E6300 idel temp is 52C with TAT and core temp beta

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Heatsinks
  • Core Temp
Last response: in CPUs
September 28, 2006 4:45:03 PM

Hello,

I have a Core 2 duo E6300 with stock heatsink.
It is running at stock speeds.

I just used TAT and core temp beta.
My idle temps are 52C.

I am not sure why?

Any clues?
What can I do to reduce them?

How do I check if the stock heatsink is fit properly.

till now I have fully loaded the CPU at least 30 times while gaming, what are the chances that the CPU is damaged?

Thanks.

More about : e6300 idel temp 52c tat core temp beta

September 28, 2006 5:01:15 PM

Stop complaining, my friend's E6300 idles at 55 and loads at 82C (throttles). Granted, it's at 2.9GHz.

This from TAT.

If you're using Intel Stock cooling, GET ANOTHER COOLER, it sucks ass.
No, you're not going to damage your CPU by loading to even 85C.
September 28, 2006 5:34:11 PM

Well for a C2D it a bit hot IMO... My 6600 is idle @ 26C and under load 35C with a stock cooler so they aren't that crappy as such. Check if you cooler is mounted correctly..??? But I must state that I have a great airflow trough my case. (six fans)
Related resources
September 28, 2006 5:35:59 PM

I remounted it several times, rotating it 90deg twice... No luck. Then again, I was using the stock thermal pad.
September 28, 2006 5:43:35 PM

Quote:
I remounted it several times, rotating it 90deg twice... No luck. Then again, I was using the stock thermal pad.

Mmmm.... I'm using the stock thermal pad too... How's your casings airflow?
September 28, 2006 5:45:46 PM

Quote:
Stop complaining, my friend's E6300 idles at 55 and loads at 82C (throttles). Granted, it's at 2.9GHz.

This from TAT.

If you're using Intel Stock cooling, GET ANOTHER COOLER, it sucks ass.
No, you're not going to damage your CPU by loading to even 85C.

No need to be harsh on the guy. I'd be somewhat concerned with those temps myself actually, since it would be a new rig.

Is your friend considering an 3rd party HSF?

There are quite a few threads on this subject, and yet a few ended up getting lower temps after redoing the HSF again, and again.. or getthing a loud pop in fear of breaking their MB. :lol: 

Others find cooler temps with that Artic Freezer Pro.
a c 83 à CPUs
September 28, 2006 5:54:48 PM

Quote:

I don't think that re-using the pads is that great an idea...

my 6600 idles at 35/36 by TAT, using stock HSF and Pad.

Get some AS5 or similar to replace the used pad, and only because it is used, also what the case like with regards to airflow??
September 28, 2006 6:08:57 PM

I have been reading that the max temp for C2D is abt 60C.
If I fully load it then it may be fried in few weeks.
Any other suggestions about how to reduce the temps?
September 28, 2006 6:13:53 PM

60C isn't going to damage anything. Not to mention the throttling designed to protect it from overheating, to the thermal switch to where it acutally signals the PSU to shut down.

But considering its TDP is 65 watts it should be running cooler.

Just wish there was a sticky of a correct install HSF.

Or if someone with a rig that is running what would be considered normal, and pop one pin out the 4 could point out what temps they get when it isn't secured properly, might shed some light.
a c 83 à CPUs
September 28, 2006 6:15:26 PM

Quote:
60C isn't going to damage anything.

But considering its TDP is 65 watts it should be running cooler.

Just wish there was a sticky of a correct install HSF.

Or if someone with a rig that is running what would be considered normal, and pop one pin out the 4 could point out what temps they get when it isn't secured properly, might shed some light.

I'm more than sure that the re-sure of thermal pads is a bad idea...

Also is it throttling down the the 6x multi when idle?
September 28, 2006 6:23:40 PM

Heh.. since I don't own a 775 socket, not sure about the thermal pad, or if its actual thermal grease.

In any case, I would redo the thermal compound each time I felt as though it wasn't set right.

The only thing I would recommend to this guy, is to take the MB out, re-do the HSF installation, and run the MB outside to monitor temps, making sure the MB is sitting on cardboard.

Making sure all 4 pins are installed correctly by looking on the back of it, like some of the MB manuals state.
September 28, 2006 6:26:58 PM

No case cooling on this system. It's on Cardboard.

Yeah, the heatsink's mounted properly (those pins are poking out of the back!). I just don't trust the thermal pad: when I load the CPU, it jumps 10C to 66C in less than half a second.
a c 83 à CPUs
September 28, 2006 7:03:05 PM

Quote:
No case cooling on this system. It's on Cardboard.

Yeah, the heatsink's mounted properly (those pins are poking out of the back!). I just don't trust the thermal pad: when I load the CPU, it jumps 10C to 66C in less than half a second.

does it have forced air over it, else it is just relying on convection which is weak in comparison to forced airflow, or was that with both.

The thermal pad and paste comment was more to the OP who said that he reused it. Although I have mentioned it before to no effect.
September 28, 2006 8:14:05 PM

Cooling setup:

[code:1:beacf8e91c] Intel HSF
7600GT
| ---O---
_____|___|||||||||_
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ <--cardboard[/code:1:beacf8e91c]

That's it :-)
September 28, 2006 8:43:28 PM

I dunno, I could understand if those were load temps, then it wouldn't be something to be concerned about.

I know my P4 2.66Ghz is way out of the league of C2D CPU's, but the TDP is about the same. My TDP is 66Watts, compared to the C2D TDP of 65Watts.

With a room temp around 78-80F:

Stock HSF - idle temps normally sit at 43-44C.

Zalman 7700 - idle temps sit at the same 44C.

Now the main difference I do see with my setup is the load temps, that the Zalman help out on.

So just a quick question, would one main difference be the location sensor for the CPU, even though TDP is similar?
September 28, 2006 9:14:32 PM

i will say also, and agreeing too, that case airflow efficiency can have a HUGE impact on cpu temperatures (and temperatures of every other component in your case too)...

...before any changes in airflow, read 'virtually no airflow to be honest', i was idling around 58C on my X2 3800+ @ 2.0GHz under stock cooling (and overheating under full load)... and even after purchasing a 3rd party cooler (thermaltake blue orb II and a zalman VF700 for the gpu), temperatures didnt drop too much, maybe idling around 52C+... but, after making efforts to clear every obstruction i could, out of the way of any airflow, cables and all, and rearranging a couple things... now having an old ~60mm cpu fan intaking air from the rear onto my cpu, 2 case exhaust fans; 1 just below the cpu, and from the psu above (though the psu actually has 2 fans, but yeah)... 2*80mm fans intaking from the side panel at the bottom, blowing onto both hdds and the gpu, and 2*80mm at the front of the case at the bottom intaking air, just above the hdds (theres 2*80mm fans obstructed by the hdds, at the very bottom front of the case too, but again, theyre obstructed, so theyre not powered), theres also the stock chipset fan, but, aside from applying some as5, its still the same... i also reduced the cpu voltages too, instead of the stock 1.4v @ 2.0GHz, i used rightmarks cpu clock utility to drop the voltage down to 1.1v @ 2.0GHz... and now theres no difference between cool & quiet temperatures, and stock speed temperatures now, and, its completely stable at that voltage too, so, lowering voltages has a noticable impact on cpu temperatures too, at no loss of performance either (because the clock speed is still the same)...

...as far as noise levels, its really not that noisy to be honest, considering how many fans there are, just for the sake of good airflow (only ones you can hear really are the side panel and the psu)... because most every fan is running on only 5v connections, so, reduced fan speed all around

its always a good idea to place intake fans at the lowest level possible, as that will allow the colder air from outside your case to be brought in, cooling components as it travels upwards, only to be drawn back out again at the higher points in your case, resulting in very little heat buildup...

so, it works pretty well to be honest... and under full load on both cores, only gets up to around ~48-50C @ 2.0GHz, and idling anywhere from 30C to 40C+, depending on room temperature, so it works very well actually

i know i rambled abit... but i hope this helps some :) 
a c 83 à CPUs
September 28, 2006 11:13:47 PM

Quote:
Cooling setup:

[code:1:3ed8134101] Intel HSF
7600GT
| ---O---
_____|___|||||||||_
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ <--cardboard[/code:1:3ed8134101]

So no forced air, not even a little bit?? try some forced air, and see what happens, to simulate a case with airflow.
September 29, 2006 3:44:03 AM

I disabled smart fan control from BIOS.

My idle temps are now 48C from 52C.
I will check the heatsink in the evening and again post on the group.

1. What is the max speed of the stock fan?
2. Mine is 1800 RPM from the bios,
3. Which application can I use to find out the exact speed of the fan?

Regards,
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2006 4:21:05 AM

From what I've seen, you cant get above around 60C anyway no matter what the sensor reads - because throttling will keep slowing down the cpu to ensure it stays cool.
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2006 4:25:29 AM

I agree about the airflow. My old system idled at around 45C and loaded close to 60C when in an enclosed space. When I took it out so the side vent had access to fresh air it loaded at only around 45-46C. That was an a64 3000+ s754 OC to 2.35ghz. The voltage regulator on the motherboard (abit kv8-max3) was around the same temps as the cpu in both cases.
September 29, 2006 6:01:52 AM

Quote:
Cooling setup:

[code:1:311b73390f] Intel HSF
7600GT
| ---O---
_____|___|||||||||_
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ <--cardboard[/code:1:311b73390f]

While your setup is rather complex, you might want to consider applying for a patent
September 29, 2006 3:22:20 PM

i have the same problem, i have an E6600 with the stock cooler and using GEIL thermal compound, it loads with TAT at 70ºC, ive re-installed the heatsink some times but all its the same, if i open the case it goes down
3-4 ºC, i have a 12cm fan in the back of the case running at 1000 rpm and some other fans...... i dont know what to do, i just gave up.....
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2006 5:15:28 AM

Ill tell you what to do, get a new cooler.
October 5, 2006 5:26:40 AM

Quote:
Well for a C2D it a bit hot IMO... My 6600 is idle @ 26C and under load 35C with a stock cooler so they aren't that crappy as such. Check if you cooler is mounted correctly..??? But I must state that I have a great airflow trough my case. (six fans)

wow what room temp do you have to achieve this?
October 5, 2006 12:08:29 PM

Quote:

wow what room temp do you have to achieve this?

Don't thrust his temp readings, he probably is getting those temps from an app that read the TM1 sensor or even a thermistor located under the socket...

Intel's TAT (Thermal Analysis Tool) and Core Temp both read from the TM2 DTS which is located deep inside the core, right next to one of the hotter part of the core, explaining why those two apps tend to return much higher readings.
October 5, 2006 12:46:55 PM

I am getting 51C under load with my 3ghz E6300. 24-29C Idle depending on temp it is in my house. That is with stock cooling. But I do have a 120mm case fan blowing twards the stock heatsink.
October 5, 2006 12:58:55 PM

My E6300 idles at between 32 and 36, with all my case fans on quiet. On load with the case fans on full it still doesn't reach 40, except when overclocked. You must either have a faulty sensor or maybe you did something silly like leaving a plastic cover on the thermal pad or something. Try touching the heatsink and see if its hot to the touch, if it isn't then maybe it's not in proper contact, or maybe the heat is being efficiently carried away. Or you could try using another sensor to determine if you currently have a faulty one.
!