Sign in with
Your question

on Crossfire / SLI "enabled"....

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 28, 2006 5:21:59 PM

[Hooray, first post]

Good day

I'm spec'ing a new system...but I haven't followed the hardware world for 2~3 years
(This may belong in the mobo forum but I am looking for any info that may be graphics brand-specific)

- Is a Crossfire/SLI "enabled" board req'd if you're using the appropriate dongle connection between cards?
(ie. If I plan on using the dedicated link between cards, do I really need full 16 lanes going to each PCIe x16 slot?)

I plan on getting the X1900XT ....really considering the x1950
Mobo will be either the Asus P5WDH Deluxe or Giga's GA-965P-DQ6

weird question ==> if I did use the Asus (Crossfire-enabled), would there be any issue with then using an nVidia card (and maybe even going SLI)

cheers

More about : crossfire sli enabled

a b U Graphics card
September 28, 2006 5:32:33 PM

Crossfire and SLI are two separate technologies.

Crossfire = ATI

SLI = Nvidia

If you want to run Crossfire you need a Crossfire capable M/B!

If you want to run SLI you need an SLI capable M/B!
September 28, 2006 8:08:34 PM

Only Crossfire requires a dongle.
Crossfire also requires a 'Crossfire Master Card'. This special edition card comes with the dongle you need to run the cards in Xfire mode.
The second card can be a regular card.

SLI does not require a dongle or master card.

The X1950 XTX is overpriced.. the X1900 XT 256mb is in the same performance league for as little as $240

You cannot use SLI cards on a Crossfire board, and vice-versa.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 28, 2006 11:27:24 PM

Quote:
SLI does not require a dongle or master card.

SLI does require an SLI bridge, and its usually supplied by the manufacturer of the SLI capable M/B, the Video cards also need to be SLI ready to accept the bridge, which bridges from one video card to the other.
September 29, 2006 12:15:32 AM

Quote:
the Video cards also need to be SLI ready to accept the bridge
All PCIe Nvidia cards support SLI eliminating that as a possible issue.
a b U Graphics card
September 29, 2006 1:24:14 AM

Thanks for that Info!
I thought so but wasn't sure enough to state it. :wink:
September 29, 2006 7:31:26 AM

...Yes I know that C/Fire & SLI are diff. solutions from diff. manuf.'s
...& I know that C/Fire uses external cable/dongle & SLI uses a bridge

Let me try this again.... (for simplicity, forget SLI and just consider CF)

1) Masterless operation (possible w/ only certain card combinations...Yes? )
==>I thought this implied that the dongle was not neccessary and that the all comms was now over the PCIe. so...If all data is over the PCIe, is that when I need a Crossfire-enabled board? or I need an enabled board no matter what my little brain thinks up?

2) w/ Master
==> I seem to remember reading somewhere that Crossfire would still work even if the 2nd x16PCIe had only 4 lanes.so...do I really need to get a mobo with 2 full x16's

the GA-965P-DQ6 is one such case where the 2 points above might apply. It's "designed for dual graphics" but nary a mention about being CrossFire enabled

I fully admit that these questions may seem a$$-backwards but I have to nail down these loose ends in my understanding

thanks for your time people ~ cheers
September 29, 2006 12:54:44 PM

Quote:
the Video cards also need to be SLI ready to accept the bridge
All PCIe Nvidia cards support SLI eliminating that as a possible issue.

Sorry but now all.
Many if not all the models listed are not SLI capable.
I beleive all 7300GS
Many 7300 GT
6200TC
many of the 6600 and 6600LE
Many times it depends on the manufacture of the card. But most all the good cards and manufactures are SLI capable.

I think you'll find that these all run fine in SLi without an SLi bridge, I know for a fact that all variants of the 6600 do at a minimum.

You dont *need* the SLi bridge on any SLi setup, but it does improve performance where used.
!