How to spread Artic Silver on a C2D

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
The instructions for Artic Silver says to put a small dab of artic silver on the center of the chip... and then to put the heatsink on top of that... and smush it down so it forms a circle...

I dont like this... and so I spreaded a REALLY thin film over the top of the chip... It seemed to work better then my first attempt, which was to place as little of artic silver on the whole surface as I can... then a tiny drop in the center to smush it down...

Anyone else have had any experiances with different ways to apply Artic Silver/thermal paste on large CPU surfaces?

danny_discus

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
My experience with applying AS 5 is to clean both surfaces with many q-tips and isopropyl alcohol. Clean everything with alcohol well without touching anything with your bare hands after because skin oil can hinder heat transfer. My best results have been to take a clean razor blade and apply an almost transparent layer of AS 5 evenly on the chip and then secure the heatsink/waterblock. Before I applied a thick layer and it seemed to run about 1 to 2 degrees celsius hotter.
Thats my two cents :D

hball

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
All I did was but a small dab of AS5 in the center of the chip and took an old playing card and spread it over the surface of the chip. With a little pressure to bend the card, it spread amazingly thin.

hball

jimw428

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
My experience with applying AS 5 is to clean both surfaces with many q-tips and isopropyl alcohol. Clean everything with alcohol well without touching anything with your bare hands after because skin oil can hinder heat transfer. My best results have been to take a clean razor blade and apply an almost transparent layer of AS 5 evenly on the chip and then secure the heatsink/waterblock. Before I applied a thick layer and it seemed to run about 1 to 2 degrees celsius hotter.
Thats my two cents :D

The use of Q-tips is not recommended. Since they are cotton, they aren't lint free. A paper coffee filter is a much better choice for cleaning the HSF and CPU.

atp777

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I did as the instructions said and dabbed a small amount in the center and smushed the HS onto it. My P4 runs at a steady 85-87F (29C) at idle Air Cooled and maxes out at 130F (54C)

Kenyada

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
I use one of those fake plastic credit cards that come in junk mail. I cut it down to the width of the chip. It allows me to spread a very thin layer (see-through) on the chip. The paste is meant to compensate for microscopic pits in the metal, so any thickness in the layer of paste defeats its purpose.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
I dont like this... and so I spreaded a REALLY thin film over the top of the chip... It seemed to work better then my first attempt, which was to place as little of artic silver on the whole surface as I can... then a tiny drop in the center to smush it down...
Well, that's proof enough for me. I'm sold. I'll do it your way. :roll:

You know, all it takes is for you to follow the advice on Arctic Silver's website. It's really that simple.

Your first attempt was incorrect, which is why it didn't work well.

danny_discus

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
My experience with applying AS 5 is to clean both surfaces with many q-tips and isopropyl alcohol. Clean everything with alcohol well without touching anything with your bare hands after because skin oil can hinder heat transfer. My best results have been to take a clean razor blade and apply an almost transparent layer of AS 5 evenly on the chip and then secure the heatsink/waterblock. Before I applied a thick layer and it seemed to run about 1 to 2 degrees celsius hotter.
Thats my two cents :D

The use of Q-tips is not recommended. Since they are cotton, they aren't lint free. A paper coffee filter is a much better choice for cleaning the HSF and CPU.

Thanks for the tip, I appreciate it.

dan6470

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2004
Before I installed my C2D, I sent an email to Artic Silver to make sure:

Hi Dan,

It covers the area of the core for an Athlon 64. Pentium
dual cores are shoe box shaped. For them a thin vertical
line in the center of the heatspreader, extending to about
1/8" from the edges of the heatspreader works best. To do
so, the corner with the gold triangle should be on your
lower left.

--
Colin Thompson
Arctic Silver, Inc.