Help for a Small Network

McDouglas

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003
Basicly, u buy 3 network cards, 1 switch, and 3 utp cable... connect them and u have networked 3 computers ;)

Please be a bit more specific, what aplications, services u want to use in the network. I guess, u want to use Windows file sharing... on linux u can utilise this with SMB.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
There are nics in each machine. There is a hub (I don't know if this qualifies as a switch?) All 3 are cat5 cabled to the hub.

Not one machine can see the others.

The Linux is their e-mail server; the XP holds the business software (insurance stuff; spreadsheet; word processor; presentation). The 98 belongs to the office manager, who's not letting go of her machine.

I'm fairly handy and literate around computers, but networking hardware gets me. It seems to me that we can get these 3 talking to each other.

McDouglas

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003
What do you mean, they cant see each other? Cant ping the others? If so, then make sure u installed tcp/ip correctly on windows machines (on linux, most of the cases it should work with default install), assigned ip adresses to machines and put them in the same network. If they can ping each other, then you are finished, ready to install the aplications (or set up windows sharing/smb).

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Have you assigned IP address' to each of the computers? Give each computer an IP address of 10.10.10.X where X is a number from 0-254 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

Then use command prompt in windows to see if u can ping one of the other computers in the network.

Why use windows when you can use doors?