 2006 9:21:05 AM

im sorry to hear that... in all honestly though, i seriously doubt its the cpu to blame for the problems, if anything... as there are much more likely culprits responsible for the instabilities youre facing (part of the motherboard, memory, power supply, video card, software, pci cards, etc)... but, the cpu itself usually is not responsible (as the companies distributing pc cpus do so to millions of customers worldwide... if would be bad for them if their cpus were all faulty, or even partially, or had a reputation of being faulty, so, their hardware is usually pretty reliable... smaller companies are able to more afford occasional hardware faults, as they dont have to provide service to nearly as many people, so in that sense, mistakes are more excusable, but, mistakes still suck nonetheless)

...i admit, it is difficult to troubleshoot when you dont have any spare pc hardware to be able to test with on your system, to switch parts between
September 30, 2006 1:50:04 PM

Quote:
im sorry to hear that... in all honestly though, i seriously doubt its the cpu to blame for the problems, if anything... as there are much more likely culprits responsible for the instabilities youre facing (part of the motherboard, memory, power supply, video card, software, pci cards, etc)... but, the cpu itself usually is not responsible (as the companies distributing pc cpus do so to millions of customers worldwide... if would be bad for them if their cpus were all faulty, or even partially, or had a reputation of being faulty, so, their hardware is usually pretty reliable... smaller companies are able to more afford occasional hardware faults, as they dont have to provide service to nearly as many people, so in that sense, mistakes are more excusable, but, mistakes still suck nonetheless)

...i admit, it is difficult to troubleshoot when you dont have any spare pc hardware to be able to test with on your system, to switch parts between

Well I doubt the power supply, MB etc.......and OS....

Frankly It is the cpu.....as iheard from many this cpu is a problem one. I had this cpu tested by the reseller. But as everyone knows condition don`t always match same......its the nano of a part that males the differenace between working and not. As I said before I never deal with aanother AMD ever again after this nightmare.....ASUS same.since there tech support was nice, ut not good. I be sending this cpu back to AMD for a result. Frankly they have alot of explaining to do after all the BS i been through 8 weeks with this crap.
September 30, 2006 5:40:13 PM

Just a quick question:

Was the ACPI enabled in the bios?

Kinda wonder if the OS was using the wrong HAL.
October 1, 2006 3:28:59 AM

I really not sure. But i did all the setting i should have. turn on and off HT etc.........
But freezing up during gme play is not a good sign of stable conditions.
I just think this CPU was a bad fromthe start..... The again 4400 had or has a bad track record.
October 1, 2006 3:51:51 AM

yeah, big problem
October 1, 2006 3:51:57 AM

you should try removing *all* installed extra components in your tower (and disabling other nonessential integrated components on your motherboard), disabling and removing 1 component at a time, till your computer stops crashing... you can get all the way down to your motherboard, gpu, cpu, psu, and 1 dimm before your computer isnt usable, as those are the only 5 components you actually need... and, if its still crashing if you get down to only those 5 left, you can try switching different components out with spare components, if you happen to have any (spare psu, spare memory, spare gpu, spare motherboard, and spare cpu, any of those that you happen to have lying around extra you can use, or possibly even borrow from a friend)

also, when playing games, be sure to set the cpu affinity to only 1 core, if your games are unstable and acting up now
October 1, 2006 4:44:56 AM

I wish it was the simple.........After 3 or more system rebuilds crashing the HDD etc....I really wonder if these 4400 high wattage cous are even worth th effort to install. 2 months of nothing but problems.

PS.not a prolem bought a new one.

memory boards.well they are being read by the system so no problems

heating..well have no cover onthe case and i added a small fan to the chip set ( no problem now )

turned off one core.still crashing.

install all those BS AMD driver CRASH CRASH CRASH.....problem resulting in even more instabilty and crashing.

Moral of the story with AMD............ BUY A DUAL CORE 2!. Ok the having some problem but not as much as these AMD .Gesh!!!!!!!!!!don@t bother with ASUS either because they don`t make the situlation any better with AMD.
October 1, 2006 5:06:04 AM

Quote:

Well I doubt the power supply, MB etc.......and OS....

Frankly It is the cpu.....as iheard from many this cpu is a problem one. I had this cpu tested by the reseller. But as everyone knows condition don`t always match same......its the nano of a part that males the differenace between working and not. As I said before I never deal with aanother AMD ever again after this nightmare.....ASUS same.since there tech support was nice, ut not good. I be sending this cpu back to AMD for a result. Frankly they have alot of explaining to do after all the BS i been through 8 weeks with this crap.

As you heard from me as I type this with my 4400+, I have only suspended this thing. I rarely even have to reboot and may play Q4 or D3 before I go to sleep.

I'm sorry you're having the problems but a bad CPU usually won't even start Windows. I am not familiar with the ASUS board but haven't heard of too many problems.

Check out www.planetamd64.com
October 1, 2006 6:30:42 AM

As I said earlier. I installed the bios update as the Tech told me. But still problem after problem after problem......

All this information all good and said but There must be some underlining reason why this cpu is so crappy.

Well when price drops happen as it did withthis cpu 50% off. it makes you wonder if this one was a bad batch to start with. But then again there are countless problems with this cu from the start. I sure hope amd works the bugs out of this cpu inthe next gerneration NOT the AM2 ones either. I mean the next evo of this cpu. Because if you have to turn one core off to play games inthe most part whats the sence? Ok its not meant for games but real applications. Oh well.............
!