Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Cingular in Raleigh, NC

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
November 17, 2004 7:03:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Thinking about changing from Sprint.

Does anyone know how the coverage is in the RTP area?

Thanks

More about : cingular raleigh

Anonymous
November 17, 2004 5:26:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Well, I have cingular in Chapel Hill and it is oK. you will have
problems in the mountains, were coverage is non existent, and the
eastern part of the state.

Around Raliegh propper, the coverage is just fine.

chip

Spud wrote:
> Thinking about changing from Sprint.
>
> Does anyone know how the coverage is in the RTP area?
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 5:21:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Spud wrote:
>
> Thinking about changing from Sprint.
>
> Does anyone know how the coverage is in the RTP area?
>
> Thanks

Overall it's good in Raleigh. Unfortunately there's a hole
in the coverage where my house is near Lake Wheeler, and
Cingular won't do anything about it. I haven't had any
problems in RTP, Durham or Chapel Hill either.

The coverage in rural North Carolina is not very good.

Regards, Daniel


--
--------------------------------------------------------------
| danielmbarton@yahoo.com |
--------------------------------------------------------------
Related resources
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 6:55:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I am in Johnston county and have no probems, a few dead spots between towns
here but no problem near the big city.
"Daniel Barton" <danielmbarton@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:419C0746.62A16138@yahoo.com...
> Spud wrote:
>>
>> Thinking about changing from Sprint.
>>
>> Does anyone know how the coverage is in the RTP area?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Overall it's good in Raleigh. Unfortunately there's a hole
> in the coverage where my house is near Lake Wheeler, and
> Cingular won't do anything about it. I haven't had any
> problems in RTP, Durham or Chapel Hill either.
>
> The coverage in rural North Carolina is not very good.
>
> Regards, Daniel
>
>
> --
> --------------------------------------------------------------
> | danielmbarton@yahoo.com |
> --------------------------------------------------------------
November 19, 2004 4:00:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Chip, Daniel & j647

Thanks very much for the info. I think I will go with Cingular but will need
to wait for some of the ATT/Cingular dust to settle. My discount goes thru
ATT and according to the web site that isn't set up with Cingular yet but is
coming. Time will tell. Til then will stay with Sprint.

Thanks again,
Spud
Anonymous
November 19, 2004 1:53:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Spud wrote:
> Chip, Daniel & j647
>
> Thanks very much for the info. I think I will go with Cingular but will need
> to wait for some of the ATT/Cingular dust to settle. My discount goes thru
> ATT and according to the web site that isn't set up with Cingular yet but is
> coming. Time will tell. Til then will stay with Sprint.


Probably a good thing. From what Clark Howard says on his radio show,
Cingular has the worst customer no-service rating in the industry. Based
on my recent experiences with them, I believe the rating to be
accurate, particularly with their corporate store near Crossroads
Shopping Center.
November 20, 2004 6:03:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

>Probably a good thing. From what Clark Howard says on his radio show,
>Cingular has the worst customer no-service rating in the industry. Based
> on my recent experiences with them, I believe the rating to be
>accurate, particularly with their corporate store near Crossroads
>Shopping Center.

Hopefully most people never have to deal with customer service. I've heard
bad things about Sprint's but in about 6 years I've never used it,
fortunately.
November 20, 2004 6:15:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Spud wrote:

> Thinking about changing from Sprint.
>
> Does anyone know how the coverage is in the RTP area?
>
> Thanks
My wife just switched from Sprint to Cingular. Dead spots with Sprint
in Alamance County and places where I have problems with Verizon are
have not been a problem with Cingular.
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 6:29:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <jqctp0lbq110pspknqia7h14njfiaii0mc@4ax.com>,
Spud <spud@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
> >Probably a good thing. From what Clark Howard says on his radio show,
> >Cingular has the worst customer no-service rating in the industry. Based
> > on my recent experiences with them, I believe the rating to be
> >accurate, particularly with their corporate store near Crossroads
> >Shopping Center.
>
> Hopefully most people never have to deal with customer service. I've heard
> bad things about Sprint's but in about 6 years I've never used it,
> fortunately.

Sprint customer service has 3 years straight now rated worst for
customer service in J D Power surveys. Then Sprint lays folks off and
outsources the rest.
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 8:03:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <jzwick3-016D57.21294019112004@news1.east.earthlink.net> on Sat, 20 Nov
2004 03:29:40 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Sprint customer service has 3 years straight now rated worst for
>customer service in J D Power surveys. ...

Actually a tie in 2004 between SprintPCS, ATTWS, and Cingular:
<http://www.jdpower.com/cc/telecom/jdpa_ratings/wireless...;

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 10:06:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Say hello to Suncom. If you are AT&T Wireless and you are in the Raleigh
or Charlotte area Cingular has sold you to Suncom!


--
dlginnc
brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com/
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 1:33:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"dlginnc" <dlginnc.1g1a2a@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote in message
news:D lginnc.1g1a2a@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au...
>
> Say hello to Suncom. If you are AT&T Wireless and you are in the Raleigh
> or Charlotte area Cingular has sold you to Suncom!
>
they were exchanged with licenses in VA as part of the merger deal, and
this has been known for quite awhile!
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 2:48:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

ajg wrote

> they were exchanged with licenses in VA as part of the merger deal,
and
> this has been known for quite awhile!

Aparantly SPUD was not aware of the transaction. Neither was I when I
purchased a ATT Wireless plan in a company store recently. They aren't
disclosing the change to Suncom here in Charlotte., at least in the ATT
Wireless stores that have not been rebranded.


--
dlginnc
brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com/
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 4:54:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <xCPnd.17941$DE1.780323@twister.southeast.rr.com> on Sat, 20 Nov 2004
22:33:01 GMT, "ajg" <analogtiger@howardsternsfourms.com> wrote:

>"dlginnc" <dlginnc.1g1a2a@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote in message
>news:D lginnc.1g1a2a@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au...
>>
>> Say hello to Suncom. If you are AT&T Wireless and you are in the Raleigh
>> or Charlotte area Cingular has sold you to Suncom!
>>
> they were exchanged with licenses in VA as part of the merger deal, and
>this has been known for quite awhile!

An exchange of licenses (spectrum) is one thing; an exchange of customers is
another thing entirely.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
November 21, 2004 6:20:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

>Say hello to Suncom. If you are AT&T Wireless and you are in the Raleigh
>or Charlotte area Cingular has sold you to Suncom!

Not exactly sure what this means but it sure doesn't sound good.

Spud, watching the dust settle
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 2:23:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Spud <spud@yahoo.com> wrote
> Does anyone know how the coverage is in the RTP area?

Wireless Week is reporting today:

Cingular Wireless has opened its third retail store location in
Raleigh, N.C. The company also added 17 new cell sites in the state
this month in an effort to enhance its wireless coverage in Raleigh
and throughout Eastern North Carolina.

tg.
December 4, 2004 5:20:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"tom glaab" <glaabtom@netscape.net> wrote in message
news:60c41fe3.0412031123.1f3c4e1b@posting.google.com...
Spud <spud@yahoo.com> wrote
> Does anyone know how the coverage is in the RTP area?

Wireless Week is reporting today:

Cingular Wireless has opened its third retail store location in
Raleigh, N.C. The company also added 17 new cell sites in the state
this month in an effort to enhance its wireless coverage in Raleigh
and throughout Eastern North Carolina.

tg.

Coverage is good , just not so good indoors due to the fact that cingular
runs at 1900mhz in the Carolinas and that doesn't penetrate buildings.
December 4, 2004 6:40:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"AT" <AT@somecracked.org> wrote in message
news:Y99sd.26739$Mu3.1648193@twister.southeast.rr.com...

"tom glaab" <glaabtom@netscape.net> wrote in message
news:60c41fe3.0412031123.1f3c4e1b@posting.google.com...
Spud <spud@yahoo.com> wrote
> Does anyone know how the coverage is in the RTP area?

Wireless Week is reporting today:

Cingular Wireless has opened its third retail store location in
Raleigh, N.C. The company also added 17 new cell sites in the state
this month in an effort to enhance its wireless coverage in Raleigh
and throughout Eastern North Carolina.

tg.

Coverage is good , just not so good indoors due to the fact that cingular
runs at 1900mhz in the Carolinas and that doesn't penetrate buildings.

meant to say doesn't penetrate buildings as well as 800/850mhz
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 6:48:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <wkasd.26756$Mu3.1656605@twister.southeast.rr.com> on Sat, 04 Dec 2004
03:40:12 GMT, "AT" <AT@somecracked.org> wrote:

>Coverage is good , just not so good indoors due to the fact that cingular
>runs at 1900mhz in the Carolinas and that doesn't penetrate buildings.
>
>meant to say doesn't penetrate buildings as well as 800/850mhz

It's not that simple. While 1900 penetrates wall less well than 800/850, it
does a better job of penetrating small openings (e.g., windows). Overall the
difference is usually relatively small.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
December 4, 2004 9:37:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
news:j%ksd.9411$_3.110009@typhoon.sonic.net...
[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <wkasd.26756$Mu3.1656605@twister.southeast.rr.com> on Sat, 04 Dec 2004
03:40:12 GMT, "AT" <AT@somecracked.org> wrote:

>Coverage is good , just not so good indoors due to the fact that cingular
>runs at 1900mhz in the Carolinas and that doesn't penetrate buildings.
>
>meant to say doesn't penetrate buildings as well as 800/850mhz

It's not that simple. While 1900 penetrates wall less well than 800/850, it
does a better job of penetrating small openings (e.g., windows). Overall
the
difference is usually relatively small.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
tter

While that may be technically true, my real world experience has been the
deciding factor for me. I have used both Alltel & Verizon CDMA 800mhz
service all over the Raleigh durham area, and have used Cingular's 1900mhz
service all over the same area, and Cingular is SOOO much worse indoors than
the others. In areas where I have full strength on alltel , and I walk
inside a structure (like a mall), my signal would drop a bar or two, whereas
with Cingular I regularly drop from FULL signal outside the door to NO
signal inside. This has happened all over the area, and unless a cingular
tower is extremely close the rf performance indoors is terrible.
Fortunately, the areas I need service the most with Cingular are areas with
relatively strong levels, but when my contract is over I'm going back to
CDMA in the carolinas.
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 10:53:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <Ztnsd.12215$8S5.1456849@twister.southeast.rr.com> on Sat, 04 Dec 2004
18:37:45 GMT, "JG" <JG@aRRdomainnearyou.com> wrote:

>"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>news:j%ksd.9411$_3.110009@typhoon.sonic.net...

>It's not that simple. While 1900 penetrates [walls] less well than 800/850, it
>does a better job of penetrating small openings (e.g., windows). Overall
>the difference is usually relatively small.

>While that may be technically true, my real world experience has been the
>deciding factor for me. I have used both Alltel & Verizon CDMA 800mhz
>service all over the Raleigh durham area, and have used Cingular's 1900mhz
>service all over the same area, and Cingular is SOOO much worse indoors than
>the others.

You can't determine frequency-related performance by comparing different
carriers. That's probably a carrier issue, not a frequency issue.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 6:56:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <5Ctsd.1761$Pw1.595200@twister.southeast.rr.com> on Sun, 05 Dec 2004
01:36:01 GMT, "JG" <JG@aRRdomainnearyou.com> wrote:

>"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>news:QAosd.9463$_3.110935@typhoon.sonic.net...
>
>You can't determine frequency-related performance by comparing different
>carriers. That's probably a carrier issue, not a frequency issue.
>
>Do you ever NOT have an answer for any question?

Do you ever READ the post you're quoting and responding to?

>I thought this thread was
>about Cingular's coverage in Raleigh nc.

What you responded to was:

>>... just not so good indoors due to the fact that cingular
>>runs at 1900mhz in the Carolinas and that doesn't penetrate
>>buildings.

>>meant to say doesn't penetrate buildings as well as 800/850mhz

>It's not that simple. While 1900 penetrates wall less well than
>800/850, it does a better job of penetrating small openings (e.g.,
>windows). Overall the difference is usually relatively small.

>I live in raleigh, do you?.

The above material isn't specific to Raleigh in any way. If you're just
responding to the Raleigh part of the thread, then you should have made that
clear; e.g., by trimming away the part above.

>... It definitely is a carrier issue as you say,

Indeed.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
!