Sign in with
Your question

Gainward Bliss 7800 GS+

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 28, 2006 2:47:25 PM

Hi

Anyone else out there using this card?

Mine's due for delivery tomorrow, to replace my X800 XT PE AGP, not expecting huge gains, but just wanted to know of anyones experience with the 7800 GS+

Thanks

More about : gainward bliss 7800

September 28, 2006 3:31:26 PM

Thats the most rediculously overpriced card ive seen.
Thought of buying it, but then i just figured that getting a PCI-E motherboard + a better card would actually be cheaper.

The 7800 GS+ would be only a very small gain over ur other card, maybe 5 FPS at 1280x1024 with 4xAA in F.E.A.R. at STOCK, assuming that this is the 24 pipeline version and not the 20, but if im not mistaken the GS(+) has all unlocked. If u overclock u can get some pretty decent performance, since the 7800 GS+ is like a very overprices 7900 GS.
September 28, 2006 3:42:16 PM

£240 delivered. Thats about what I always pay for a card when I "upgrade"

I dont think thats overpriced tbh.

Yes it is the 24 pipe 7900 core version thats very overclockable. Reported easy to get 500mhz core 1400mhz mem, but seen an overclock to 560mhz 1500mhz! Will try find the link.

PCI-E would only have worked out similar priced if I stuck with a 256mb card. A 512mb card with new mobo came to £340 delivered. Way overpriced for what I need it for right now, and didnt want to have to rebuild PC entirely, when there is clearly life left in AGP ;-)

I'll do a big upgrade when Vista, DX10, and DX10 cards are available, stable and worth the investment.

Thanks for your response tho :-)
Related resources
September 28, 2006 3:48:53 PM

The gainward 7800 GS is actually a 7900 GT.
You'll see some gains with AA and at higher resolutions.

Dont' think I would personally have bothered upgrading if I already had an X850 XT PE... the money would have been much better spent on a PCIe motherboard and X1900 XT 256mb, which would have been a huge leap in performance, and will easily beat out a 512mb 7900 GT...

Architecture is much more important for performance than the amount of memory.
September 28, 2006 3:51:17 PM

X1900XT 256mb with a new board would have been best.

You dont seem like u know much abt graphics cards, but that makes sence.
In any case, u should be happy to know the 90nm G70 core can go up to 800Mhz, but id imagine u can get to 700 with just air cooling.

Of course, ur going to have to buy a new fan, so choose the VF900 or Accelero X1. Its best to buy a new fan in any case, they perform much better and lower the card's temeperature giving it a longer lifetime and they are completely silent.
September 28, 2006 3:56:17 PM

Quote:
The gainward 7800 GS is actually a 7900 GT.
You'll see some gains with AA and at higher resolutions.

Dont' think I would personally have bothered upgrading if I already had an X850 XT PE... the money would have been much better spent on a PCIe motherboard and X1900 XT 256mb, which would have been a huge leap in performance, and will easily beat out a 512mb 7900 GT...

Architecture is much more important for performance than the amount of memory.

I like the 7800 GS+ just because of it's core clock wich is very low but can overclock to the same speed as any other G71 card. Most of the time u pay for factory overclocking so its nice to see ppl clocking them down. Id even be happy with a 50Mhz G71 card.

But the 7800 GS+ is a WAY overpriced 7900 GT, and all other 7800 GSs are based on the G70 core wich can only be overclocked somewhat.
September 28, 2006 3:56:18 PM

Stock speeds in the VGA chart the 7800 GS+ is about midway between a X800 XT PE and a X1900 XT.
Im just squeezing life out of my current build, given that I will prob do a serious build and upgrade about June next year.

The current rig plays what I want at 1280 x 1024 with most games pretty much maxed, well the ones I play, but every frame counts ;-) And yes AA is a big factor to me. The X800 AA's well, but an extra 8 pipes can only help right!?!

Anyway, my reasons for not going PCI-E remain right now. Time is cost, effort is cost and yeah a few quid and few hours more would have seen bigger gains, but im lazy right now, one card out a new one in lol.....

What I am looking for is anyone who has this card and their input on its performance.....
a b U Graphics card
September 28, 2006 4:06:34 PM

Have a look here.

7800GS+ comments

I was very tempted, I was in a worse situation to you, dead socket (A), and DDR memory, so whatever I brought to get me to PCI-E would have menat new mobo, cpu, memory and GFX all at the same time, which is an expensive option. I don't buy most of the arguments 'you can get a mobo and cpu and gpu for less' Back in may when I was considering it you couldn't as cpu prices have only just dropped.

I held out and went with the C2D upgrade, and am still using gpu and memory.
September 28, 2006 4:23:51 PM

Quote:

You dont seem like u know much abt graphics cards, but that makes sence.
Quote:

That's nice. Totally necessary to get your point across. :roll:

Edit: having quote issues.
September 28, 2006 5:19:52 PM

Quote:
£240 delivered.

Okay. I live in the USA and Gainward don't sell this 24-Pipe Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ SILENT 512MB GDDR3 here.

Well, I doubt there will ever be a more powerful AGP card and I would like to have this one as the last and the best of its kind for the same reasons I still have a rig with a dual GPU 3DFX Voodoo 5....

Problem is, I want it new in retail package. Would you know who the best online vendor in Europe is and whether they ship to the USA? I mean we have NewEgg.com here. Are there any online retailers who are just as reliable and reasonably priced in Europe?

Thanks.
a b U Graphics card
September 28, 2006 5:34:27 PM

Quote:
£240 delivered.

Okay. I live in the USA and Gainward don't sell this 24-Pipe Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ SILENT 512MB GDDR3 here.

Well, I doubt there will ever be a more powerful AGP card and I would like to have this one as the last and the best of its kind for the same reasons I still have a rig with a dual GPU 3DFX Voodoo 5....

Problem is, I want it new in retail package. Would you know who the best online vendor in Europe is and whether they ship to the USA? I mean we have NewEgg.com here. Are there any online retailers who are just as reliable and reasonably priced in Europe?

Thanks.

I know that overclockers.co.uk have shipped from the UK to Sweden in the past, so perhaps they will ship to the US too.
September 28, 2006 7:02:40 PM

Quote:
I know that overclockers.co.uk have shipped from the UK to Sweden in the past, so perhaps they will ship to the US too.

Yeah. Just went there to place the order. They do ship to the USA. Total price comes out to about 214.74 GBP (no VAT) or US $402.9. Ouch.
September 28, 2006 7:42:50 PM

Quote:

Yeah. Just went there to place the order. They do ship to the USA. Total price comes out to about 214.74 GBP (no VAT) or US $402.9. Ouch.

Oh, and more :!: After much searching I found this review of

Gainward BLISS 7800GS Silent 512 GS+ AGP: G71, 24/8 Pipes

overclocked to @551/1502Mhz

But the article is in German. Could someone who speaks German help me figure out what was involved in the overclocking? Did they use the sotck cooler or something else?

Guys, this is just amazing. This card OCed scores 9,081 in 3DMark05 :!:

Now, Cleeve's rig

Radeon X1900 XTX (stock)
Athlon64 2.6 Ghz

3dMark05 Score is 10,216

I need opinions and input as I am about to order that AGP monster. Here's my reasoning:

A (current generation) high-end PCI-Express rig similar to Cleeve's would cost 1500 or more to build because with Core 2 Duos around it makes no sense to get a PCI-E motherboard which will support my P4 and PC-3200 RAM. With this in mind, I would have to pretty much build a brand new machine which will be obsolete a year from now.

At the same time, I am thinking, spending $400 on this Gainward card and OCing it would definitely be enough for a year or so until Vista, DX10 and next gen cards are fine-tuned enough to justify building a complete next gen rig....

How does this sound to the lot of ya?
September 28, 2006 8:20:19 PM

Yeah, but I've seen people get over 10k in 3dMark05 with an OCd X1900 GT for $200... and 9k is almost guaranteed.

That leaves you $200 for a socket 939 AMD mobo and CPU...

Heck, a friend of mine just bought a socket 939 MSI mobo and Athlon-64 based Sempron 3000+ for $107 USD from Tigerdirect.

Those Socket 939 semprons perform within 5% of an Athlon64 3000+ in games, and they overclock well, too...

So that costs $300 so far. Sell your old mobo and CPU for $100, and the whole upgrade costed you $200.

Add another hundred to get an X1900 XT 256mb, and you're still $100 cheaper than your Gainward solution, with 9k in 3dMark05 without overclocking...

Core 2s are great, but in practical gaming situations at resolutions above 1024x768, an Athlon64 is almost as good. It's still the videocard that limits performance.
September 28, 2006 9:18:09 PM

Quote:
Add another hundred to get an X1900 XT 256mb, and you're still $100 cheaper than your Gainward solution, with 9k in 3dMark05 without overclocking...

Hmmm..... aside from the need to reinstall the OS and all of the software this sounds better especially considering that when the time comes to retire this rig and build a complete next generation one I can reuse the X1900 XT 256mb in the third PCI-Express slot for physics processing. Right :?:

... and at that point I could probably sell the S939 board + CPU for about $50 or so.

This way, it seems, the whole intermediate upgrade would cost me a total of ~$50 + time and effort since purchasing the X1900 XT 256mb would be like an advance investment into the next gen PC....

EDIT:

Quote:
... $100 cheaper than your Gainward solution, with 9k in 3dMark05 without overclocking...

Decisions... decisions. Are two days of labor to install mobo/cpu and reinstall + tweak everything worth 100 bucks (I actually earn just over $200 a day after taxes so thinking in those terms kind of sounds like, damn, I will have to expend 400 bucks worth of effort doing this...)? Or is it easier just to swap out the video card, use the rig for another year and then put it in my little museum of my old rigs? Hmmm.... :? [Because by doing what you suggest I will not be getting a future proof machine anyway... ]

Nah, I think I'll go ahead and order that last of the Mohicans. Thanks for your time and comments Cleeve. It may sound strange, but though you recommended the opposite course of action your message did help me arrive to my final decision.
a b U Graphics card
September 28, 2006 11:28:51 PM

I so go with Cleeve on this one (nothing new). For that price, If you already have PC3200, you are looking at a $240 X1900XT, $70 NF4 mobo, and a $98 San Diego 3700+for the same cost as that Gainward shipped to you. Shoot now factor in selling your current mobo/cpu/6800U, and you could factor in an fster CPU if you wish.

What are your current specs? I feel pretty safe to say the $400 combo I mention above would easily outperform your current rig witht he Gainward added.
September 29, 2006 4:00:01 AM

Quote:
What are your current specs?

Abit IS7
P4 Northwood 3.0 GHz (stock) w/HT (enabled)
2 Gb DDR-400 (PC-3200) Dual Channel (enabled)
eGeForce 6800 Ultra 256 Mb AGP 8X (stock)
Dual 120 Gb Seagate Barracudas SATA

Quote:
I feel pretty safe to say the $400 combo I mention above would easily outperform your current rig witht he Gainward added.

Hey, Paul :)  you know I respect you and Cleeve. Right? No, really. And I do not question what you say. Outperform it will, but by how much? Extra 700 points in 3DMark05? 1000 points?

My educated guess is that a 700-1000 point difference in the most common benchmarks has little or no discernable effect on real life performance. What I mean is that 9,100 vs. 10,100 is not that big of a deal. 5,600 vs. 9,100 is noticeable. Yes, I am sure I could get somewhat better results having spent the same $400 or less, but buying multiple components, selling my existing components, reinstalling OS and all of my software seems a bit too much work for not that big of a gain.

Again, I am not dismissing your and Cleeve's advice. I am willing to accept that there is something I am failing to understand. So, please, if you can refute this post (with my points in mind) I will listen.

I have not placed the order yet. I await further comments ... and thanks.
September 29, 2006 5:55:35 AM

Hey man. I know you're not disrespecting anyone, and hey, it's your rig - and there's certainly not any totalitarian right or wrong answer.

I do think your future upgrade path is better with the socket 939 rig - I doubt in a year you will be able to get an R600 or G80 derivitive on AGP - but you're certainly not wrong to have a different opinion.

And while I don't agree with you personally, if Ati and Nvidia don't release any more AGP cards, the Gainward will probably keep it's value for a while.
September 29, 2006 7:29:06 AM

Quote:
Hey man. I know you're not disrespecting anyone, and hey, it's your rig - and there's certainly not any totalitarian right or wrong answer.

I do think your future upgrade path is better with the socket 939 rig - I doubt in a year you will be able to get an R600 or G80 derivitive on AGP - but you're certainly not wrong to have a different opinion.

And while I don't agree with you personally, if Ati and Nvidia don't release any more AGP cards, the Gainward will probably keep it's value for a while.

Totally agreed there. I'm thinking of upgrading my overclocked Northwood's graphics card to a 7800GS+. It's currently running a 6800GT.

I think it'll also be interesting to see how my PCI-E 7900GT performs against a 7800GS+ that is clocked at EXACTLY the same speeds. See if the "ancient" AGP has finally reached it's limits as corporations are telling us, but i believe that we have far from reached the limit of what AGP can offer.
September 29, 2006 7:32:48 AM

Hey man! why are comparing these Video Cards just in 3DMark??
3DMark is not a real benchmark !!
Why ?? so listen ,My stock system got around 6800 in 3DMark2005 & Now 7700 !!
but in games...only 3~5 more Frame...
the X1900XT can eat any 7800 series...even the Gainward 7800GS+
so don`t think if the Gainward 7800GS+ can reach 9000 in 3DMark it can perform near the X1900XT...it`s a jock to compare these cards...listen to Cleeve and Pauldh. 8)
September 29, 2006 9:00:09 AM

Well, after all the discussion above, my 7800 GS+ has arrived this morning!
First thing of note is the security seal on the card packaging had been scrunched up and was not sealing the bag, suggesting it had been opened!! I called overclockers straight away, and they told me they have a had a few like this with Gainward..... really?

Anyway, I for the first time o/c'd my CPU last night with some simple advice from a forum member, and benchmarked with 3dmark03 gettting 12396 on the rig in my signature. A jump of 1000 marks over my previous score without o/c'ing the cpu.

I'll whack the Gainward in tonight, and bench mark it. Not sure what to expect from it, but it will give an indication over how much, or little, an improvement it is. Will keep you all posted.

Agreed with the comment that in real world gaming the benchmarks arent all that, but in the VGA charts here, it was showing up to around 40-50% gains in some areas, so we'll see.

Anyway, at least I know i've just about maxed out my rig as much as I can now, for the sake of £145, given i've basically sold my X800 XT PE AGP card.
a b U Graphics card
September 29, 2006 11:48:03 AM

Again, I go with Cleeve in taking no offense at all if you go with the Gainward. We just want to help in pointing out what seems to be getting alot more for the same money. Granted, more time/effort is at stake though, which to me isn't a big deal but to you it sounds like it may be.

To be honest, the Gainward is a nice performing card, so it's not really performance in question, just price and upgrade path. And while even an A64 3700+ easily outperforms a 3.0GHz P4, you really are quite set with that CPU to warrant adding a high end card like the Gainward ( A 3.0GHz P4 can play anything). If you had a slower P4 or AXP, I'd say by all means go new PCI-e for sure.

I actually had a similar rig to your's. I was a nut for the IS7 and used oodles of them. I had a P4 2.6C and 6800U in mine. So it's a great stable mobo I can see not wanting to replace it when you have a 3.0GHz cpu.

Anyway, I think you have to look at games not 3dmarks and compare a X1900XT to the 7900GT or even 7900GT OC. You could also look at the CPU charts for A64 vs your P4. WHile I think the A64/X1900XT is better in both repects, it ultimately is two nice rigs, your time, and your money at stake. I will tell ya, I was overloaded with AGP rigs and relieved to finally make the switch in my personal gamer, feeling more set for whatever card comes out next and not stuck paying a premium for an interface. But that Gainward doesn't need replacing for a long time.

Side note, if not for the 2GB of PC3200, I would have been pushing you toward C2D. :) 
September 29, 2006 3:55:43 PM

Many thanks to everyone for all the thoughts and advice...

Quote:
so it's not really performance in question, just price and upgrade path.

My upgrade path is:

1. Make my current rig viable for another year or so until Vista/DX10/next gen GPUs and new games establish themselves relatively firmly.

2. About 8-12 months from now build a completely new rig*** using top of the line next gen components and honorably retire my current rig or give it to my girlfriend.

It seems there has been a misunderstanding. I do not wish to "upgrade" my current rig. I just want to extend its useful life until I can replace it with a top of the line next gen across the board machine.

And I think that overall (give or take $100) installing that Gainward card should serve this purpose.

*** For the new rig my thoughts are as follows:

- I would not want to be stuck with a current generation PCI-E motherboard in a year from now or have to replace it. I am sure there will be newer, better motherboards then (therefore I am reluctant to switch from my IS7 to a PCI-E mobo);

- I am thinking a top of the line Core 2 Quadro a year from now (I know that most games and applications will not use all the cores :wink: but still. It has a nice ring to it and spells "longevity"). For this reason I am reluctant to go with Athlon that Paul and Cleeve recommended;

- What's the fastest RAM these days? PC2-8888 C4 (1111 MHz DDR)? I am sure there will be something more wicked in a year from now and I will need a "nex gen" motherboard to support it...

There are other considerations. How does this "upgrade path" sound?
September 29, 2006 4:25:51 PM

Sounds fine.

Peronally, I enjoy tinkering with the hardware, and I like what the Athlon64 architecture can do - so getting the socket 939 board/A64/X1900 XT would be very appealing to me.

But if you're not interested in tinkering and the re-install, the gainward might be alot more appealing to you. So it's simply a matter of taste.
September 29, 2006 4:46:52 PM

Quote:
But if you're not interested in tinkering and the re-install, the gainward might be alot more appealing to you. So it's simply a matter of taste.

:(  Oh, I wish this were true. I love tinkering with hardware, software and the OS. But there are only 24 hours in a day. Plus I do so much tinkering at work that at the end of the day the image of a PC's internal organs makes me nauseous :) 

To be honest, I am sick and tired of my job. I would gladly tinker in a different manner. You know? Design blalanced systems, test, benchmark them, that sort of thing... Or I would do this at home for fun. Thing is I usually sleep no more than 5 hours a day as it is. That's why I tend to build a supercomputer once every so many years and forget about it until it becomes obsolete at which point I build another one using the latest and the gratest of components available.
September 29, 2006 7:54:27 PM

Quote:
Well, after all the discussion above, my 7800 GS+ has arrived this morning! First thing of note is the security seal on the card packaging had been scrunched up and was not sealing the bag, suggesting it had been opened!! I called overclockers straight away, and they told me they have a had a few like this with Gainward..... really?

Okay. I will wait to congratulate you until you post that everything is fine.

Your message sort of spooked me: I am in the USA and I have decided that I do want this card. So, I will have to order from Europe. Scary.

- What if I get an open package like you did?
- What if it is a different or used/refurbished card inside?
- What if it is not a 24-pipe GS+ but a 20-pipe GS?
- What if I have to RMA it? This would suck big time with international shipping…

I have a few questions for you, if I may… and thanks in advance.

1. Was there a particular reason why you ordered from Overclockers? Are they the best/most reliable online vendor in Europe?
2. Did you check to see that you actually got your 24 pipes?
3. Did you try to OC it to 551/1502Mhz (see my post above)
4. Did you use Gainward drivers or reference drivers from nVidia?
5. What are your benchmarks?

Anyhow, I would appreciate any relevant information from you. If things check out I will place my order this weekend.
September 29, 2006 8:40:08 PM

Dunno why the package had appeared to be opened, this was just the antistatic bag.

The card is now installed.

Its showing as a GS7800 with 450mhz core. Doesnt say plus or mention the pipelines anywhere. Just the packaging mentions the pipelines.

Given the size, dual slot card, i'd say its a GS+ is the GS dual slot?

Anyway, untinstalled ATI drivers, uninstalled ATI card.
Installed Nvid card, installed Nvid drivers.

First run of 3DMark03 gave 14932, so over a 2.5k jump. That suggests it aint just a GS ;-)

Im gonna try some real world gaming now, and will keep you posted.

Everything has been smooth so far, apart from the security seal on the bag. All the other components were fully sealed in the box.

I bought from overclockers as they were the cheapest. I have received hard disks from them in Jiffy bags before, and I kid you not the drive in a plastic flimsy case had broken through the jiffy and was hanging out!!

Same with memory, jiffy. I boxed up the HD and sent it back, requesting they send another in the box I sent. It came in a Jiffy again. They dont learn or listen. But fortuanately the HDD is good so far.

The vid card however was very well protected and packaged.
September 29, 2006 9:07:51 PM

Thanks for your reply... Now....

Download RivaTuner then use it to see how many pipelines are active on your card.

The example below describes how to unlock 4 hidden pipes on GeForce 6800 to bring it up to the 16 pipes of GeForce 6800 Ultra. Use this example to figure out where to look for your current active pipes. The example contains many screenshots of RivaTuner interface.

EXAMPLE <== Click here.
a b U Graphics card
September 29, 2006 9:11:18 PM

The GS and the GS+ are different SKU's from gainward, they have different boxes, box art etc. so it if they are 'mixed up' it is intentional, and if people are doig that then they won't be in business for too long?
September 29, 2006 9:47:28 PM

personally, i'd have gone with a new motherboard and a PCIe card, but to each, his own. although you should get a nice boost over your X800XT.
September 29, 2006 9:55:36 PM

256Bit G71 (A2,24PP,8VP) with 512mb DDR3

Guess the 24PP is 24 Pixel Pipelines ;-) That version of RivaTuner is old tho anyway, whats the best tool for o/c'ing that card?

It was smooth as with maxed settings in EQ2. Only kept lighting to 1 light for shadows.
September 29, 2006 10:03:10 PM

BFG is not bad, it does the job quite well. I dont like the fact everything is locked, volts included. Its stable, I've heard the bliss has artifact problems, maybe some models of the bliss was opened by the retailer knowing this problem and disabled the shaders intentionally to prevent the complaints of customers.
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=2112593
September 29, 2006 10:05:56 PM

Quote:
256Bit G71 (A2,24PP,8VP) with 512mb DDR3

Guess the 24PP is 24 Pixel Pipelines

Yep-yep. Congratulations, man. As for overclocking I am pretty sure there is a utility on that Gainward CD that came with your card. This is no ordinary card. What I am about to say is NOT guaranteed, but if I were you I'd try this first.

Okay. I once bought a very special card from ASUS. It was no ordinary GeForce 3 Ti-500. It had multiple features which could only be made available by using ASUS drivers and software (like 3D Stereo shutter glasses support, for example). So use Gainward drivers and software.

Secondly, there are two ways you can OC the card: Software OC or low level (hardware) OC.

I would go with software and OC using either the utility from Gainward or uisng the simplest way of them all - CoolBits

URGENT EDIT: I changed the URL for CoolBits. Get it from the new location. Once you download the ZIP, extract it to your desktop, right-click on geforce_overclock.reg and select Merge. When prompted to add content to registry, say Yes. Then there will be several new options in the driver control panel. Overclock away :) 
a b U Graphics card
September 29, 2006 10:10:36 PM

Well, enjoy your card, and for a change of pace, do some before after benchies for us. ;) 
September 29, 2006 10:35:54 PM

I forgot about NVidia lol. There is nothing like NVidia drivers and utils fucking your rig.

Thats what Im getting now, NVidia apps that wont run or just hang or just sap a A64 X2 4400+.....

Knew I shouldnt have updated the NForce drivers!!

Will benchie some more as soon as I can get a decent o/c tool.
September 29, 2006 11:05:32 PM

ROFLMAO!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I have gone 525mhz core 675mhz mem on first o/c.

Just a small step for mankind...... new 3dmark03 score is...... 17321 !!

Hows that? Erm, its a huge step from yesterdays on X800XT PE. Its a huge step from the stock settings.

Now if only I can work out why installing the latest NForce3 drivers has wrecked my desktop!?! But 3D is working ok.

I tested in NVidia control panel 550mhz 700mhz and it said it was ok, so thats the next step after some gaming and seeing if we are all stable and gtg.

;-)

P.S that kind of improvement is WELL WORTH the investment and sticking with AGP.
a b U Graphics card
September 29, 2006 11:09:39 PM

Quote:
I forgot about NVidia lol. There is nothing like NVidia drivers and utils ****** your rig.

Thats what Im getting now, NVidia apps that wont run or just hang or just sap a A64 X2 4400+.....

Knew I shouldnt have updated the NForce drivers!!

Will benchie some more as soon as I can get a decent o/c tool.

Don't know how decent it is the 'expertool' which comes with all gainward cards should be ok for you to OC with.

I think it in fact works with all nvidia's not just gainwards.
September 30, 2006 12:02:48 PM

8365 in 3DMark05
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2006 2:10:51 PM

Quote:
8365 in 3DMark05

Not to rain on your parade, but I would have expected higher with such a nice rig like yours. I'm 1,400 points ahead with a 256MB X1800Xt without OC'in the cpu at all.

Of course, it's games that matter, enjoy the new card.
September 30, 2006 4:06:29 PM

Im not raving about that score! ;-) I thought it was a shade low. But plenty more to come from this card on the o/c front.

Out of interest, do you have a 03 score? Would like to know if its compareable.

Have you got a 625mhz core X1800?

****** UPDATE ******

Just noticed the settings hadnt saved on the o/c. That score is stock speeds. Will o/c back up and let you know the outcome.
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2006 5:11:04 PM

That score is X1800XT @ 692/792 with CPU at stock speeds. I added a compare link in my sig for ya. Without any overclocking I was around 8,900. Sorry, but I have not run 03 with this system.
September 30, 2006 5:33:45 PM

Awesome, Vinny. Keep it up and keep posting back. If you use NvTweak or CoolBits you need to check box "load these settings at startup" for the OC settings to stick. Otherwise the card will be reset to default on reboot.
September 30, 2006 6:08:10 PM

the 7800gs is the best agp card out there.none come better.sure it's a little pricey,but that's how it goes for agp.at any rate you are getting the best agp card for your money.as others have said you can unlock the extra pipes and over clock the piss out of it.and be happy,at least you can still get them.in very short supply here.have fun and goodluck.

Dahak

EVGA NF4 SLI MB
X2 4400+@2.4 S-939
2 7800GT'S IN SLI MODE
2X1GIG DDR400 MEMORY IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
520WATT PSU
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR
September 30, 2006 6:21:54 PM

Quote:
the 7800gs is the best agp card out there.none come better.sure it's a little pricey,but that's how it goes for agp.at any rate you are getting the best agp card for your money.as others have said you can unlock the extra pipes and over clock the piss out of it.and be happy,at least you can still get them.in very short supply here.have fun and goodluck.

Dahak

EVGA NF4 SLI MB
X2 4400+@2.4 S-939
2 7800GT'S IN SLI MODE
2X1GIG DDR400 MEMORY IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
520WATT PSU
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR
I've never seen anyone unlock a regular 7800GS.
September 30, 2006 6:42:10 PM

Quote:
I've never seen anyone unlock a regular 7800GS.

That's because they dont unlock :roll:
October 1, 2006 5:57:18 PM

Vinny, I see you've been busy having fun :wink: Please post some updates if you have any (max OC you managed to achive + benchmarks.)

Much appreciated.
October 2, 2006 8:50:27 AM

8697 was score for 550/700. Little improvement so throttled back to 525 / 675.

The card has been used in 3DMark03 & 05 and a couple of games, FEAR / EQ2.

Performs very well. FEAR looks great, but its one of those engines that always makes me feel sick when playing lol.
EQ2 looks fantastic. The lighting, shadows etc really do add the the immersion.

Dont know if the card started to hit the limits of or how much further I can safely push on a stock cooler.
Still yet to find a tool that allows me to set and save the settings that works!

Every reboot requires me to change the settings again.
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2006 8:59:33 AM

Try using gainwards expertool, I think I keeps settings... either that or I forgot to reboot after my last experiment in overclocking.
October 2, 2006 9:08:23 AM

I have a normal 7800GS that goes for about $250ish retail, and it scores in the 7000's in 3DMark05. As most people here have told me, it's too much money for an AGP card. The card you have is $400 and some odd dollars U.S.? :lol: 

I'm sorry, but nobody in their right mind should spend that kind of money on an agp card....and if they're going to, then at least buy the normal 7800GS for $250...because the performace delta isnt worth the money.
October 2, 2006 9:37:48 AM

Im getting fed up of hearing about the price of this card!

Surely, surely..... what I decide to spend £x amount of cash on is my business only?

Anyway, I understand the argument, and it is an argument for upgrading to PCI-E and X1900XT's etc, but that card will be useless in 6 months, if you want me to start trying to big it up.

Again, WHEN DX10, VISTA, DX10 cards and games are available, i'll consider spending extra cash on a new mobo and possibly other worthwhile components.

For now, this AGP card is more than good enough, especially when I sold the X800 XT PE Saturday to help absorb the cost of the new card.

Please post back if you have constructive things to discuss about the card, its performance, overclocking it, utilities etc, but if you are worried about the money, dont bother in this thread, and be safe and happy in the knowledge you havent spent that cash ;-)
!