Brother HL-2030 (DOS)

Hello NG
I have a laserprinter Brother HL-2030 on a XP sytem.
when i try to print out from an old DOS application - nothing
happens...frustrating...
Hope you have an idea about this problem...
Sensirely
Bjarne
11 answers Last reply
More about brother 2030

    "bsn" <bsnSnabelAoncableDoTdk> wrote in message

    > I have a laserprinter Brother HL-2030 on a XP sytem.
    > when i try to print out from an old DOS application - nothing
    > happens...frustrating...

    1. One of the MS XP NGs may be able to supply
    what you need.
    2. The practical difference between DOS and Windows
    is that printing any DOS document requires either a
    formatter or printer selection within the app. What
    old DOS app are you using?

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    > It's an old finance app. called PC-PLUS...
    > I can select printers in the app., but not Brother HL-2030 ...
    > Bjarne
    > Denmark

    I'm not up to speed on current usb printers under dos... I imagine you
    could share the printer over the network and define lpt1: to use the
    network printer

    net use lpt1: \\My-Computer-name\MyPrintername

    If you don't know your computer name you can find out at the command
    line
    ipconfig /all. If you're feeling lazy and know the name of your shared
    printer

    net use lpt1: \\127.0.0.1\MyPrintername
    where 127.0.0.1 represents your self on the network (loopback).

    >From the pc persective, dos prints to the network printer. windows sees
    the print job request from the network and prints it.

    You'll have to type in that command each time unless you want it
    persistent... if so "/Persistent:Yes" tacked at the end.

    "Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> skrev i en meddelelse
    > "bsn" <bsnSnabelAoncableDoTdk> wrote in message
    >
    >> I have a laserprinter Brother HL-2030 on a XP sytem.
    >> when i try to print out from an old DOS application - nothing
    >> happens...frustrating...
    >
    > 1. One of the MS XP NGs may be able to supply
    > what you need.
    > 2. The practical difference between DOS and Windows
    > is that printing any DOS document requires either a
    > formatter or printer selection within the app. What
    > old DOS app are you using?
    It's an old finance app. called PC-PLUS...
    I can select printers in the app., but not Brother HL-2030 ...
    Bjarne
    Denmark

    > Thanks so far...
    > Now I get a blank page from the printer...
    > Thats a little progress...
    > How do I get my data from my financeapp on the blank page???
    > Hope you have an idea...

    This is a very good question. I know jack about your software. I know
    brothers often support the following emulation

    HP LaserJet
    EPSON FX-850
    IBM ProPrinter XL

    You can for laughs type in the following at the command prompt
    echo test [ctrl-l] > lpt1:
    were [ctrl-l] IIRC represents the ctrl key on your keyboard and would
    be represented on the scrren as
    echo test ^L > lpt1:

    This will at least tell you if things are working and if your printer
    driver will inturperate straight ascii. It's possible that it does not
    in which case you might have to switch to using a different printer
    driver, like an HP laserjet II. Basicly add a printer, select the USB
    virtual port that corisponds to your printer, and select HP and
    Laserjet II for example .

    This is assuming that this model of brother supports HP emulation. You
    may have to consult your manual or support about emulation. The
    HL-2070N for example supports these things, I have no clue about your
    model.

    However. this is a big however. It's just as likely that there might
    not be any hope for you. Not to be an ass master but printing from dos
    apps can be very touchy in the 21th century. You can solve the usb
    problem by going over the network even via the loopback interface but
    there still is a language problem unless you buy a printer that
    supports

    1. Postscript. Big popular and universal
    2. HP emulation - big popular and most often supported
    3. EPSON FX emulation- Popular among dot matrix printers, even current
    OKIs support Epson emulation. Many lasers supported this as well.
    4. IBM Proprinter - Usually that option that no one uses unless it's
    their only choice.

    If you can't get this printer to work, find out what your software
    supports and pick a printer. HP and Epson are likely. On a new printer
    you might spend more money on something that works. On an old printer
    esp old parallel lasers it's likely not so much of an issue. It might
    be possible you might have to switch to a new version of the software
    to support windows printers. It's up to you which is worth your
    investement... printer that works or software that works with windows
    printers. If it was me i'd be hitting the local forsale groups for
    older HP lasers.

    In theory in windows there are options for dos printing support, but as
    this isn't an issue I deal with often I know nothing about that.

    Best of luck to you.

    "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> skrev
    > I'm not up to speed on current usb printers under dos... I imagine you
    > could share the printer over the network and define lpt1: to use the
    > network printer
    >
    > net use lpt1: \\My-Computer-name\MyPrintername
    Thanks so far...
    Now I get a blank page from the printer...
    Thats a little progress...
    How do I get my data from my financeapp on the blank page???
    Hope you have an idea...
    Bjarne
    Odense / Denmark

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 08:58:07 +0200, "bsn" <bsnSnabelAoncableDoTdk>
    wrote:

    >Hello NG
    >I have a laserprinter Brother HL-2030 on a XP sytem.
    >when i try to print out from an old DOS application - nothing
    >happens...frustrating...
    >Hope you have an idea about this problem...
    >Sensirely
    >Bjarne

    According to the specs, this is a GDI printer; that is you need to use
    the specific Windows driver, and your DOS app won't have this.

    There are workarounds.
    See this page, which is about how to use WordPerfect DOS, but is
    applicable to any DOS app:
    <http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/anyprinter.html>

    > What is WordPerfect DOS ???
    > Never heard of it...

    Word Perfect was released in 1985 or so. Windows 1.0 was released late
    1985 but wasn't a popular product at all. If you're not familar with
    word perfect it's a word processing application, the last version I
    know of for dos was 6.2 but typicaly 5.x is more common to see these
    days. Basicly organizations spent alot of time making forms for word
    perfect and didn't see any reason to upgrade.

    Alan sugests there is no chance in hell that dos software would support
    a GDI printer. As I don't know your printer personaly I must assume he
    is correct. The question is does your software support postscript, if
    so then you can install ghostscript which is a postscript inturperter.

    http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/faq.htm
    http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/redmon/index.htm

    In simple terms... it's as if your printer speaks only Chinese. You
    know how to phone someone in China (net use) but they are not likely
    to understand you because you only know Danish, German, Sweedish,
    Flemmish and English. Your only resolve is to find someone that knows
    Chinese and whatever you can speak to translate for you. Chances are
    you're more likely to find a Chinese/English speaker than a Chinese /
    Flemmish one.

    If your dos software supports postscript, for example the apple
    laserwriter NT, you can print to a postscript printer. You can run
    ghostscript which can act as a translator that can take postscript
    input, and via the windows driver print to your printer.

    Or

    You can accept that GDI printers are not a good idea if you need dos
    support and buy a printer that would be supported... one that supports
    Postscript, HP, Epson, or IBM emulation.

    "Alan" <none@none.com> skrev i en meddelelse
    > On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 08:58:07 +0200, "bsn" <bsnSnabelAoncableDoTdk>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hello NG
    >>I have a laserprinter Brother HL-2030 on a XP sytem.
    >>when i try to print out from an old DOS application - nothing
    >>happens...frustrating...
    >>Hope you have an idea about this problem...
    >>Sensirely
    >>Bjarne
    >
    > According to the specs, this is a GDI printer; that is you need to use
    > the specific Windows driver, and your DOS app won't have this.
    >
    > There are workarounds.
    > See this page, which is about how to use WordPerfect DOS, but is
    > applicable to any DOS app:
    What is WordPerfect DOS ???
    Never heard of it...

    > <http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/anyprinter.html>
    Thanks...
    Can you guide me to a specific section that covers my problem, on the above
    url ...
    Bjarne

    bsn,

    > I have a laserprinter Brother HL-2030 on a XP sytem.
    > when i try to print out from an old DOS application - nothing
    > happens...frustrating...

    HL-2030 is a GDI printer, accordingly with
    http://www.brother.com/europe/printer/info/hl2030/hl2030_spe.html

    This means that DOS cannot directly print to this printer because the
    printer needs an input generated by the Windows driver.

    You may want to have a look at Printfil which could connect your DOS app. to
    the Windows Printing System, allowing you to print to this printer, as well
    as any other Windows printer.

    More info and a free trial is available for download at
    http://www.printfil.com

    Kind regards,
    Davide Guolo
    Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
    http://www.printfil.com
    Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
    http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

    "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> skrev i en meddelelse
    >> What is WordPerfect DOS ???
    >> Never heard of it...
    >
    > Word Perfect was released in 1985 or so. Windows 1.0 was released late
    > 1985 but wasn't a popular product at all. If you're not familar with
    > word perfect it's a word processing application, the last version I
    > know of for dos was 6.2 but typicaly 5.x is more common to see these
    > days. Basicly organizations spent alot of time making forms for word
    > perfect and didn't see any reason to upgrade.
    Ok...
    > Alan sugests there is no chance in hell that dos software would support
    > a GDI printer. As I don't know your printer personaly I must assume he
    > is correct. The question is does your software support postscript, if
    > so then you can install ghostscript which is a postscript inturperter.
    Unfortunately...

    > http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/faq.htm
    > http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/redmon/index.htm
    >
    > In simple terms... it's as if your printer speaks only Chinese. You
    > know how to phone someone in China (net use) but they are not likely
    > to understand you because you only know Danish, German, Sweedish,
    > Flemmish and English. Your only resolve is to find someone that knows
    > Chinese and whatever you can speak to translate for you. Chances are
    > you're more likely to find a Chinese/English speaker than a Chinese /
    > Flemmish one.
    Ok...I don't want to speak Chinese...
    > If your dos software supports postscript, for example the apple
    > laserwriter NT, you can print to a postscript printer. You can run
    > ghostscript which can act as a translator that can take postscript
    > input, and via the windows driver print to your printer.
    >
    > Or
    >
    > You can accept that GDI printers are not a good idea if you need dos
    > support and buy a printer that would be supported... one that supports
    > Postscript, HP, Epson, or IBM emulation.
    I have learned the lesson...
    my pal got an older printer he gave to me, so now I can print my
    dosapp...:-)
    Thanks a lot for good explanation, and for helping me...
    Bjarne
    Denmark...

    "Davide Guolo" <guolo.NOSPAM.davide@libero.it> skrev i en meddelelse
    > bsn,
    >
    >> I have a laserprinter Brother HL-2030 on a XP sytem.
    >> when i try to print out from an old DOS application - nothing
    >> happens...frustrating...
    >
    > HL-2030 is a GDI printer, accordingly with
    > http://www.brother.com/europe/printer/info/hl2030/hl2030_spe.html
    >
    > This means that DOS cannot directly print to this printer because the
    > printer needs an input generated by the Windows driver.
    >
    > You may want to have a look at Printfil which could connect your DOS app.
    > the Windows Printing System, allowing you to print to this printer, as
    > well
    > as any other Windows printer.
    >
    > More info and a free trial is available for download at
    > http://www.printfil.com
    Thanks a lot...it works fine...
    Kind regards
    Bjarne