Cingular in Raleigh, NC

Thinking about changing from Sprint.

Does anyone know how the coverage is in the RTP area?

Thanks
21 answers Last reply
More about cingular raleigh

    Well, I have cingular in Chapel Hill and it is oK. you will have
    problems in the mountains, were coverage is non existent, and the
    eastern part of the state.

    Around Raliegh propper, the coverage is just fine.

    chip

    Spud wrote:

    > Thinking about changing from Sprint.
    >
    > Does anyone know how the coverage is in the RTP area?
    >
    > Thanks

    Overall it's good in Raleigh. Unfortunately there's a hole
    in the coverage where my house is near Lake Wheeler, and
    Cingular won't do anything about it. I haven't had any
    problems in RTP, Durham or Chapel Hill either.

    The coverage in rural North Carolina is not very good.

    Regards, Daniel

    | danielmbarton@yahoo.com |

    I am in Johnston county and have no probems, a few dead spots between towns
    here but no problem near the big city.
    "Daniel Barton" <danielmbarton@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Spud wrote:
    >>
    >> Thinking about changing from Sprint.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know how the coverage is in the RTP area?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >
    > Overall it's good in Raleigh. Unfortunately there's a hole
    > in the coverage where my house is near Lake Wheeler, and
    > Cingular won't do anything about it. I haven't had any
    > problems in RTP, Durham or Chapel Hill either.
    >
    > The coverage in rural North Carolina is not very good.
    >
    > Regards, Daniel

    > | danielmbarton@yahoo.com |

    Chip, Daniel & j647

    Thanks very much for the info. I think I will go with Cingular but will need
    to wait for some of the ATT/Cingular dust to settle. My discount goes thru
    ATT and according to the web site that isn't set up with Cingular yet but is
    coming. Time will tell. Til then will stay with Sprint.

    Thanks again,
    Spud

    Spud wrote:
    > Chip, Daniel & j647
    >
    > Thanks very much for the info. I think I will go with Cingular but will need
    > to wait for some of the ATT/Cingular dust to settle. My discount goes thru
    > ATT and according to the web site that isn't set up with Cingular yet but is
    > coming. Time will tell. Til then will stay with Sprint.

    Probably a good thing. From what Clark Howard says on his radio show,
    Cingular has the worst customer no-service rating in the industry. Based
    on my recent experiences with them, I believe the rating to be
    accurate, particularly with their corporate store near Crossroads
    Shopping Center.

    >Probably a good thing. From what Clark Howard says on his radio show,
    >Cingular has the worst customer no-service rating in the industry. Based
    > on my recent experiences with them, I believe the rating to be
    >accurate, particularly with their corporate store near Crossroads
    >Shopping Center.

    Hopefully most people never have to deal with customer service. I've heard
    bad things about Sprint's but in about 6 years I've never used it,
    fortunately.

    Spud wrote:

    > Thinking about changing from Sprint.
    >
    > Does anyone know how the coverage is in the RTP area?
    >
    > Thanks
    My wife just switched from Sprint to Cingular. Dead spots with Sprint
    in Alamance County and places where I have problems with Verizon are
    have not been a problem with Cingular.

    In article <jqctp0lbq110pspknqia7h14njfiaii0mc@4ax.com>,
    Spud <spud@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > >Probably a good thing. From what Clark Howard says on his radio show,
    > >Cingular has the worst customer no-service rating in the industry. Based
    > > on my recent experiences with them, I believe the rating to be
    > >accurate, particularly with their corporate store near Crossroads
    > >Shopping Center.
    >
    > Hopefully most people never have to deal with customer service. I've heard
    > bad things about Sprint's but in about 6 years I've never used it,
    > fortunately.

    Sprint customer service has 3 years straight now rated worst for
    customer service in J D Power surveys. Then Sprint lays folks off and
    outsources the rest.

    In <jzwick3-016D57.21294019112004@news1.east.earthlink.net> on Sat, 20 Nov
    2004 03:29:40 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

    >Sprint customer service has 3 years straight now rated worst for
    >customer service in J D Power surveys. ...

    Actually a tie in 2004 between SprintPCS, ATTWS, and Cingular:
    <http://www.jdpower.com/cc/telecom/jdpa_ratings/wireless/Find.jsp?s=4>

  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Say hello to Suncom. If you are AT&T Wireless and you are in the Raleigh
    or Charlotte area Cingular has sold you to Suncom!

    --
    dlginnc
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "dlginnc" <dlginnc.1g1a2a@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote in message

    > Say hello to Suncom. If you are AT&T Wireless and you are in the Raleigh
    > or Charlotte area Cingular has sold you to Suncom!

    they were exchanged with licenses in VA as part of the merger deal, and
    this has been known for quite awhile!
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    ajg wrote

    > they were exchanged with licenses in VA as part of the merger deal,
    and
    > this has been known for quite awhile!

    Aparantly SPUD was not aware of the transaction. Neither was I when I
    purchased a ATT Wireless plan in a company store recently. They aren't
    disclosing the change to Suncom here in Charlotte., at least in the ATT
    Wireless stores that have not been rebranded.

    --
    dlginnc
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In <xCPnd.17941$DE1.780323@twister.southeast.rr.com> on Sat, 20 Nov 2004
    22:33:01 GMT, "ajg" <analogtiger@howardsternsfourms.com> wrote:

    >"dlginnc" <dlginnc.1g1a2a@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Say hello to Suncom. If you are AT&T Wireless and you are in the Raleigh
    >> or Charlotte area Cingular has sold you to Suncom!
    >>
    > they were exchanged with licenses in VA as part of the merger deal, and
    >this has been known for quite awhile!

    An exchange of licenses (spectrum) is one thing; an exchange of customers is
    another thing entirely.

  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    >Say hello to Suncom. If you are AT&T Wireless and you are in the Raleigh
    >or Charlotte area Cingular has sold you to Suncom!

    Not exactly sure what this means but it sure doesn't sound good.

    Spud, watching the dust settle
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Spud <spud@yahoo.com> wrote
    > Does anyone know how the coverage is in the RTP area?

    Wireless Week is reporting today:

    Cingular Wireless has opened its third retail store location in
    Raleigh, N.C. The company also added 17 new cell sites in the state
    this month in an effort to enhance its wireless coverage in Raleigh
    and throughout Eastern North Carolina.

    tg.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "tom glaab" <glaabtom@netscape.net> wrote in message
    Spud <spud@yahoo.com> wrote
    > Does anyone know how the coverage is in the RTP area?

    Wireless Week is reporting today:

    Cingular Wireless has opened its third retail store location in
    Raleigh, N.C. The company also added 17 new cell sites in the state
    this month in an effort to enhance its wireless coverage in Raleigh
    and throughout Eastern North Carolina.

    tg.

    Coverage is good , just not so good indoors due to the fact that cingular
    runs at 1900mhz in the Carolinas and that doesn't penetrate buildings.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "AT" <AT@somecracked.org> wrote in message

    "tom glaab" <glaabtom@netscape.net> wrote in message
    Spud <spud@yahoo.com> wrote
    > Does anyone know how the coverage is in the RTP area?

    Wireless Week is reporting today:

    Cingular Wireless has opened its third retail store location in
    Raleigh, N.C. The company also added 17 new cell sites in the state
    this month in an effort to enhance its wireless coverage in Raleigh
    and throughout Eastern North Carolina.

    tg.

    Coverage is good , just not so good indoors due to the fact that cingular
    runs at 1900mhz in the Carolinas and that doesn't penetrate buildings.

    meant to say doesn't penetrate buildings as well as 800/850mhz
  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In <wkasd.26756$Mu3.1656605@twister.southeast.rr.com> on Sat, 04 Dec 2004
    03:40:12 GMT, "AT" <AT@somecracked.org> wrote:

    >Coverage is good , just not so good indoors due to the fact that cingular
    >runs at 1900mhz in the Carolinas and that doesn't penetrate buildings.
    >
    >meant to say doesn't penetrate buildings as well as 800/850mhz

    It's not that simple. While 1900 penetrates wall less well than 800/850, it
    does a better job of penetrating small openings (e.g., windows). Overall the
    difference is usually relatively small.

  19. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In <wkasd.26756$Mu3.1656605@twister.southeast.rr.com> on Sat, 04 Dec 2004
    03:40:12 GMT, "AT" <AT@somecracked.org> wrote:

    >Coverage is good , just not so good indoors due to the fact that cingular
    >runs at 1900mhz in the Carolinas and that doesn't penetrate buildings.
    >
    >meant to say doesn't penetrate buildings as well as 800/850mhz

    It's not that simple. While 1900 penetrates wall less well than 800/850, it
    does a better job of penetrating small openings (e.g., windows). Overall
    the
    difference is usually relatively small.

    tter

    While that may be technically true, my real world experience has been the
    deciding factor for me. I have used both Alltel & Verizon CDMA 800mhz
    service all over the Raleigh durham area, and have used Cingular's 1900mhz
    service all over the same area, and Cingular is SOOO much worse indoors than
    the others. In areas where I have full strength on alltel , and I walk
    inside a structure (like a mall), my signal would drop a bar or two, whereas
    with Cingular I regularly drop from FULL signal outside the door to NO
    signal inside. This has happened all over the area, and unless a cingular
    tower is extremely close the rf performance indoors is terrible.
    Fortunately, the areas I need service the most with Cingular are areas with
    relatively strong levels, but when my contract is over I'm going back to
    CDMA in the carolinas.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In <Ztnsd.12215$8S5.1456849@twister.southeast.rr.com> on Sat, 04 Dec 2004
    18:37:45 GMT, "JG" <JG@aRRdomainnearyou.com> wrote:

    >It's not that simple. While 1900 penetrates [walls] less well than 800/850, it
    >does a better job of penetrating small openings (e.g., windows). Overall
    >the difference is usually relatively small.

    >While that may be technically true, my real world experience has been the
    >deciding factor for me. I have used both Alltel & Verizon CDMA 800mhz
    >service all over the Raleigh durham area, and have used Cingular's 1900mhz
    >service all over the same area, and Cingular is SOOO much worse indoors than
    >the others.

    You can't determine frequency-related performance by comparing different
    carriers. That's probably a carrier issue, not a frequency issue.

  21. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In <5Ctsd.1761$Pw1.595200@twister.southeast.rr.com> on Sun, 05 Dec 2004
    01:36:01 GMT, "JG" <JG@aRRdomainnearyou.com> wrote:

    >You can't determine frequency-related performance by comparing different
    >carriers. That's probably a carrier issue, not a frequency issue.
    >
    >Do you ever NOT have an answer for any question?

    Do you ever READ the post you're quoting and responding to?

    >I thought this thread was
    >about Cingular's coverage in Raleigh nc.

    What you responded to was:

    >>... just not so good indoors due to the fact that cingular
    >>runs at 1900mhz in the Carolinas and that doesn't penetrate
    >>buildings.

    >>meant to say doesn't penetrate buildings as well as 800/850mhz

    >It's not that simple. While 1900 penetrates wall less well than
    >800/850, it does a better job of penetrating small openings (e.g.,
    >windows). Overall the difference is usually relatively small.

    >I live in raleigh, do you?.

    The above material isn't specific to Raleigh in any way. If you're just
    responding to the Raleigh part of the thread, then you should have made that
    clear; e.g., by trimming away the part above.

    >... It definitely is a carrier issue as you say,

    Indeed.

Cingular Internet Service Providers