iPod problem with new build

esanders09

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Sorry if this isn't the right place for a question like this. I've gone through the iPod forums and didn't have any success in finding any answers.

So here's the issue: I just finished putting together my first build and for the most part everything seems to be working correctly. The one thing that isn't working is the USB connection for my iPod. For those that are unfamiliar with iPods, usually you plug in the USB port and it automatically fires up iTunes. Windows will also recognize the iPod as a mass storage device. When I plug mine in, it gives me an error that says (to paraphrase b/c I'm posting at work) that there was a problem installing the device and it is not functioning properly. Below is a list of stuff that I've arleady tried to do to find the problem:

- Checked the iPod and cord on old computer to ensure they still work, which they do.
- Installed the newest version of iTunes and iPod software on new computer to ensure I had the latest software, no success
- Installed the original ipod software, no success
- I checked the Device manager and the iPod is listed as an "unknown device." I went through the Windows troubleshooting with no success.
- Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers through device manager with no success
- The USB port runs my usb headset properly and I checked that the port would read a mass storage device with my compact flash reader for my digital camera properly, which it did.
- Also tried the iPod on a different USB port to see if that was the problem.

I'm completely at a loss and iPod technical support won't do anything for me unless I pay them $50 dollars and I still don't think they'll be able to do anything to help.

If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate it.

Computer specs:
C2D E6600 Stock cooling (no OC)
Asus P5N32 SLI SE Deluxe
2G Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800
320G Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM
EVGA nVidia GeForce 7900 GT KO
600W OCZ GameXtreme
Lite-On DVD/CD RW drive
Antec P160W

antichrysler

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
try this:
reinstall itunes (with latest vesion from apples site)
run ipod restore, re-install the ipod firmware
once that's done add the ipod to your itunes and it'll nuke all the music on the ipod but it should work.

after selling ipods for over a year i would never buy one myself. they are shit.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I built mine this summer, AM2 not C2D, and my iPod worked fine. Recognized it immediately, iTunes synced with it, transferred everything ok, works great.

My friend had trouble when he upgraded to the new version of iTunes. It nuked his iPod, so he had to reformat it. Since then, as far as I know he's had no problems.

And the new iTunes sucks. Just FYI.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Ditch the iPod and get a real MP3 player. Screw Apple.

I also wouldn't put it past Microsoft to start adding code that will screw around with iPod's since they want people to buy their Zune anyways. Faster we get iTunes off of computers, the faster this world will go to being perfect.

For some constructive info... I actually have none...

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Only problem is that a pretty significant portion of my music is downloaded form iTunes, and that music can't be played in anything but iTunes or the iPod. So, I'll have waste CDs on burning and re-ripping the iTunes music as MP3s, then transfer everything to a new player.

Oh, and the fact that the new version of iTunes can't be used with any full-screen application, like a game. I tried to listen to the Angry String Orchestra while playing WoW, and it got all garbled. Shut down WoW, and it played fine. Apple is not making me happy now.

rantsky

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Ok some ideas:

1. You don't specify what gen iPod you have. If it has a Firewire connection, dump the USB and connect it to Firewire. USB is known to be a troublemaker on these models and doesn't always work. By the way, when you're using USB, make sure it is USB2. The iPod will not work on USB1 at all.

2. Do NOT use iTunes 7 it is full of bugs. It did not recognize my iPod either. If you installed it, I suggest you completely remove it and only then install your original iPod software.

3. After *cleanly* installing your original iPod software, does the iPod updated recognize the iPod? Does it allow you to restore it? If so, try restoring the iPod though it'll erase all your music of course.

4. Did you go through the standard troubleshooting procedures? Did you reset the iPod? Did you try setting it in disk mode?

5. You can try calling Apple support again. They won't help you over the phone, but they can *email* you the exact same troubleshooting procedure that they would have gone over with you on the phone. Some of these documents are actually quite good.

6. Yes, iPod is trouble. Get used to it or get another player :)

Cheers

rantsky

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Only problem is that a pretty significant portion of my music is downloaded form iTunes, and that music can't be played in anything but iTunes or the iPod. So, I'll have waste CDs on burning and re-ripping the iTunes music as MP3s, then transfer everything to a new player.

Can't this be done somehow virtually? I mean, burn the CD to an image, mount and rip?

Oh and by the way.. when it's out, you can try your luck with Zune. I understand MS will be giving away for free any tracks you bought through iTunes (..not that this any kind of recommendation).

Cheers

esanders09

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Okay, thanks for all the thoughts so far.

My iPod version is the iPod with dock connector. I believe that is the 2nd gen. I've always used USB with it. It doesn't have a color screen and the menu, play, etc. buttons are above the volume wheel.

I did a clean install of the original iPod software with no luck.

I did reset it with no luck. The other options in terms of completely whiping the iPod; I thought you had to be able to connect it to you comp and have it recognized by Windows at least. If I could have it completely reset to how it was when I bought it and have it work, that would be fine. I've only purchased about 50 songs from iTunes and a fair number of those are free downloads so that's not that big of a deal.

Edit to clarify: This isn't a question of whether iTunes does anything with the iPod once its plugged in. The problem is that neither iTunes or Windows recognizes that the iPod is there. I just checked the apple website and the instructions indicate that you have to have the iPod connected and have it listed in the iTunes resource list to do the Restore.

I've basically gone through all of the "R's" that I could on the iTunes page and don't have any other ideas.

esanders09

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Yes, they are definitely USB 2.0 ports. Its on a brand new Antec P160 case and I just checked the spec on the antec page.

I hadn't tried putting it into disk mode. I'll cross my fingers and give it a shot when I get home.

Thanks.

rantsky

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
If nothing else works, it still might be the USB port. Try connecting your iPod through FW - you should have a port on your M/B, or maybe on your soundcard if you got one. You can also consider installing a FW card, it's like $5.

Just mentioning all this cause my 4th gen made lots of trouble through USB2, so much that I had to get a dedicated FW port myself.

Cheers

liquidpaper007

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
esanders09 said:
Yes, they are definitely USB 2.0 ports. Its on a brand new Antec P160 case and I just checked the spec on the antec page.

I hadn't tried putting it into disk mode. I'll cross my fingers and give it a shot when I get home.

Thanks.

maybe you hooked up the front ports wrong? did you try using the ones in the back?

I do agree with many ipods suck nuts

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
What were you using before the build you just did? It works fine on there right? Did you install SP2 on the new build (I should think so). It seems you covered nearly all the bases... you might want to take a drastic approach and reinstall windows if its that important.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Hmm...now that's an idea, I never thought of that. Might give that a shot later.

Zune's looking pretty good. And the fact that they might be giving away the tracks you bought from iTunes makes that deal pretty sweet. But I wonder what's involved with that trade?