Home built external zip drive

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Zip Disk
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 28, 2006 5:36:25 PM

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, so if it is not, I apologize.

A friend of mine asked me to remove their old zip drive from one computer and turn it into an external zip drive to be used with any of their other computers.

I've never done this, but I thought I knew what needed to be done. I purchased this part http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
and when I recieved it I was able to power up the zip drive, but not able to get the computer to recognize the zip. It recognizes that there is a drive attached, but it does not seem to allow it to function.

Was I mistaken that this was the part I needed? What have I missed that is making this not function? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

More about : home built external zip drive

September 28, 2006 5:53:57 PM

I have the drivers, but when I plug the USB cable into the comp. The computer says the device is working propers, and does nothing to try and install a new device or recognize what this new device is.
September 28, 2006 5:57:59 PM

Can you see the drive in the 'my computer' window? I agree with mpilchfamily sounds like drivers. Do you have the current drivers installed?
Related resources
September 28, 2006 6:00:08 PM

Quote:
Well i think it was a good idea. But there seam to be bad reviews of it on newegg. I'm sure there is a better option though.
Honestly a ZIP drive is way out dated. Why is he still using one. Why not do what everyone else does. Use a flash drive.

She has a few files on zip that she wants to move to her flash drive. We just thought it would be fun to have it around in case some old zip files came up.
September 28, 2006 6:01:41 PM

Quote:
Can you see the drive in the 'my computer' window? I agree with mpilchfamily sounds like drivers. Do you have the current drivers installed?

No that is the problem no drive shows up in the "my computer" window. I'm not sure if the drivers we have are current the cable actually came with it's own set of drivers, but when I installed those nothing seemed to change.
September 28, 2006 6:07:07 PM

You may want to try adding it as a new device and direct it to the iomega drivers. The general nature of a zip drive does not lend itself to be a portable multicomputer device unless each computer has had the iomega drivers installed. I know XP comes with basic driver for the zip drives but they do not always work. If you are serious about keeping the ZIP as an external drive I would look for an external 3.5" drive enclosure, it will give a cleaner look. I feel the general intent of the device you purchased is more for recovering data from drives than as a long term connection.
September 28, 2006 6:08:54 PM

Quote:
You may want to try adding it as a new device and direct it to the iomega drivers. The general nature of a zip drive does not lend itself to be a portable multicomputer device unless each computer has had the iomega drivers installed. I know XP comes with basic driver for the zip drives but they do not always work. If you are serious about keeping the ZIP as an external drive I would look for an external 3.5" drive enclosure, it will give a cleaner look. I feel the general intent of the device you purchased is more for recovering data from drives than as a long term connection.

Thanks I will give that a shot.
September 29, 2006 5:36:38 AM

Ok downloading the latest drives from Iomega didn't seem to do it. The box for this cable seems to state that it only works with HDs. Is it possible the adpater is the problem?
!